+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent July 17 Quarterfinals *Spoilers*

America's Got Talent July 17 Quarterfinals *Spoilers*

Discussion for this week's show. Surprised there isn't a thread for this week yet, but if there is I apologize.

Wow - what an overall disappointing week. There are honestly IMHO 5 acts that even qualify I feel for a semifinal spot, and then maybe seven with the other two going into wildcard.

The lightwire group - they were stunning and deserving of advancing. I felt they did a much better job than the lightpainters, and hopefully should Aurora Light Painters get a wildcard shot they were taking notes tonight.

The other three - the bikers (even if busy they were entertaining), the breakdancer (though I didn't like the comparison to Turf - seriously judges - if you want Turf to potentially win QUIT PRIMPING HIM IN EVERY SHOW), and the comedian IMHO. The other one is the young dance group.

The two filling the wildcard spots for me but are also a challenge for the four spots were All Beef Patty (who was pretty much on key and did have an act) and the glee group (who were not on par, but better than the five other acts)

On a harsher set of notes:

The Juggler BLEW IT. That performance left me going "What the heck" - as most of you know I juggler, but heck, I could've made that music sing a lot better with my juggling. The one thing I'll give him a prop on is the use of knives and fire. (Sadly both I'd probably have to use in order to curry favor with the judges if I were ever on this show).

The escape artist BLEW IT - he did the magic trick curtain. The MOMENT he did that - it went from being a true escape show like Houdini to making people question if he was even doing it on his own.

The male singer who also played piano was flat.

The band was just bad.

I felt for the guy who stacked up the pipes to stand on. Looked like he had a potential for upping his game, but the moment he fell it was over. This was another act I questioned advancing to being with; however I'm glad however he is OK.

On the plus - the judge's critiques - save my above opinion regarding the break dancer - were actually warranted.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Re: America's Got Talent July 17 Quarterfinals *Spoilers*

Lightwire Theater, I think, are the only definite advancements right now. They could go far but they'll probably finish third at best, just like Team iLuminate and all other best acts.

I like Jacob but I didn't like his vomit jokes.

I'm shocked at Spencer the escape artist. I thought he'd definitely make it. Now there is question.

Drag queen isn't advancing.

My guesses are:

Lightwire Theater
    Wordspit and the Illest
    maybe Jacob
    then maybe a tossup between Untouchables, Elusive, and even Spencer.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

I agree that it was disappointing. The only entertaining acts were the first group and the last. Those little dancers are pretty good and of course the Lightwire Theater people have a great act.

I felt sorry for those who blew it. IMO that is why this show is not a great format for acts like the juggler, the Houdini wannabe or other dangerous acts. Trying to do your thing within the time constraints of a live show is a disaster just waiting to happen.

All Beef Patty is like Big Barry to me. Not necessary and took a spot from a better act.

Those rappers who did their own song? Ugh.

The comedian? Not funny at all. I don't remember him or his previous audition. Obviously made a big impression here. lol

Don't know how America will vote, but the only one I'd vote for would be Lightwire Theater and Untouchables.

I'm already looking forward to next week. Can't wait to see the Earth Harp guy!
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Jacob's audition was his best imo. It's on Youtube.

(though I didn't like the comparison to Turf - seriously judges - if you want Turf to potentially win QUIT PRIMPING HIM IN EVERY SHOW)
    Let me guess. From Howie?

I'd rather watch any other solo dancer over Turf. Damn.
    Last edited by JohnnyK; 07-18-2012 at 02:21 AM.

This was a really erratic night. Full recap here.

Untouchables: They were so crisp, so precise, so professional, I forgot they were children.

Rock Star Juggler Mike Price: Is not as good as he thinks he is. He isn't skillful enough to perform his tricks.

Inspire the Fire: Would win a municipal talent competition for at-risk youth, and that's about it. Cheesy Glee imitation.

Cristin Sandu - the less said about this disaster, the better.

Elusive - I don't think he's going to get to that showdown with Turf, and that's too bad, because I like him very much better.

Jake Wesley Rogers - Has terrible taste in music.

All Wheel Sports - That was quite frenetic and exciting. It's hard to see it all.

Wordspit and the Illest - An ugly, tuneless mess. I wonder if the sound mixing is at fault, because I thought it was horrifying noise and Howard praised their musicianship.

Jacob Williams - Charming and funny in a green, unready kind of way.

All Beef Patty - despite all the boy dancers gyrating wildly, this was the dullest drag show I've ever seen.

Spencer Horsman - It's hard to be impressed with an escape you can't see.

Lightwire Theater - Stunning, spectacular puppet show that was actually fun to watch. They are moving on for sure.
    Check out my recaps of Dr. Who and other TV shows at http://recappersdelight.blogspot.com/

Or the producers tried to screw him over by forcing him that song. It's happened before.

Quote Originally Posted by abrahammy View Post
    This was a really erratic night. Full recap here.

Untouchables: They were so crisp, so precise, so professional, I forgot they were children.
    Which was exactly why I didn't like it. Yes, they are incredibly talented. However, I do not like seeing children (and yes, I include the boys) parading around in next to no clothing on national TV. If I had a child, I wouldn't let them go into ballroom dancing until they were much older.

Rock Star Juggler Mike Price: Is not as good as he thinks he is. He isn't skillful enough to perform his tricks.
    Good way to put it. The premise was intriguing, but it just fell flat. And was that real gasoline that he dumped on his partner?

Inspire the Fire: Would win a municipal talent competition for at-risk youth, and that's about it. Cheesy Glee imitation.
    That's exactly what I was going to say!

Cristin Sandu - the less said about this disaster, the better.
    I felt sorry for the guy. Obviously, it's taken many years of practice to get to that level. However, the laws of physics would preclude him from adding too many rollers, so there's built-in limit to his act. Unless he were able to add something like juggle while he was balancing.

Elusive - I don't think he's going to get to that showdown with Turf, and that's too bad, because I like him very much better.
    Amen. I hope the judge's pimping backfires on them, because Turf is my least favorite act.

Was that piano guy? The wannabee Buddy Holly? Yuk.

All Wheel Sports - That was quite frenetic and exciting. It's hard to see it all.
    I'll take Howie's word that you have to see it in person. They are very talented, but he was right. On TV, it looked too busy and the multiple acts were distracting. Since they are so talented, though, I'll say that they deserve to go through.

Wordspit and the Illest - An ugly, tuneless mess. I wonder if the sound mixing is at fault, because I thought it was horrifying noise and Howard praised their musicianship.
    Worst act of the night for me.

Jacob Williams - Charming and funny in a green, unready kind of way.
    Has potential in a Rodney Dangerfield-type of way. I liked some of his jokes (the part about being single in a restaurant was spot on), but others fell flat for me.

All Beef Patty - despite all the boy dancers gyrating wildly, this was the dullest drag show I've ever seen.
    Thank you! I kept wondering how to put my feelings into words, and that's it. I also like how you compared him to Big Barry, Junkie. Great observation.

Spencer Horsman - It's hard to be impressed with an escape you can't see.
    I was really disappointed in him, because I liked his other escapes.

Lightwire Theater - Stunning, spectacular puppet show that was actually fun to watch. They are moving on for sure.
    It was very lovely, but I didn't get the story. Was this supposed to be a baby bird learning to dance?

One of the past lighting groups, iLuminate (?), now does their act at Six Flags here in Dallas. Were they very good? If so, then I'll make a point to see them next time I go to SF.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post
    I felt sorry for those who blew it. IMO that is why this show is not a great format for acts like the juggler, the Houdini wannabe or other dangerous acts. Trying to do your thing within the time constraints of a live show is a disaster just waiting to happen.
    To be fair, there are jugglers like me who are used to doing quick 90-second shows at a moment's notice and can do them successfully.

I think the problem with jugglers and escape artists is the judges demand things that are practically IMPOSSIBLE for us to work around, such as more clubs, fire, knives when we only have a week and - it's been noted - can take about five months to learn to add a new item. The last time I added an item - 3 to 4 - it took me a full month. The fastest trick was on my stomach to kneeling (two weeks to do seamlessly).

I'm already looking forward to next week. Can't wait to see the Earth Harp guy!
    I think they put the strongest shows for last - because this also has the dog show and as mentioned earth harp guy.

If I were to choose - I'd say these two, the light show, Rebecca and Donovan and the guy with the CMYK dancers should be in our finals. If we can get at least 80-90 percent of the acts non-singers in the finals, we may finally get a non-singer winner again.

The ONLY singer I'd like to see go to the finals is the young boy who can do the mariachi (sp) singer. HE'S good and isn't playing up to a sob story (at least yet). His talent is what's getting him far, and that I like. (I don't mind sob stories - but I do when they get a subpar performer ahead. I say this because Poppycock was similar, but he has chops that can eat a 72-ounce steak dinner in a second... OK, odd reference but you get my point.)
    Last edited by jadewarlock; 07-18-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    Jacob's audition was his best imo. It's on Youtube.
    Let me guess. From Howie?
    I'd rather watch any other solo dancer over Turf. Damn.
    Hey, no prizes for guessing an even money person.

I'm like "Look - Turf is homeless or having trouble with money. We get that, but to try and make him the WINNER (even if it's to just avoid another singer winning), over MUCH STRONGER and entertaining acts... gets really annoying."

I never thought that I'd say Carrie Ann Inaba or Mary on "SYTYCD" are LESS annoying that Howie. (IMHO, Inaba's blatant favoritism isn't nearly as bad, and THAT's scary).

FORT Newbie

I think the Lightwire act will go on but for me I was not impressed. It was very hard to watch on tv. The lights were faint and I didn't pick up on the story, maybe it's more impressive in person. I wonder if others felt this way and if it could hurt getting votes.

I think the top three will be the dance team, Lightwire and the comedian. I think the judges will have to pick between Spencer and Elusive. I think Elusive will go on (Howie and Sharon will vote for him and Howard will vote for Spencer) and Spencer will get a wildcard entry.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast