+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AGT - Ways to Improve the Show

FORT Fogey

AGT - Ways to Improve the Show

I was wondering what happened to Mr. Big the saxophonist (I loved him!), and I read elsewhere that he was eliminaed.

I absolutely love this show - the premise, the judges, Jerry, and the acts (regardless of how cooky they are). But, the editing on the show really, really stinks.

We were left seeing great enthusiasm about this kid, and then we never saw anything more from him. The audience is left hanging, and it is really frustrating. We each have our favorites and we want to see what happens to them.

I'm not a huge fan of the Redneck Tenors, but I was really disgusted by how the judges built them up just to let them drop when they told them they didn't advance.

How mean is that?!?!? That is one thing I really have a hard time with on this show and Idol. They judges DO cross the line. For me, it is disheartening and it leaves a bad taste.

So, my two cents....edt better and be respectful - not mean - when they let people go.

Re: AGT - Ways to Improve the Show

Get rid of Hasselhoff. While admittedly he's the one who protested about how LUDICROUS Boy Shakira was, he doesn't bring much else to the show. He's a crappy singer himself, so I doubt his ability to judge singing.

Get rid of Piers. He doesn't understand American tastes or culture, and it shows.

Get rid of Sharon. She's a nice lady, and knows a bit about music, but she fits into the Paula "Barking Seal" role too well. Wave an animal act in front of her and you have her. Have something "cute" on stage and you have her.

No matter who the 3 judges are, don't let Simon sit just off camera acting as the 4th and decisive judge. This HAS TO be what happened with the Rednecks. Could Piers really have been SO strong on not having them otherwise that the other two complied? Probably not. Unless Simon was the 4th vote and didn't want them. Similarly, I don't think Hasselhoff would ever have signed off on Boy Shakira unless Simon basically MADE HIM do so.

Also, yes, the editing on this show STINKS. Even more than Idol they cut through the "meat" of so many acts so completely.

And they just need to bite the bullet and have TWO prizes instead of one. ONE for singing, one for variety. Dividing the "call backs" that way was a step, but not enough. Singing will ALWAYS win, I think, when its down to a public vote, unless they've purposely eliminated all the good singers to stack the deck. Why wait for them to manipulate like that. Just admit the problem and have two $500,000 prizes instead of a single $1million prize. And add getting the winners Vegas bookings as an extra prize. That's really the only home for most of the "variety" acts anyway, and it wouldn't HURT the singers, while they work on their inevitable albums which nobody will probably buy (actually the Vegas booking would probably do more for their careers anyway).

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Fogey

Get rid of Hasselhoff...Get rid of Piers...Get rid of Sharon.
    That is funny. I guess this means Jerry gets to pick who advances and who doesn't (that would be a good show all by itself).

don't let Simon sit just off camera acting as the 4th and decisive judge
    You like them tenors, don't you?!

the editing on this show STINKS. Even more than Idol they cut through the "meat" of so many acts so completely.
    Yep. It's really horrific - not to mention counterproductive in trying to develop a passionate and devoted audience. They really can't cut in and out of the contestants stories the way they do. I'm not nearly as mad about the tenors getting the boot as I am about not getting to see the outcome of my favorite contestants and even some full performances of those who did make it to the top 20 (e.g. tumblers, cowboy with whip).[/QUOTE]

And they just need to bite the bullet and have TWO prizes instead of one. ONE for singing, one for variety. Dividing the "call backs" that was a step, but not enough. Singing will ALWAYS win
    Agreed, agreed, and agreed. Esp. about having two awards because a singer will always win. Although, in a wierd way, this is a very nice alternative to Idol - individuality, etc.

add getting the winners Vegas bookings as an extra prize. That's really the only home for most of the "variety" acts anyway,
    Agreed again - although maybe just for the variety acts - not the singers.

I actually like the 3 judges - and Jerry. Other than that, I think the show would be much improved with your suggestions.

Show us the whole performance, not just the beginning and end.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

One way to improve the show would be to put the actually talented through to the next round and cut the crappy acts! ie Boy Shakira, poor foreign can't dance dude
    Spay and Neuter your Pets!
    www.chemkim.com

The only way to improve this show is to find some actual talent.

FORT Fogey

it seems like anoth singer will win

Wouldn't it be nice if the puppeteer won? I thought all of them did a nice job, although Butterscotch was not my particular cup of tea.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723;2508336;
    The only way to improve this show is to find some actual talent.
    I actually like the talent (for the most part). I think there were some exceptional performers who weren't singers.

Someone suggested having winners from two cateogries - one is a singing category and the other is everyone else. I like that idea a great deal.

FORT Regular

Unfortunately if you start dividing it up, it will end up dividing kids/adults, dance vs. comic, and then you'll end up with Star Search. ha! While I agree a singer "will always win" (well sorta, after last night's finale), the premise of the show is one big winner and the concept of "America chose with millions of votes" blah blah blah.

And Krom, good call on getting them a Vegas act. Terry got a gig at Bally's last night.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast