+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: AGT Commercial Running During Olympics

AGT Commercial Running During Olympics

Ok, maybe this is really petty of me, but the AGT commercial really irritates me. If you recall, it starts out with Turf crying and Howie in a voiceover saying "Your life will never be the same after this." Then they show several other acts in a montage, but the judge's comments are general, and not specific to any contestant. Am I being paranoid, or this more "Turf pimping"?

Look, I'm really, really sorry that you were homeless. That doesn't mean I want you to win, though!
    Shoepie likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Re: AGT Commercial Running During Olympics

Yes, Turf pimping it is.

Turf and Howie can go take a hike. We don't need either of them.
    karalott and Babbred like this.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Nope, I don't think you are being paranoid, Babbred. It is definitely pimping. I don't mind the kid, I don't enjoy what he does and I don't want him anywhere near the Top4. I do hope that he is able to get something going for himself and make some money. I think you said Iluminate was at 6 Flags? Maybe he can get a similar gig, smaller fairs and such.
    JohnnyK likes this.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

I wonder what Turf thinks of all this horrendous pimping he's getting. He might be enjoying every minute of it.

What he does shouldn't even be called "dance", should it? Who in the world would want to watch him over someone much better like the Scott Brothers?

God, at this point I want Tim Hockenberry to win.
    Babbred likes this.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    I wonder what Turf thinks of all this horrendous pimping he's getting. He might be enjoying every minute of it.

What he does shouldn't even be called "dance", should it? Who in the world would want to watch him over someone much better like the Scott Brothers?

God, at this point I want Tim Hockenberry to win.
    He must be enjoying it. Wasn't he making some money in Vegas while other auditions were going on?

JohnnyK stop talking nonsense. I like Tim, but don't want him to win. This show needs something different.
    Shoepie likes this.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

I'm just saying that because I see him and Turf as the two frontrunners. In all honesty, of course I don't want him to win. But those that I do want to see win, simply won't.

FORT Fogey

Turf is never going to get enough votes to stay much longer. He just stands there and does contortions which I find alarming to watch.

I would like to see the dog act ramp it up and win. So far they don't do anything I haven't see before but I enjoy watching them more than anyone else.

I would love to see this show eliminate singers. We have enough singing competitions as it is. AND I am bored with those too!
    Babbred likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post
    Nope, I don't think you are being paranoid, Babbred. It is definitely pimping. I don't mind the kid, I don't enjoy what he does and I don't want him anywhere near the Top4. I do hope that he is able to get something going for himself and make some money. I think you said Iluminate was at 6 Flags? Maybe he can get a similar gig, smaller fairs and such.
    So glad to know I'm not alone!

I live here in Dallas, so they've been running commercials for Six Flags since the summer began. They always make it a point to mention Iluminate (?) as a big draw, so I was just curious since I had heard that they started on this show. Someday I will get around to seeing them, I promise.

I agree with both of you, Shoepie and JohnnyK. Doing a contortion act is not "dancing" by any stretch of the imagination. I know some people love this kind of stuff, but I can't stand it. I personally think it looks gross. I would rather watch the clogging guys over him--especially if they appeared in black leather.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Most of America probably thinks it's gross too but they, like always, vote for the person and the story, and not the act, if you get what I'm saying.

It's funny, because I've actually seen a contortion act that I thought was just incredible. Several years ago when we lived in Britain, the Chinese circus came to town so hubby and I went. They had this girl who did contortion stuff, but she did it in a very slow and graceful manner, and it was set to to some lovely music , so it was almost more like ballet or gymnastics than contortion stuff.

While she did her twisting, an assistant placed lighted candles on various places on her body. So for instance, at one point she was lying on her stomach, with her legs folded back over her head. The assistant put candles on her outstretched hands and feet. It was one of the best theatrical acts I have ever seen, and I would gladly pay to see her and the rest of the circus again.

Turf and the other "popping" acts cannot in any, way, shape or form compete with that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast