+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: AGT 8 Quarterfinal # 2 Discussion **Spoilers**

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Re: AGT 8 Quarterfinal # 2 Discussion **Spoilers**

Shania Twain - You're Still The One (Lyrics On Screen) - YouTube

That's what he sang.

If he wins I hope this show gets cancelled.

Or better yet, they should have just cancelled all the votes he got and rigged it against him. It would have been more fair to the others.

To the Point

I don't hate country music and Marty is just beyond awful!! The judges should have sent him home before it ever got to this point.
    Shoepie likes this.

We're clearly in the minority here, unfortunately.

There's some cult out there that votes in the masses and puts genre, location, sex, and story above talent. I still hate this show.

I am one of those who fast-forwarded through Marty's performance after 3 seconds of him singing. It was that bad and I didn't even hear the part where he squeaked from a high note because he was so choked up. I thought he'll get through if at least he sang decent but after hearing what the judges said after his performance, I really thought he was going to be toast.

Well, he didn't made it as 4th or 5th, he actually ended up in the top 3! I was totally shocked. I thought Alexander or the little girl were so much better and one of them should have gone through. If he were 4th, I don't think he would have gotten the votes of the judges. But these country voters vote like hell regardless! So the judges didn't even get the chance to get rid of him.

He cried his way out through the entire song! Country singing crying grandpa I guess trumps all other acts. If he just stands up there in his pajamas scratching his nads and crying about his daddy, I'd bet he'd still make it through!
    Babbred and JohnnyK like this.

Now, not only will I stop watching this, but I think I'll be taking a break from all reality shows for a while. Last night was too horrible for me to want to be a part of anything.

Hunted around until I found Marty's performance this week. Oh my gosh, I can see why you guys are complaining. That was just painful. That wasn't a professional performance, that was karaoke night at the local honky tonk/ steak joint. Right now record execs are trembling in their boots over the thought of Marty winning. I mean, I don't care what knobs you turn in the sound booth, there is no way to make this guy sound good.

Unfortunately, I think TPTB are pimping this for every bit of human sympathy they can get. I mean, honestly, during that voiceover video I kept expecting the Duck Commanders to appear. It was just so wholesome...so pure...so I can't put it into words. And then the shots of fans in NYC. "We love you!" Has any other performer gotten that? Or the reaction shot of the adoring fans in the audience? Again, has any other performer gotten that? Of course not. And in a way, it's sad and I feel sorry for Marty. I mean, the producers of this show don't give a toss about him and his dreams. They just want America showing up and voting every week. They don't care that poor Marty will probably be tossed out like yesterday's NY Times as soon as the finale finishes. It's really pathetic that this show would take advantage of a poor old man like this.

I'll still watch next week because I want to see Kenicki again. I'm not emotionally invested in the show, though, since I know nobody has a chance against the Marty juggernaut. And please, spare us the pious outrage on the part of the judges. They could have stopped this at the audition and later Vegas. The only chance they have to redeem themselves now is to fill the wildcard show with some of Marty's rejects, so that maybe, just maybe some of them can find a modicum of success.

Please....please....please Forte, sing for your lives now. Somewhere out there a record producer knows you have the real talent. Please keep dazzling everybody so you can have the last laugh like Jackie.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I said it before and I'll say it again, last night set in stone that America are the worst reality show voters ever. Public voting is completely dead to me now.

FORT Fan

I'm not a fan of country music though I do love the song Marty sang on Tuesday night. I've been annoyed from the start that it is usually a singer who wins the whole thing. Although I didn't watch the whole season last summer, I am glad that the dog show won. It's boring to almost always have a singer win. I remember coming to this board the very first season this show was on. Someone wrote early on that a singer would win, because that is what the majority of the country likes -- singing. I thought they were wrong because I thought people had their fill of singing from shows like American Idol. Nope, they were right.

There's no law that says you have to vote based on the performance that night vs. voting based on how much you like the contestant overall so I see no reason for Marty to quit the show based on his "conscience." Who would ever do that?

I found it odd that 3 of the 4 judges acted like the synchronized swimmers were a unique group & where else could you ever see such an event. Do they not watch the Olympics? Finally Howie Mandel pointed out that synchronized swimming is part of the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
    I'm not a fan of country music though I do love the song Marty sang on Tuesday night. I've been annoyed from the start that it is usually a singer who wins the whole thing. Although I didn't watch the whole season last summer, I am glad that the dog show won. It's boring to almost always have a singer win. I remember coming to this board the very first season this show was on. Someone wrote early on that a singer would win, because that is what the majority of the country likes -- singing. I thought they were wrong because I thought people had their fill of singing from shows like American Idol. Nope, they were right.

The only thing I can figure is maybe people like singing because it's so easy. I mean, everybody can sing. All you have to do is open your mouth. All of these other talents require years of practice or (like the comedians) unique ability. However, when the singers get up there, America says, "See! That's just like me! I could do that!" And then they vote based on that affinity.

There's no law that says you have to vote based on the performance that night vs. voting based on how much you like the contestant overall so I see no reason for Marty to quit the show based on his "conscience." Who would ever do that?
    He might be a nice old man, but he's still living his dream just like the other acts. He'll ride his wave all the way to the end. I don't necessarily blame him. He just showed up and sang. Why shouldn't he enjoy his 15 minutes of fame? I blame the judges for giving in to pressure and putting him through in the first place. That's why I don't listen to their comments after his performances. They have nobody to blame but themselves, so how can they criticize?

I found it odd that 3 of the 4 judges acted like the synchronized swimmers were a unique group & where else could you ever see such an event. Do they not watch the Olympics? Finally Howie Mandel pointed out that synchronized swimming is part of the Olympics.

Thank you! Good grief almighty, people. I realize that the big-name sports get most of the coverage at the Olympics. However, I have always enjoyed sports that emphasize beauty and grace, so I've enjoyed the sync swimming for several Olympics now. Sheesh. And as a side note, I didn't think Aquanuts were that good, so I didn't mind them not getting through.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Glad Forte made it through. I am really, really hoping they pull a Jackie, get a contract, and end up on PBS laughing while this season's winner ends up as a footnote.
    I saw her special on PBS, and while I will say she is the epitome of grace (I mean she applauded other singers who were featured with her and gushed wonderful comments to them) I think inside she's glad she didn't win because she has gone MUCH FURTHER without the title.

Looking forward to next week. Alas, though, I'm with the other gloom-and-doomers here. It looks like this is Marty's season to lose. Gads, at least Susan Boyle had real talent.
    Yeah, Marty sounded like fingernails on a chalkboard. I only saw the "last night" information on AGT because I wanted to watch another show, and I'm glad I did.

Folks say why don't I enter the show because I'm an "amazing juggler" (their words, not mine)... it's BECAUSE I would lose out to folks like this. I mean Charles Peachock, who IMHO is a phenomenal juggler and he lost out to a bad impressionist. I still am dumbstruck that Howie would DARE call someone who bounce-juggled five balls in sync to "Jailhouse Rock" (not an easy song to juggle to begin with, let alone PLAY while juggling) was the same as a guy BLOWING one ping-pong ball onto a xylophone.

The judges lay it on thick with folks who are not nearly as talented and those who are get shafted. Has happened for far too long in this show, and it's why we only have had one long term success winner - Terry Fator (ironically the ONLY non-singing win until the Olate Dogs last season), and one runner-up long term national success (Jackie Evancho).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast