+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 61
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent 7 Semifinal #1 (Aug 28-29) Discussion *SPOILERS*

  1. #51
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,203

    Re: America's Got Talent 7 Semifinal #1 (Aug 28-29) Discussion *SPOILERS*

    Buckeye, I agree with you to a point on your suggestions; however, while I like two of the three advancing (Tom an exception, but am OK with him), I have to admit that all three are stronger long term in the realm of a Las Vegas act should they be able to carry it beyond the opening act for a Vegas show.

    Here are the reasons for the suggestions you made that I can see why they ended up out:

    Dittleman - he had some good tricks; however, most of us could figure the sleight of hand that makes him a mentalist more than a psychic (those tiny details that you see Patrick Jane figure out in people on "The Mentalist"). When observers can catch this, there is a problem with the act, and additionally it's a harder act to do a true Las Vegas show long term.

    The Scott Brothers - I liked their uniqueness, but they shot themselves in the foot a bit with their "vote for us" or arguing with the judges (all I heard from my parents was that they did something that wasn't popular). They also can't - just as the duo - hold a Vegas audience long term.

    Rebecca & Donovan - I too was sad this team lost out; however, long term it's the same problem as far as a Vegas show - at least solo. That said, this does open up the door for them doing several Cirque shows, which might love having a husband wife duo who know each other's strengths/weaknesses that will allow them to try various new tricks. I could see this group as another Evancho in that reason.

    Academy of Villains - they didn't have a chance thanks to being on the same night as overhyped Turf and a YouTube act. I do think this performance as better though, and they didn't get eliminated by being a bad act, just being on a night of strong performances.

    Todd Oliver - good idea, but I think long term it's hard to have just the one dog for the sketches. He can expand it similar to Jeff Dunham; however, as it was just him and the little dog... I don't think it was as strong of a Vegas show.

    Of course, we also vote for favorite act not just best - this case I think it was a bit of both, and it was just a curse that only three could move on. Personally, I think R&D and Oliver would've been the other two acts going by this analysis - you CAN expand their acts.

  2. #52
    Great Balls Of Fire! MReid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Age
    26
    Posts
    3,466

    Re: America's Got Talent 7 Semifinal #1 (Aug 28-29) Discussion *SPOILERS*

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post
    I must be in the minority. I'm very disappointed in the 3 who made it. The earth harp does nothing for me, and I don't care for his singers. Maybe you have to be there to really get the whole magic of it. I'm kind of tired of the feel-good artistry with music in the background that Joe Castillo does. Reminds me of the dance troupe last year who made the images with themselves while inspirational songs being played. I might like Tom Cotter, except I'm trying to enjoy the show with my children, and a lot of his jokes are too adult for them.

    I would have preferred (in no particular order) Dittleman, The Scott Brothers, Rebecca & Donovan, Academy of Villains and, yes, even Todd Oliver over those three. However, I'm not voting so I have no room to complain. I doubt my votes would have had any affect. Nobody else seems to agree with me except on a few!
    OMG FINALLY someone who agrees with me!!! whats the big freaking deal with william close he is not the best act im so tired of people making a big deal over him and if he wins im going to be really disappointed! ittleman, The Scott Brothers, Rebecca & Donovan, Academy of Villains were all so much better acts I agree with you 100%!

  3. #53
    FORT Fogey Babbred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow...
    Posts
    2,904

    Re: America's Got Talent 7 Semifinal #1 (Aug 28-29) Discussion *SPOILERS*

    Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Buckeye, I agree with you to a point on your suggestions; however, while I like two of the three advancing (Tom an exception, but am OK with him), I have to admit that all three are stronger long term in the realm of a Las Vegas act should they be able to carry it beyond the opening act for a Vegas show.

    Here are the reasons for the suggestions you made that I can see why they ended up out:

    Dittleman - he had some good tricks; however, most of us could figure the sleight of hand that makes him a mentalist more than a psychic (those tiny details that you see Patrick Jane figure out in people on "The Mentalist"). When observers can catch this, there is a problem with the act, and additionally it's a harder act to do a true Las Vegas show long term.
    I never figured out any of his tricks. I'd really love to know, though, how he did the "drawing Howard" and the "Deal or No Deal" take-off. I was as impressed as the judges.

    The Scott Brothers - I liked their uniqueness, but they shot themselves in the foot a bit with their "vote for us" or arguing with the judges (all I heard from my parents was that they did something that wasn't popular). They also can't - just as the duo - hold a Vegas audience long term.


    Shame, though, because I enjoyed watching them.


    Rebecca & Donovan - I too was sad this team lost out; however, long term it's the same problem as far as a Vegas show - at least solo. That said, this does open up the door for them doing several Cirque shows, which might love having a husband wife duo who know each other's strengths/weaknesses that will allow them to try various new tricks. I could see this group as another Evancho in that reason.
    I was SO disappointed that they didn't make it. I can see your point, though. Trying to do an entire show by themselves might be kind of hard. I will definitely miss them, though.

    Academy of Villains - they didn't have a chance thanks to being on the same night as overhyped Turf and a YouTube act. I do think this performance as better though, and they didn't get eliminated by being a bad act, just being on a night of strong performances.




    Todd Oliver - good idea, but I think long term it's hard to have just the one dog for the sketches. He can expand it similar to Jeff Dunham; however, as it was just him and the little dog... I don't think it was as strong of a Vegas show.

    Again, I agree. I thought he was cute, but definitely not a Vegas act.

    Of course, we also vote for favorite act not just best - this case I think it was a bit of both, and it was just a curse that only three could move on. Personally, I think R&D and Oliver would've been the other two acts going by this analysis - you CAN expand their acts.
    I totally agree that it stinks that only 3 acts could go on. I really think R & D would have grabbed one of those extra spots.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

    Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

  4. #54
    I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Where the Thunder Rolls
    Posts
    2,503

    Re: America's Got Talent 7 Semifinal #1 (Aug 28-29) Discussion *SPOILERS*

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    While I think that the three acts that advanced were the most deserving, I dislike the fact that the judge's pick was used in this round. (To be honest I'm not a fan of it in any of the rounds, but particularly here).

    Only three acts are advancing at this stage, and there's no wildcard round anymore. The whole point of the judge's picks seems to be a "Just in case America gets it wrong." Well this is the finals - if America gets it "wrong", let them. It's one thing to have the judges and not the voters eliminate someone when the judges can then bring the loser of said pick back for the wildcard. But I would be incensed to learn I came in 3rd only to be eliminated because the judges got to pick someone America liked less than they did me.

    (Given the loser of the judge's pick in the quarterfinals almost always gets picked for the wild card show, I see no point to the judge's picks in those rounds either - just say that 5th place in the quarterfinals is an automatic berth to the wildcard and let the voters vote).
    You make great valid points, Tarrant. I think the judges pick is used for "dramatic effect" If they choose the 4th highest vote getter over the 3rd highest vote getter is just stupid. TBH, I think the judges know the results beforehand anyways.

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK
    I kind of find it unbelievable that Todd Oliver beat Andrew De Leon in the public vote. The judges sure did a good job screwing Andrew over. Not only put him first in a night with 12 acts, but then afterwards bash him.
    I think Andrew's goth look especially the contacts screwed him. Maybe if he wore the contacts or the goth clothing but not both. Look at who wins Idol~~pretty much cookie cutter everyday folks. If you are looking for diversity, these reality talent shows aren't the place to find them in the winner's position. Sad.

    Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock
    I'm not a fan of either comedian; however, Tom was the stronger of the two. He's going to have to work on his timing though if he wants to win.
    How can he work on his timing when he only has 90 seconds? Tom does remind me of Rita Rudner though in his delivery.

    I'm enjoying the observations here this season. Lots of different faves and many different opinions. Makes this season seem a lot more fun!
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

    Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

  5. #55
    Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Age
    22
    Posts
    7,834

    Re: America's Got Talent 7 Semifinal #1 (Aug 28-29) Discussion *SPOILERS*

    Something that somewhat annoyed me about Tom was how he was all like "I have a wife and kids and bills to pay" back in Vegas. He's not the only one, and from what I know he's better off than most people, having been in the business for so long. Just my thought. That argument doesn't work.

  6. #56
    FORT Fogey Babbred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow...
    Posts
    2,904

    Re: America's Got Talent 7 Semifinal #1 (Aug 28-29) Discussion *SPOILERS*

    Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post



    I think Andrew's goth look especially the contacts screwed him. Maybe if he wore the contacts or the goth clothing but not both. Look at who wins Idol~~pretty much cookie cutter everyday folks. If you are looking for diversity, these reality talent shows aren't the place to find them in the winner's position. Sad.
    Yes, it is, but I completely agree with you. Although he's a nice guy, I've never particularly liked him as an act because the whole goth/vampire thing just freaks me out. I don't like looking at it. If I remember correctly, the opera guy who won AGT presented himself as just a Joe Schmo who just happened to have an amazing operatic voice a la Susan Boyle, only with the gender reversed. If Andrew had presented himself like that, then I'm sure he would still be on the show. When Middle America watches a talent-based reality show (at least for singing), they want to see themselves reflected, not some element of the fringe culture.

    And that was a great observation about AI winners. Adam Lambert toned down his flamboyant image and refused to acknowledge being gay, but it still wasn't enough to compete with squeaky clean what's-his-name. Don't even get me started....


    I'm enjoying the observations here this season. Lots of different faves and many different opinions. Makes this season seem a lot more fun!

    So am I! Overall, I'm really enjoying this season and reading people's comments here. I'm glad I came back.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

    Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

  7. #57
    Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Age
    22
    Posts
    7,834

    Re: America's Got Talent 7 Semifinal #1 (Aug 28-29) Discussion *SPOILERS*

    I love his look and his voice. The combination is different, and unique. But if being "different" is seen as a problem, then that's unfortunate. No wonder we keep getting the same types of winners.
    Allie likes this.

