+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent 7 Auditions 6/04 *SPOILERS*

Re: America's Got Talent 7 Auditions 6/04 *SPOILERS*

Quote Originally Posted by Oceansands View Post
    The producers of AGT love sob stories. One would think they would check some of these stories before showing the act. I've read they have people traveling around the US looking for freak shows long before the show starts. I'm sure some of the acts auditioned but many are selected by the producers before auditions. I've watched the show since the beginning and the real talent is getting less and less. Seems to me the show is more about the judges and Nick more than the talent. Last year the winner was a mediocre singer at best but he had a better sob story (don't remember his name). Something about wanting to buy a house for his poor grandmother, as his tears flowed. I enjoy real talent where it be singing, dancing, comedian, art, etc. However, wasting time with the judges, Nick, non talent and freaks is starting to get real old. I'll give it one more show and I'm finished.
    Now, I personally don't mind Nick - I think he DOES do some of his stuff to show the producers "enough" (especially when I detected a slight surprise/doubt in his voice when Tim spoke perfectly after the audition).

I'm not surprised about "Freak show" auditions from everywhere - Even in more more "weird" cities in Texas (Austin and Houston), we normally DO NOT SEE people like those piercing oddities tonight. (And - given I've been to San Marcos to the two outlet malls, which are INTERNATIONAL destinations (No kidding), I can vouch that they were more likely color to the show - I have NEVER seen Goths or people who pull that type of stunt there).

I would NOT be surprised though here in regard to adding "flavor" acts - You will most likely have singers attend the Austin audition.

Why? - you have Austin City Limits film there, Sixth Street, then San Marcos, New Braunfels, Gruene, and San Antonio - ALL having several to many venues for new and young singing talent to peform there. And since the show is NOT "America's Got Singers" (yet) you have to add variety.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

I like the freakshow type acts. However, I think there have been more this season than any other. I can already remember four in my head. Three of them rejects. Same goes with the danger acts.

Re the freak show types: I just tolerate them mostly because they need to use these acts to offer variety to viewers...or so they think they do. I could do without them just fine but that's why I record most shows....that way I can use the FF button.
    Jadewarlock, you're right about what doesn't cause stuttering....having a BA in Speech Path, his reasons and his patterns leave me very suspect. He's not consistent with the sounds/letters that cause him to stutter.

As for Nick, I didn't care for him in the beginning, but I've learned to really like the guy. He's funny, upbeat and perfect for the job he's doing. I also like how he dresses well....maybe not my taste but he looks good and lends a different attitude to his job.
    And I have to say that even though Howard Stern is not one of my favorite people...actually way down the list, I have to admire someone who has that much self confidence because he is one homely man. I notice this particularly when he gets up on stage and in addition to his face, he has this tall, gangly body.
    I realize that's rather unkind but his self assurance is remarkable because it couldn't have been easy to look like him when he was young and un-famous.

Someone once said if you are sure of yourself on the inside you're going to be quite popular on the outside to people because charisma is a huge factor in a person.

Stern has that in spades.

I'm not fond of his shows outside of "AGT" - I find his shows a bit vile and crass.

That said, on "AGT" I have been impressed with his overall respect and class for the acts. And on the rare instance he's done a bit more risque, it's been more of a double entendre or leaving it to people's imaginations. By no means perfect, but I've yet to see something that has had to be bleeped out in order to keep in safe with FCC rules, which was something I feared when he was announced.

AGTNews has created their own Top 5 auditions list (with the two singers on top, of course, and also saying if it weren't for the controversy Tim Poe would be on top).
    But here's my favs from each episode, rather than a top 5.

Light Wire Theater
    David Garibaldi or Dave Burleigh
    Olate Dogs
    Tom Cotter or Crazeehorse
    All That!
    Svet or Cut Throat Freak Show
    Bandbaz Brothers or Joe Castillo
    Andrew de Leon or BBoy Elusive (although the latter's audition was shown in a montage, but I'd like to see him again)

It looks like the Vegas Round is next week. Which is too bad because I was hoping we could squeeze that and the last two auditions into this week.

Never done this before, so I hope it works, its a new short video from Aurora Light Painters. Had to wait till I could get on an actual computer as I couldn't share it from my phone.

I am not sure who my favorite is this season, besides my friends group, usually I go for the singers but I haven't see one that has impressed me yet.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Hearing Tim Poe Sunday, I will have to say that I'm surprised that people do think he's a good singer. Honestly - there are MUCH better singers here in Texas than him (and I"m saying this in spite of my other comments about him personally).

I have to admit I think the light painters are good - because you do wonder what they're going to do next, but also because you have to a. time the painting to fit the music and b. you have to be able to have a steady hand to draw that sharp and still.

Overall though I do agree there are fewer talented acts this season - kinda makes me wonder though.
    JohnnyK likes this.

Is anyone else sort of suspicious of the story that the opera-singing-goth has?? I dislike being skeptical of people but I can thank TPTB/editing for contributing to that.
    I truly want to believe but it's like the boy who called wolf sometimes. He said that he felt like an outsider/rejected all his life...added that he wasn't interested in sports like the rest of his family...which made me think that they ignored/rejected him for that....then they are all in the audience, cheering with signs.
    I also had trouble with the "never singing in front of anyone ever before" story......singing that way in his room and no one heard???

I liked his talent, all-gothy and everything but I'm tired of TPTB trying to manipulate our emotions. Let the contestants stand on their talents alone....this isn't America's Most Unfortunate Person Who Can Also Sing (or dance, or whatever). We are not the idiots that Hollywood thinks we are.
    JohnnyK likes this.

I don't know. He's much better than either of the Tims at least.

I want a non-singer to win.

I can't wait until Vegas Week. Now it's possibly going to be in two weeks. Why? Is there one audition episode tomorrow then? Today there wasn't any because of the hockey game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Is anyone else sort of suspicious of the story that the opera-singing-goth has?? I dislike being skeptical of people but I can thank TPTB/editing for contributing to that.
    I truly want to believe but it's like the boy who called wolf sometimes. He said that he felt like an outsider/rejected all his life...added that he wasn't interested in sports like the rest of his family...which made me think that they ignored/rejected him for that....then they are all in the audience, cheering with signs.
    That alone is not necessarily suspicious. My mother hates sports and would always find something else to do while I joined my dad watching the Cowboys. That doesn't mean we didn't love each other or that we treated each other badly; we simply had different personalities and interests. Remember, this boy is still a teenager, when you think the whole world is against you.

I also had trouble with the "never singing in front of anyone ever before" story......singing that way in his room and no one heard???
    Now THAT'S what I found suspicious. You don't simply wake up one day with a voice like that. It takes years of practice. I simply can't believe his family never, ever heard him singing. Friends, yes, since he might not want to be embarrassed in front of his "cooler" friends. But not his family. And I like I said, his parents didn't look all that astonished while he sang.

I liked his talent, all-gothy and everything but I'm tired of TPTB trying to manipulate our emotions. Let the contestants stand on their talents alone....this isn't America's Most Unfortunate Person Who Can Also Sing (or dance, or whatever). We are not the idiots that Hollywood thinks we are.
    You're preaching to the choir, here. That is why I now DVR these talent shows and FF through all the taped video segments. I just want to see/hear them perform, thank you, since most of these tear-jerking acts will end up washing out soon, anyway.
    Shoepie likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

+ Reply to Thread