+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 7/11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 7/11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I'm taking it off of my TIVO as of today...Boy Shakira AND Bollywood 7-11 guy dancer????????????? They are so out of touch, I'm taking that hour of my life back.

FORT Fogey

Boy. It's pretty clear that everyone has vastly different tastes and interpretations of what this show is all about and consequently, who advances and why.

We each callz 'em like we seez 'em. like Boy Shakira and Bollywood, and yes, I think genuine passion for the talent - as opposed for passion for the fame - AND humility are important elements to the premise of the show. In other words, and in my opinion (not sayin' it's fact or anything) the show is all about average Americans doing extraordinary and entertaining things simply because they love to do them.

And, I'll take a 3-minute performance of Boy Shakira over a 60-minute Madonna concert any day of the week. Different tastes. That is all.

But as we've seen from YEARS of American Idol, a lot of untalented people can be VERY passionate. Since when is passion a SUBSTITUTE for talent?

As for humility, that only goes so far. Ego is necessary for confidence--most of the truly spectacular talents in history had ego. Elvis did. John Lennon did. Pavarotti does. Name someone who's at the pinnacle of their field without a healthy ego, and what have you got? Either an exception about as rare as being hit by lightning OR someone who is faking their humility.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2474709;
    But as we've seen from YEARS of American Idol, a lot of untalented people can be VERY passionate. Since when is passion a SUBSTITUTE for talent?

As for humility, that only goes so far. Ego is necessary for confidence--most of the truly spectacular talents in history had ego. Elvis did. John Lennon did. Pavarotti does. Name someone who's at the pinnacle of their field without a healthy ego, and what have you got? Either an exception about as rare as being hit by lightning OR someone who is faking their humility.
    It's all about striking the right balance. And there is no clear line. Humility does have it's limits. Ego does too but in the opposite direction. I won't get into the whole "ego" vs. "confidence" issue. I have a different spin on all of that, but suffice it to say that I think confidence is necessary, but not ego (assuming "ego" means conceit in this discussion).

I didn't say passion is a substitute for talent. What I said is that IMHO it's an inherent component to the premise of the show. Talent is a whole 'nuther issue, and of course, one has to have it to be successful.

I guess we have to disagree then on whether or not what "Boy Shakira" does actually takes talent then. Is there enthusiasm? Sure. But again, going back to the American Idol example, William Hung was enthusiastic too. Pretty much EVERY headcase who comes in is. And SOME of these people can even perform, for short performance, to foot stomping cheering enthusiastic crowds. Who are enjoying the SPECTACLE more than the performance itself. That's what I thought I saw among the audience watching Boy Shakira--dropped jaws, giggling, and people enjoying the ridiculousness of it. Which perhaps can be defined as a good act in some ways, but its not something which can LAST. And that's what they are supposed to be scoping out here.

Its like... okay, I remember years ago listening to a Howard Stern show where that gay guy, Mark Harris, who married Martha Raye for her money was on. He had this amazing over the top shlockfest of an act, where he'd sing really flamboyant versions of stuff like "Yankee Doodle Dandy". Listening to it for a few minutes, I think most people would laugh their ass off and say it entertained them, because it was so over the top. But then the guy came back at a later date and did similar shtick, and it was just a bit less funny. Until after enough performances eventually all that remained was how ridiculous it was.

That's how I see "Boy Shakira's" act playing too out over a longer period of time.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by rodh32340;2471453;
    I'm taking it off of my TIVO as of today...Boy Shakira AND Bollywood 7-11 guy dancer????????????? They are so out of touch, I'm taking that hour of my life back.
    MEGA ditto.

Redneck Tenors (who can actually sing!) are out and those two are in????

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123