  8. #58
    FORT Librarian HaikenEdge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    476

    Re: America's Got Talent 7 Semifinal #1 (Aug 28-29) Discussion *SPOILERS*

    I'm not a fan of wildcards, so the fact that none of the wildcard acts advanced makes me glad; to me, the wildcard brackets are pretty much saying, "The viewers didn't like you the first time around, so let's force feed you to the viewers, because they're going to suddenly like you now." Not to mention, when they bring somebody who didn't even make the show originally in onto the wildcards, they (A) devalue making the show, since somebody who wasn't good enough to make the show originally can get in anyways using the wildcard, and (B) make the person who got in using wildcards look weak in comparison to the people who got in previously, because they weren't good enough to get in legitimately in the first place.

    I'm all right with who advanced; don't really appreciate Castillo or Close, but Cotter amuses me, though, watching youtube of his performance, it appears he's reusing some material that he previously used on appearances on Leno and other shows.
    Revenge is ice cream.

  9. #59
    FORT Fogey Dragonlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    3,912

    Re: America's Got Talent 7 Semifinal #1 (Aug 28-29) Discussion *SPOILERS*

    I'm old and I wasn't put off by Andrew De Leon's look....not a favorite of mine but it was his voice that I disliked. He needs lots and lots of training and then he'll be ready for the big time...some of his notes were painful to hear but he has a future if he works at it.
    I'm glad Turf is gone...I think most women, in particular, do not care to watch those creepy movements of his body.
    I also don't think we can judge anyone due to his sob story. None of us know what the background is for most of these people because they don't choose to tell us or use that to garner votes.
    Some of the others may also have come from "nothing" and we shouldn't judge them for finally making it out of "nothing" and improving their lot in life.

    I judged many of the contestants on what I would want to see in Vegas. Some acts are wonderful but would I want to pay a lot of $$ and watch them for an hour and a half?

    Last month we went to Vegas and saw Terry Fator....he was fabulous, worth the price, and an hour and a half wasn't enough. I was also impressed with how much $$ he gives to charity. All proceeds from the souvenirs that buy (like puppets) are given to St. Jude's Hospital. He also donates a lot to Military Families.
    And he's adorable and extremely talented.
    JunkieGirl, HaikenEdge and JohnnyK like this.

  10. #60
    I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Where the Thunder Rolls
    Posts
    2,503

    Re: America's Got Talent 7 Semifinal #1 (Aug 28-29) Discussion *SPOILERS*

    Quote Originally Posted by Babbred
    Yes, it is, but I completely agree with you. Although he's a nice guy, I've never particularly liked him as an act because the whole goth/vampire thing just freaks me out. I don't like looking at it. If I remember correctly, the opera guy who won AGT presented himself as just a Joe Schmo who just happened to have an amazing operatic voice a la Susan Boyle, only with the gender reversed. If Andrew had presented himself like that, then I'm sure he would still be on the show. When Middle America watches a talent-based reality show (at least for singing), they want to see themselves reflected, not some element of the fringe culture.

    And that was a great observation about AI winners. Adam Lambert toned down his flamboyant image and refused to acknowledge being gay, but it still wasn't enough to compete with squeaky clean what's-his-name. Don't even get me started....
    I think he was going for "shock factor" and that may have been at the producers request. I don't have a problem with his look per se, but it was shocking to hear that voice come out of that body as was the case with Susan Boyle and even Jackie Evancho ITA with the bold, but I wasn't going to say it. LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK
    I love his look and his voice. The combination is different, and unique. But if being "different" is seen as a problem, then that's unfortunate. No wonder we keep getting the same types of winners.
    It is unfortunate that being different is a problem. I like different, and always learn something from them. It also keeps my judgement in check. This is why I prefer The Voice to AI. The people come from all different areas/races/backgrounds and the song choices are not always 40 years old. If only they would promote their winner and contestants as much as AI...

    Quote Originally Posted by HaikenEdge
    I'm not a fan of wildcards, so the fact that none of the wildcard acts advanced makes me glad; to me, the wildcard brackets are pretty much saying, "The viewers didn't like you the first time around, so let's force feed you to the viewers, because they're going to suddenly like you now." Not to mention, when they bring somebody who didn't even make the show originally in onto the wildcards, they (A) devalue making the show, since somebody who wasn't good enough to make the show originally can get in anyways using the wildcard, and (B) make the person who got in using wildcards look weak in comparison to the people who got in previously, because they weren't good enough to get in legitimately in the first place.
    I agree with you, and I think the wild card and You Tube episodes are pointless. The only upside I see is that at least America gets to see them one more time. The more national exposure you get can only help you get gigs that let the contestants keep doing what they love.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

    Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.