+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent 7 Auditions 6/04 *SPOILERS*

Re: America's Got Talent 7 Auditions 6/04 *SPOILERS*

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post
    I'm just waiting to find out what the true story is, but if Tim is lying I bet it won't be shown on TV. He'll be ousted by the "judges" and not make it past Vegas. AGT doesn't need bad publicity like that.
    What will happen is if he isn't washed out in Vegas anyway, if he is disqualified there will probably be an announcement saying he decided to not continue in the show if they don't flat out say why. I think however NBC should say EXACTLY why if that did happen because it would discourage someone trying it again.

The goth/opera dude sings wonderfully, but his own parents haven't heard him sing ever? I find that hard to believe. How would you know you can sing and have the guts to try out on national TV is no one else has ever heard you sing?
    This is possible - he could've sung in school or on his own and found he could sing, but when he told his parents they think he was kidding. This happened to me for a time with juggling - I just kept at it and now it's one of my best side gigs (It has helped me get two jobs on its own). Now, if he said he never heard HIMSELF sing and think if he could do it or not - yeah... that's a bit hard to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    No
    I don't know what to think of goth opera guy, so let me break it down.

1. I think the goth thing is a schtick. I can totally believe that he dresses this way ordinarily, but why dress this way to an audition? What does this have to do with opera?

2. He has a lovely voice, but a dude singing like a soprano? That's just too weird for me.

3. This could mean nothing, but his parents didn't look all that stunned that their vampire son can sing like Beverly Sills (legendary opera star).

4. At least he didn't sing "Nessun Dorma".

5. I really, really hope this doesn't turn into a repeat of Season 2 or I may never watch this show again.
    Two words - Prince Poppycock. Save PP had a greater vocal range (including some soprano), he dressed like a Renassance fancy dressed man a lot of times - outlandish makeup and costumes. He however could also do a variety of acts that were not simply opera songs. I think the only time he really did an opera song in the live shows it was the finals, and many think he did it so he could get Jackie Evancho the win (though both have done SO MUCH BETTER not winning)

I think he's trying to do something in a similar vein - an unexpected dress for someone with a great voice.

>>>>>>>

BTW - I didn't start watching the show until the fourth season (so I didn't realize there were two singer winners before the lone NON singing - at least partially - act in Terry Fator), so I can't say much about the singing. That said, I'm someone who will flat out say "I'M SICK AND TIRED OF THE VIEWERS AT HOME ALWAYS CHOOSING A SINGER TO WIN THIS THING!"

That is not to say I hate singers, but talent is so varied and wonderful that if all we do is singers, then they just need to change it to America's Got Singers and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    Do you mean season 3, which had the opera singer win?

Season 2 was the legend that is Terry Fator. imo the best winner ever.
    Thank you. Once again I messed up.

Yes, the season when the overweight gentleman won by belting out "Nessun Dorma" and giving a sob story about not being able to go to music school. Like I said before, I love opera, but that season it just annoyed me because there were other great acts that I really thought were better and should have won. It still sets my teeth on edge that those two brothers who did the violin act didn't win. If they had, I bet they'd still be popular like Fator. They were phenomenal, and I would absolutely have paid money to see them in Vegas.
    JohnnyK likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Same here. What I have learned is that the best non-singing act always finishes third. The violin brothers, Fighting Gravity, and Team iLuminate. The runner-up in season 3 was better than the winner as well. However I am still sticking to Kevin Skinner being the worst winner ever. Like, everybody else in the top ten that season (except maybe Grandma Lee.. one of the worst comedians on this show and she makes the finals? Dumb) were better than him. And like I said, he butchered Aerosmith in the finale but people didn't care and put his sob story above everything else. I absolutely despise these shows sometimes.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Hi all - I wasn't home the night Tim Poe sang, and just now took the time to watch him online.

1. Fake stutter was obvious from the get-go.
    2. He was flat for quite a bit of the song.
    3. He had a cute smile, a big hat, a couple of kids, and an adoring fiancee. All of the necessary components of being likeable. I wonder if the hat, the kids, and the fiancee are any more real than his back story.

A little exaggeration of one's past is one thing. To fabricate his whole past and current life is something else. This guy can only hope that people forget his huge lapse in judgment, otherwise he'll be known for the rest of his life as the jerk who lied on national tv about his record as a soldier. And it's insulting that he would think his fellow soldiers would cover for him.

I didn't mean to spoil anyone's fun about the magic. If you watch these clips from Ellen, you will see why I found AGT's mentalist a little underwhelming.

World Champion Magician Shawn Farquhar Shows Off His Tricks On Ellen - YouTube

An Incredible Magic Trick! - YouTube

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

3. He had a cute smile, a big hat, a couple of kids, and an adoring fiancee. All of the necessary components of being likeable. I wonder if the hat, the kids, and the fiancee are any more real than his back story.
    Yes, I agree. Like I said, he probably knew what the people that watch this show want to vote for based on past seasons, as well as other shows (which is also why I was already rooting against him from the get-go). Were he to pull it off he would have probably been a genius, imo. Thank goodness it ain't real.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    What will happen is if he isn't washed out in Vegas anyway, if he is disqualified there will probably be an announcement saying he decided to not continue in the show if they don't flat out say why. I think however NBC should say EXACTLY why if that did happen because it would discourage someone trying it again.

