+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent July 17 Quarterfinals *Spoilers*

Re: America's Got Talent July 17 Quarterfinals *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    It was very lovely, but I didn't get the story. Was this supposed to be a baby bird learning to dance?

One of the past lighting groups, iLuminate (?), now does their act at Six Flags here in Dallas. Were they very good? If so, then I'll make a point to see them next time I go to SF.
    Yes, iLuminate is good - it and the wire group have some similarities, but the iLuminate group has more animation done by computers. They are worth seeing (or if it's an upcharge at the park, worth the money IMHO).

I think the dance was supposed to be a duckling sees a bunch of magical butterflies that create these mystical birds. Baby duck is scared initially but through the butterflies and the other characters learns to laugh and dance with them as they're all there to have fun.

(Or this is the way I translate it. )

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

I think the rap band will be advancing.

I watched All Wheel Sports' performance. I just assumed they wouldn't advance because stunt bike groups never really do, as proven again earlier this season. I'm still not thinking their chances are high, but I liked the show and thought the song choice was great.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

This results show stuff is ridiculous! It's like they aren't even trying to be suspenseful while revealing the loooong drawn out results. LOL Or maybe my guessing skills are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock
    I think the problem with jugglers and escape artists is the judges demand things that are practically IMPOSSIBLE for us to work around, such as more clubs, fire, knives when we only have a week...
    True. The judges and audience always want more, more, more. I would guess that most of these acts have a few routines that increase in difficulty and aren't learning brand new routines in less than a week, right? Because if that were true, it's setting themselves up for disaster.

I'm curious about the audience size that you would perform in front of? I think that adds to the pressure plus all kinds of stuff going on backstage, people running around. Is it possible they are doing press stuff as well? IDK, just musing here.

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred
    One of the past lighting groups, iLuminate (?), now does their act at Six Flags here in Dallas. Were they very good? If so, then I'll make a point to see them next time I go to SF.
    If I had the opportunity to go, I would. They were good and might have gotten even better than they were last year. I don't think I could watch something like that for an hour though. Depending on what they were doing 20 minutes might be my max, as I have the attention span of a gnat. LOL Report back and give us your opinion if you do go, OK? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock
    I never thought that I'd say Carrie Ann Inaba or Mary on "SYTYCD" are LESS annoying that Howie. (IMHO, Inaba's blatant favoritism isn't nearly as bad, and THAT's scary).
    THAT is scary! None of the 3 people you mention are any less biased than the other two. At least Howie doesn't shriek like Mary or dance on tables like CA.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post
    This results show stuff is ridiculous! It's like they aren't even trying to be suspenseful while revealing the loooong drawn out results. LOL Or maybe my guessing skills are awesome.
    No, but past couple of weeks it's been pretty obvious who SHOULD go. Next week will be harder because there are a lot of good acts. I would say that if all of them live up to their normal performances, most of our wild cards will also come from next week's group.

True. The judges and audience always want more, more, more. I would guess that most of these acts have a few routines that increase in difficulty and aren't learning brand new routines in less than a week, right? Because if that were true, it's setting themselves up for disaster.

I'm curious about the audience size that you would perform in front of? I think that adds to the pressure plus all kinds of stuff going on backstage, people running around. Is it possible they are doing press stuff as well? IDK, just musing here.
    I have juggled in front of live audiences - and had to carry on a speaking gig with it - to a crowd of at most 2,100 people a night for a show. Stressors here were speaking and moving around while juggling and having to project my voice as I didn't have much of a mike. And I've learned routines in less than a week, but if I were on this show, most of my routines already made would be used and have a new trick or two added in. Example, at least two of my routines could incorporate the lighted clubs that this fellow had. THOSE were cool, and I feel that he had his best performance in the Las Vegas show.

My stressor would be trying to have the 90 second story - I can do that with several, but not many. Not impossible but it is tough.

The press stuff - probably not during the actual show. The reason I say that is it is live and with a broadcast schedule as tight as most of these are, they don't have much time to do the interviews. That's why sometimes Nick gets music overed during interviews. (Which BTW - I hate because Nick is someone I would want to be by my side given some of the judge's current quirps).

THAT is scary! None of the 3 people you mention are any less biased than the other two. At least Howie doesn't shriek like Mary or dance on tables like CA.
    The only way I could see Howie do either is if he had someone throw some sort of germ-infused sweat soaked shirt at him, even though his germophobia is fading gradually.

The results were okay.

Pretty shocked that All Wheel Sports advanced over Wordspit, but pleasantly so.
    jadewarlock and Babbred like this.

As far as the groups advancing - I wasn't suprised and had them nailed. That said, I can see the judges giving the break-dancer and the singer (:-/) passes to the wildcard.

If the singer gets a shot - I hope he doesn't try to sing another fast song in a drawl. "Toxic" is NOT a song you can sing in a slower rhythm.

Yes, speaking of the Wildcard, I think Spencer and Wordspit may be coming back. The rest may be gone for good. I don't think Jake is coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    Yes, speaking of the Wildcard, I think Spencer and Wordspit may be coming back. The rest may be gone for good. I don't think Jake is coming back.
    I'm basing that more on what the judges said when that trio came out.

Wordspit I wouldn't mind if they heed Sharon's advice and not - at least right now - do their own song and instead do a cover. That young band last year in the finals heeded her advice and made it there.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    No, but past couple of weeks it's been pretty obvious who SHOULD go. Next week will be harder because there are a lot of good acts. I would say that if all of them live up to their normal performances, most of our wild cards will also come from next week's group.
    Yep. I was bored last night, too, because each time Nick had a bunch of contestants come up, the person going through was blindingly obvious. The only real shock would have been if some of those winners did NOT go through.

I also wasn't particularly surprised by Wordspit. Howie and Sharon made their opposition pretty clear on performance night, so again, the only shock would have been if they suddenly changed their minds. I'm glad they didn't.

I have juggled in front of live audiences - and had to carry on a speaking gig with it - to a crowd of at most 2,100 people a night for a show. Stressors here were speaking and moving around while juggling and having to project my voice as I didn't have much of a mike. And I've learned routines in less than a week, but if I were on this show, most of my routines already made would be used and have a new trick or two added in. Example, at least two of my routines could incorporate the lighted clubs that this fellow had. THOSE were cool, and I feel that he had his best performance in the Las Vegas show.

My stressor would be trying to have the 90 second story - I can do that with several, but not many. Not impossible but it is tough.
    I feel sorry for the physical acts. I mean, if you got to do a long-running show somewhere, wouldn't you do the same act every night? If it's drawing a crowd, why change a winning formula? And if you wanted to change things up and add something new, you would have plenty of time to rehearse it. And yet on this show they're asked to come up with and learn new things in just a week.

The only way I could see Howie do either is if he had someone throw some sort of germ-infused sweat soaked shirt at him, even though his germophobia is fading gradually.
    I sympathize with Howie. I'm a germaphobe, too. I'm not quite as bad as Monk (remember him?), but I do think that hand sanitizer was one of the great inventions of the 20th century.

How do the wildcards work? How many are the judges allowed to give out?

Remember on performance night, Howie was telling some singing act, "I don't think a singer will win this year..." I wonder if in the back of his head he was thinking, "Please, please let that be true."

So I got to see the infamous dog act of BGT. They had won just before hubby and I washed up in England, and the media over there was buzzing about it. Seems the Brits were not too happy that a simple dog act won over far more talented ones. I'm trying to think of the equivalent act here. Maybe Turf?
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast