+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent July 17 Quarterfinals *Spoilers*

Re: America's Got Talent July 17 Quarterfinals *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    So I got to see the infamous dog act of BGT. They had won just before hubby and I washed up in England, and the media over there was buzzing about it. Seems the Brits were not too happy that a simple dog act won over far more talented ones. I'm trying to think of the equivalent act here. Maybe Turf?
    Can't help on the wildcards - I'm sure a lot of it has to do with placing and ones the producers hopefully know won't make us livid. Usually the sixth place act eliminated before judge's choice gets in but not often.

I personally liked the dog act it was cute, though I do think they could improve some (It's nothing like the dog show we've seen here this year).

IMHO the British version was suffering from what we are dealing with: Too many singers.

An equivalent to the dog show - probably Turf because there had to be enough buzz on the performer and maybe a sob story, but not as much talent or creativity (so far in her case) that it becomes stale.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock
    I have juggled in front of live audiences - and had to carry on a speaking gig with it - to a crowd of at most 2,100 people a night for a show. Stressors here were speaking and moving around while juggling and having to project my voice as I didn't have much of a mike.
    WOW! 2100 people? I think that Howard mentioned last night the studio audience was around 3000. You must be quite good and have some interesting gigs. How exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock
    The only way I could see Howie do either is if he had someone throw some sort of germ-infused sweat soaked shirt at him, even though his germophobia is fading gradually.
    HAHA! OK, I don't want to laugh at Howie's issue, but that visual is pretty funny!
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post
    WOW! 2100 people? I think that Howard mentioned last night the studio audience was around 3000. You must be quite good and have some interesting gigs. How exciting.
    That number varied - but it was between 1,200 and 2,100 depending on the day of the week. That said, any group larger than say 20 or so is definitely difficult for a performer. I've been juggling for 25 years this September, and yes even now I still have drops. (another peeve of mine with these judges - they think jugglers are supposed to NEVER drop something).

HAHA! OK, I don't want to laugh at Howie's issue, but that visual is pretty funny!
    He nearly had one like that last year with the unicyclist who ended up using Howie's head for balance at one point. Still think that one was intentionally brought through to the judging round for that reason. (By the way - from what we see I've deduced they probably do a couple of pre-rounds before they have acts go to the three star judges to weed out potentially too risque or potentially FCC violation acts (or really truly horrible bad acts) out of the running. Though - after the "air sex" guy... I don't know anymore).

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

The Air Sex Guy was complete legend. If he's not back for this year's Audition All Stars to perform one last time then there shouldn't even be one.

Speaking of Britain's Got Talent, I like that their winners really do vary in act type. Here, 5/6 times we've had singers win. There, we've had an opera singer, a solo dancer, a dance group, a gymnastic group, one other singer, and now the dog act win.
    Baby's Breath likes this.

They always bring the 5th place act back for the wild card round and a couple that didn't make it to the quarterfinals. I think they will bring back that gothic male castrati. Are they bringing back 4 wildcards into the semis?

Lightwire and The Untouchables I knew were going through. But I wasn't so sure who will be the other two. The comedian was given too many praises but he wasn't all that, I thought he would move on after he was presented against he juggler and the balance artist. It is definitely more difficult for circus acts to prepare for only a week. They are disadvantaged compared to the easiest act which are the singers. As for the 4th act to go through, I thought the solo dancer was going through but it was the bike act vs. the band. Too bad the escape artist fumbled. He had 13 seconds to spare when he escaped but he mentioned that something short-circuited so he had to abort and did plan B instead. Otherwise, he would have waited the last couple of seconds for his escape. If not for the electrical malfunction, I think he could have had a better show. His fault was that he made it into a magic act because we couldn't see how he was escaping but I'm speculating that he was getting into that part (show how he was escaping for the last 10 seconds ) until that technical mishap.
    Last edited by jammyjoe; 07-20-2012 at 03:22 AM.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Not always. Last season, yes, season before, no. There are 12 wildcards coming back and 4 are going through to the semis. The Wildcard Round will have the same format as any other quarterfinal.

FORT Regular

Regarding the escape artist, and really any of the magicians this and other seasons - when a big screen or curtain is used, the "punch line" has to be not just more grand, but an order of magnitude moreso, to make up for the fact that the trick itself is being obscured. I feel bad for Spencer but he was behind a screen. He could have taken out any sort of implements, I don't know. And the longer the screen is there the less impressed I'll be regardless of the result.

I went to a magic show once where the magicians in a dark room called on someone in the crowd - happened to be someone in our group - to smash a vase. It broke into dozens of pieces. Then a screen went up blocking the view of the pieces . A second or two later a light came on showing the silhouettes of the pieces. The magician chanted a bit, they started swirling in the air, then got "sucked into te table" like a drain, from which a new vase emerged. Screen goes away, presto, non-broken vase. But with the screen there, my first assumption was then when the room was dark at the start, the original pieces were removed, and the moving silhouettes we saw were simply small bits in front of the light programmed to move like shadow puppets. Maybe not. I don't know. But the screen meant that it wa too much a cheat.

In the Vegas round one of the acts put up a screen for a moment and it went down and holy cow there was a helicopter. That's a good use of a screen as part of the wonder becomes how to do all that in a short time.

If you're going to use a curtain or screen or the like in an act it either needs to become part of the act or be there for almost no time, or people will not care.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123