+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6/24 Show Discussion **Spoilers** (AGT 2008)

Re: 6/24 Show Discussion **Spoilers** (AGT 2008)

Wait a minute--the Pendragons? Haven't they been working as professional magicians for some time? They've had their own TV specials, or at least have appeared on someone else's.

Quote Originally Posted by dcamonkeys;3077701;
    Wait a minute--the Pendragons? Haven't they been working as professional magicians for some time? They've had their own TV specials, or at least have appeared on someone else's.
    Yes. It's B.S. for them to have been presented the way they were. They admitted they had 30 years background, but they really didn't elaborate on how successful those 30 years WERE.

The Pendragons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As you can see, they've even appeared on NBC before.

I mean I understand the show can't really sustain itself with amateurs. Last year's winner certainly wasn't an amateur. There HAVE to be Pros on this show for it to have enough good acts. But for The Hoff to go on about how "this show is about people like you" kind of leaves a bad smell. Present them as they are--people who are ALREADY reasonably famous in their segment.

They aren't superstars to the general public, of course, so certainly the exposure here has got to please them, but its kind of like a moderately successful comedian, who's already been frequently on TV, appearing as a contestant on "Last Comic Standing". I mean they've been on 14 different primetime specials, in some capacity or another, frequent guests on The Tonight Show, appeared in front of the President, in front of the Royal families of Britain and Monaco, and I'm certain have had Vegas runs before.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3077744;
    its kind of like a moderately successful comedian, who's already been frequently on TV, appearing as a contestant on "Last Comic Standing".
    Yeah, LCS has had its share of semi-pro comedians. I don't mind that so much, but I haven't watched the last few seasons after they changed from tape to film (or at least, film-look tape) because it changed the feel of the show for me. Plus, I hated many of the comedians that they chose.

Well, Krom, thanks for sticking around and keeping me company on the thread tonight. It feels a little like we've got our own show, called "Last Viewer of America's Got Talent Standing".

OK, now it's my turn! I was throughly entertained last night. My only criticism is that I hate the crowd shots of the contestants, the odd looking ones, the back stories. Just show the acts and let us decide which ones we like.

I am not an Ozzie/Sharon fan. I think the real Ozzie is so last decade or two. I was not thrilled with the Ozzie impersonator. I thought he stunk. I enjoyed the string family who sang "Sound of Music"-good for family entertainment. The magicians were all over-rated. When we see an act that has new material, then I'll be whistling. I think they were put through only because of showing his scar (which he caused through his own ineptness) and the back story. I liked the dancers. And what about that one from the last two seasons (Leonid)? When will he be back? I liked the singers. I think all the singers (so far) are different genres, so it might be interesting.

Krom and dcamonkeys, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

WhooooEEEEE! That Elvis impersonator? And Sharon's "I have shoes older than you. But, I'd LOVE to try you on." Great delivery.

I admit that I'll sit back and let them shamelessly manipulate my emotions with the various back stories, etc. I LOVE this show. Some of the acts are so ODD - the singing fairy? The magician that took the head off of the bird?

Loved the Grinder Girl. And the guy chopping the burning concrete blocks with his hands - scary, but entertaining. I'm not to sure about his next act - didn't he say they'd be DROPPING bricks on him and he'd split the bricks with his fingers before they smashed into him?

I don't watch the show while it's actually on (gotta love that DVR), but I LOVE watching it.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12