+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent 7 Auditions 6/04 *SPOILERS*

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Re: America's Got Talent 7 Auditions 6/04 *SPOILERS*

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs View Post
    Finally saw it! Rock! I hope they make it through Vegas. I can't wait to see what the do next!
    Which two are your friends?

I've known the one who was wearing the hat since I was 4. I'll see how cool they are with me posting their names.
    Last edited by JLuvs; 06-06-2012 at 02:07 AM.
    JohnnyK likes this.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Look at the site now they allegedly interviewed his ex-wife
    Last edited by JohnnyK; 06-06-2012 at 01:56 AM.

Nothing would surprise me. Just shows that the research staff should be doing their job more thoroughly when they get the background stories from contestants. But if this guy is lying--you can't go much lower than saying your'e a war veteren, when you are not---I hope he is immediately disqualified.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    His military service is true, though. Because these fraud claims came from people that served with him. In the article on the site I posted there are direct quotes.
    You can serve in the military and be one of the lucky ones who stays at home your entire career. You can also be a quartermaster and end up winning a medal of honor or silver star because you had to go above and beyond your duties to save people in your camp. (example only - I haven't seen this happen).

Technically he is a war vet even if he serves at home - he was a soldier in an ongoing war.

That said, if he didn't do what he said specifically however, such as the story that supposedly created his stutter? - he's still lying and should be DQ'd because it is seen as an unfair advantage in order to continue on in the program. His sob story would as we pretty much have felt - is a sure-in way to get to at least Vegas.

Unfortunately we will not know until the live shows if he's either there anyway or if he's DQ'd who will be his replacement.

I DO think however this is a huge issue for NBC because if it wasn't they wouldn't do a smoking gun type story on their own site. Does make me think he's either eliminated in Vegas or will be disqualified.

Also from the article it says that he served from 2002-2009...

That's 7 years.

He claimed 14.

This means he's lying about his service in regard to the time served.

Now, I do not disagree that singing can help with a stutter or a person can show contrary voices between the two. Jim Nabors (Gomer Pyle in "Gomer Pyle USMC" and "The Andy Griffith Show") does indeed talk like he did in the show, but has a gorgeous voice. I personally sing out some of my phrases when I have such a severe case of the stammers in order to get my point across.

That said... when there is proof that you didn't even serve as long as you did in the military let alone a single month in Afghanistan, which makes me wonder what you did to be removed (unless got lucky and was in a troop that got an early return), it's as mentioned a fraudulent statement to gain an advantage.

Especially when it's proven you do not have a Purple Heart for an injury. He WOULD get one in this case if he were truly injured this way.

FORT Fogey

I would love to know how the mentalist knew what the drawings were and who did them! Anybody have a theory?

Regarding Tim's story, I think many contestants on these types of reality shows exagerate their story or tweake it to make more of an impression. I wouldn't even be surprised if it was producer driven. Like the goth/opera singer at the end of the show. Maybe his family did hear him sing. Maybe he is not as ostracized as he said he was. Maybe he doesn't put those freaky contacts everyday. But he wouldn't be as interesting if that was true.

I admit, Tim's lies are unforgiveable, considering the context, but I bet he's not the only one that does lie.
    He won't be DQ'd based on his lies, but the judges will not make him advance for one reason or another. And if he does (isn't that already decided anyways?), there is no way the public will vote for him now that this story is out.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    Well I didn't necessarily think he was lying, I just didn't want the same thing happening all the time.

If it is true then I guess this shows three things.

1. Don't believe every sob story that comes on these shows.

2. If the story seems too good to be true, it probably is.

3. If he had gotten away with it, he would have been a genius, as he probably knows what the voters on these shows are like and what they fall for.

What is it with the Tims this season? First Tim Hockenberry is apparently already a success, and now this.

Can I root against him now?
    Heck ya! He wasn't a standout singer anyway!

As for the mentalist that AlwaysVeg is wondering about... he supplied the paper and the pens and the two smaller pieces of "tape" that went over his eyes, right? I think those are clues. Maybe mini cams that he was watching while Nick was taping him up the rest of the way? How he could tell which drawing was being held over his head though, baffles me. I've seen guests on Ellen do things twice as good as this, however, so I think he's going to need something spectacular his next time around.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
    I admit, Tim's lies are unforgiveable, considering the context, but I bet he's not the only one that does lie.
    He won't be DQ'd based on his lies, but the judges will not make him advance for one reason or another. And if he does (isn't that already decided anyways?), there is no way the public will vote for him now that this story is out.
    I hate to say it, but he can be if he's lying about his military record. In fact, it can be worse.

There is a law called the Federal Stolen Valor Act, which makes it a crime to falsify your records for gain.

This law, passed 2005 and signed by former President George W. Bush, says "A bill to amend title 18, United States Code, to enhance protections relating to the reputation and meaning of the Medal of Honor and other military decorations and awards, and for other purposes."

Or more simply - "the Stolen Valor Act, which makes it a crime to say falsely that one has “been awarded any decoration or medal authorized by Congress for the armed forces of the United States.”" (NY Times)

While I do not think he'll get into trouble on the federal level, as it's mentioned he hasn't mentioned receiving any awards, the show would most likely do well enough to respect this once it's reported and he will be disqualified.

He IS lying about his service, and trying to show valor in a case he didn't.

Desert - while I agree that there is all likelihood that others lie... these lies are not ones that can be found to be contrary on a military record and are not potentially criminal ones.
    cablejockey and Dragonlady like this.

+ Reply to Thread