This is possible - he could've sung in school or on his own and found he could sing, but when he told his parents they think he was kidding. This happened to me for a time with juggling - I just kept at it and now it's one of my best side gigs (It has helped me get two jobs on its own). Now, if he said he never heard HIMSELF sing and think if he could do it or not - yeah... that's a bit hard to believe.
    Highly doubtful they say anything about it. And they won't give an explanation either, because it makes them look bad or worse, they were also involved. Producer influence is heavy handed in this show and all shows, they don't want stuff like that publicly known. JohnnyK (Johnnypedia as I affectionately call him) has mentioned things producers have done to previous acts that could be considered sabotage to some. Plus, they aren't the morals police so making an example of one isn't going to help. People lie, cheat and deceive it's not up to a TV show to say that it is wrong, that is an individuals choice.

The goth singer said he hasn't sang in front of anyone, including his parents. How could one determine they can sing on their own? Our voice sounds totally different to us than to others, good and bad. I hate the sound of my voice, others like it and I get positive comments on that. Wouldn't singing be different? You'd have a basic understanding of what your voice sounds like but not any feedback on how it sounds to others. Does that make any
    sense? I'm not a singer, so it doesn't sound feasible that one can judge their own ability based on their opinion. Maybe they can, who knows? I would think that juggling can be determined by the person doing the juggling, no other opinion needed. I can't do that either. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's Breath
    I didn't mean to spoil anyone's fun about the magic. If you watch these clips from Ellen, you will see why I found AGT's mentalist a little underwhelming.
    You didn't spoil my fun or my bliss. LOL Speculating about how he did his act is just speculating. Unless you said this is exactly how he does that and everything involved, that would be spoiling the fun. I come up with my own theories about how magic occurs and I'm sure it's out there on the internet, I'd just rather not search that out. It's all good Baby's Breath!!
    Baby's Breath likes this.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post
    Highly doubtful they say anything about it. And they won't give an explanation either, because it makes them look bad or worse, they were also involved. Producer influence is heavy handed in this show and all shows, they don't want stuff like that publicly known. JohnnyK (Johnnypedia as I affectionately call him) has mentioned things producers have done to previous acts that could be considered sabotage to some. Plus, they aren't the morals police so making an example of one isn't going to help. People lie, cheat and deceive it's not up to a TV show to say that it is wrong, that is an individuals choice.
    JunkieGirl - this case I'm going to have to disagree: apparently it has been verified he even used a photo of another soldier claiming it was him. I cannot link the site due to rules, but apparently the soldier in the photo is a guy in El Paso and has reported it to NBC. Again - people have been disqualified for similar issues.

And - again, I want to reiterate - NBC ITSELF on it's "AGT" site lists that this is a controversy. If it wasn't such a "big deal" even to them, they wouldn't have placed it there.

Third - this is a key thing: Lie and deceit can and does happen, HOWEVER, in this case you can get into LEGAL trouble. There is a federal law called the Stolen Valor Act, which makes it a crime to say you had done certain things or won honors in the military that you didn't do. He's falsifying his records - and while again he may not get into the legal trouble, NBC is not dumb enough (or I would hope not) to NOT make an example of him if he should make it past Vegas to be DQ'd.

The goth singer said he hasn't sang in front of anyone, including his parents. How could one determine they can sing on their own? Our voice sounds totally different to us than to others, good and bad. I hate the sound of my voice, others like it and I get positive comments on that. Wouldn't singing be different? You'd have a basic understanding of what your voice sounds like but not any feedback on how it sounds to others. Does that make any
    sense? I'm not a singer, so it doesn't sound feasible that one can judge their own ability based on their opinion. Maybe they can, who knows? I would think that juggling can be determined by the person doing the juggling, no other opinion needed. I can't do that either. LOL
    Yes, our voice sounds different, however scales and volumn can be roughly estimated by the person listening. He also could've sung in the bathroom and could have estimated his ability. He obviously thought he had a chance based on how he heard his voice or he wouldn't have audtioned.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

When I posted earlier, I had to get off the computer. Went to my home page and there's the story of Tim using the other guy's photo. Doh! So it gets worse...

And - again, I want to reiterate - NBC ITSELF on it's "AGT" site lists that this is a controversy. If it wasn't such a "big deal" even to them, they wouldn't have placed it there.
    What I am curious to know now is what did the NBC official site look like earlier today or yesterday? Because there is nothing there that I can find although his audition is still up. Are you referring to the AGT site that was posted upthread? That site has all the news about this controversy, but I'm not sure if it's associated with the NBC site.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

+ Reply to Thread