+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent 7 Semifinal #1 (Aug 28-29) Discussion *SPOILERS*

Re: America's Got Talent 7 Semifinal #1 (Aug 28-29) Discussion *SPOILERS*

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post

Turf may have his sob story but I don't think he will make it past tonight. It would definitely be a travesty if he makes it over the others he competed against last night. I like the kid, hope he gets a gig but I don't think he is as popular as you and Johnny think. If anything, I'm worried about that Edon kid. The screams in that auditorium and the fact that he sang a One Direction song may have the tweenagers voting like mad. I hope not.
    Unfortunately - the reason I felt Turf was popular was because Howie and to an extent Howard were always talking about him. In this day and age, people tend to remember things that are repeated to them over and over again - and in the case of Turf his name was mentioned EVERY week of the quarters and then probably in YouTube and wildcard.

Fortunately - people agreed with Johnny and I and didn't put him through to the finals. Like you said, nice kid, but I felt it would be a travesty if the two Howies ended up hypnotizing the audience into voting for Turf to advance.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

The Scott Brothers were amazing. I want them to release a DVD and I'd buy it.

I think in the case of the Scott Bros., Andrew and Rebecca and Donovan, they'll have success post show if they work hard at it. Rebecca and Donovan I think were thankful to make it as far as they did (I wish I knew how far they made it on the British version) and loved the America Exposure too. I think they could also do well in a Cirque act - there are some shows, such as 'Viva Elvis' that use aerial work that could use the advance.

Andrew I think I agree with what I've heard from friends - he'd needs a bit of fine tuning/training and maybe not too much of the goth shock makeup and who knows where he could end up. He's got a gift just like Jackie and with the right training he could be just as much of a sensation. His "AGT" experience got him exposure he needed - I could see some schools offer him a music scholarship.

But the Scott Brothers.

I mean, I'll be looking forward to what they do next. Will be keeping track in the future. But, the Scott Brothers. *sigh*

Anyway,

Rebecca and Donovan also made the semifinals in BGT before being eliminated. But there, the semifinals are the first live show round. There are no quarterfinals there. It's eight semifinalists in a number of groups. Only two advance to the finals. They didn't make it.

I think I read that they were also on a third Got Talent somewhere in the world. I think either France or Germany. I don't know how they did there but I know they didn't win.

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe View Post
    Why only top 3? And how did the Olympics necessitated a format change? Nick did not even explain the sudden change. Not fair for the 4 acts who didn't make the finals. So instead of 2 hours they will only do a 1 hour finale? Is that why we only have 6 finalists? This is difficult, with only 3 going to the finals which so much talent around. Didn't Howie said that this is the year of the dance? Although I was very much entertained by the pop and locking Scott Brothers and I enjoyed the props that the Academy of Villains used in the 2nd half of their routine, I don't think any of the dance acts will make it to the finals...and yes that includes Turf. Neither any of the singers will move on as there are really better talent out there.

The 3 that are moving on:

William Close (it will be travesty if he doesnt move on)
    Tom Cotter (have i seen him before in Last Comic Standing?)
    Joe Castillo (although I'm not sure who will be 3rd)

Maybe the judges will give us a surprise and vote in a couple of more acts as a twist.
    Wow! I did so well in picking who was moving on and in the right order too! I should get a star and a smiley face! LOL! Did a lot better than the wildcard round where I thought Spencer the escape artist and Blaque the archer would move on. I'm just glad that Howie and Sharon outvoted Howard Stern for the 3rd spot.

Anyway, how can Rebecca and Donovan get into 3 Got Talent shows in the world? I would understand 2 (one is British the other American), --- but 3?

I hope next season they just mix the Youtube acts in the Vegas round. Really not fair for those acts who went through the regular round that Youtube acts go straight to the quarterfinals and as we have witnessed the quality of those acts were not up to par with the rest. In fact, they should have done away with it because that extra week caused a format change of only 6 acts instead of 10 making it to the finals.
    Last edited by jammyjoe; 08-30-2012 at 03:15 AM.

The Scott Brothers' robbage tonight was the biggest since Dave Burleigh in the Vegas round. They should have had two wildcards and brought him back.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by abrahammy View Post
    My full recap of tonight's show is up, but here's my ranking and impression of each act, in short:

1. William Close and the Earth Harp - Breathtaking, original art. I loved the new instruments.
    2. Joe Castillo - I could watch the pictures in the sand all day. Trying to figure out what he's making is always part of the fun. It's like he unravels a mystery for us.
    3. Tom Cotter - Consistently polished and funny all the time.
    4.The Academy of Villains - fun to watch, good synchronization.
    5. Donovan and Rebecca - They really are very strong. I think they've shown us all they have, though.
    6.Scott Brothers - They are great, but they've peaked.
    7.Todd Oliver - I thought he was funny until I saw Cotter and realized the difference.
    8. Dittleman - Both tricks were a little transparent.
    9.Bria Kelly - Would do better on American Idol.
    10. Edon - The first verse was too low for him.
    11. Andrew DeLeon - News flash: you must have training to sing opera well. Parts of this were dreadful.
    12. Turf - I am more grossed out by him than entertained.
    Dittlemans first trick was but the second? Do you know how he did that?

FORT Fogey

We are having a top 6 right? Next week 3 more advance to the finals. Then what? Do we watch them all perform again? This season is confusing.

Tom Cotter was on Last Comic Standing and I have seen him on Leno or another night show. He is very good and I would like to see him win. He is better than many comics who are more well known. He tours and is known by many who follow comics but he needs a big break. I much prefer him to the harp.

The sand painter is just not a million dollar act. I couldnt watch that for long and I would tire of the maudlin messages. Sharon does have a point in that he could be the background for a music act of some kind. I am not sure any singer or band would like their thunder diminished by his talent, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    The sand painter is just not a million dollar act. I couldnt watch that for long and I would tire of the maudlin messages. Sharon does have a point in that he could be the background for a music act of some kind. I am not sure any singer or band would like their thunder diminished by his talent, however.
    A sandpainter has won in another "Got Talent" contest - but unlike here they get I think three minutes if not more to present their talent, particularly in the finals. What she did was phenominal and makes me think that if Joe has that same time we'd see the same thing.

And sadly - message songs are the best choice when you have to present a 90 second piece. That way you can clearly show your talent without worries of being too creative to be confusing.

There are singers and bands and orchestras who would LOVE to have this additional performer in their group - even if it'd be more on an "uppity-up" level because people aren't quite willing to part with money to just listen to music now. They would if they had something else to add to the mix. Example - they did a concert of "Doctor Who" music - lovely music on its own, but add video of scenes from the show that reflect the music (not just where it was used BTW), having actual villains walk around and stalk the audience (who mostly laughed because it was cool), and the Doctor make an appearance in a sketch - it was a show that was sold out.

For me it's hard to see who will win - but hopefully we won't have Tim make the finals either or any singer and we'll have a non singing act win.
    Shoepie likes this.

FORT Regular

While I think that the three acts that advanced were the most deserving, I dislike the fact that the judge's pick was used in this round. (To be honest I'm not a fan of it in any of the rounds, but particularly here).

Only three acts are advancing at this stage, and there's no wildcard round anymore. The whole point of the judge's picks seems to be a "Just in case America gets it wrong." Well this is the finals - if America gets it "wrong", let them. It's one thing to have the judges and not the voters eliminate someone when the judges can then bring the loser of said pick back for the wildcard. But I would be incensed to learn I came in 3rd only to be eliminated because the judges got to pick someone America liked less than they did me.

(Given the loser of the judge's pick in the quarterfinals almost always gets picked for the wild card show, I see no point to the judge's picks in those rounds either - just say that 5th place in the quarterfinals is an automatic berth to the wildcard and let the voters vote).
    JunkieGirl and sunshine3331 like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast