+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AGT 07/20 Recap: Hey NBC, Ever Hear the Saying, ‘Less Is More?’

AGT 07/20 Recap: Hey NBC, Ever Hear the Saying, ‘Less Is More?’

Well, it’s a good thing I happened to set my recorder to begin taping a half hour early last night, because NBC, in keeping with it’s constant shifting of air times for AGT, once again had the show air at a different time than had been advertised. If I hadn’t caught the first half hour, this recap would be half as long, which now that I think about it, wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Anyhoo, I was simply delighted to get an additional half hour of Reeg, The Hoff, Brandy and Piers, and I know you’re anxious to read what happened to all those wacky talented Americans, so let’s get it on.

More Of The Same

Reeg reminds us that two acts have already made it to the finals: The Millers (two brothers, one of whom plays a mean harmonica) and Taylor Ware (a yodeling Wizard-of-Oz-like preteen). Reeg also promises us the show will be packed tighter than the Hasselhoff’s swim shorts. Now, he doesn’t clarify what it will be packed with, so immediately my imagination takes over. It could be packed with lots of smaltzy acts, or packed with green Jell-o®. Hey, if the Jell-o guarantees an appearance by Bill Cosby, I’m voting for the Jell-o. Actually, now that I think about it, whether or not it brings with it Bill Cosby, I’m voting for the Jell-o. Reeg is still upset that the judges couldn’t come to any kind of conclusion last night (not half as angry as Yardgnome), and he lets us know that tonight an additional two acts will be moving on to the finals. I call B.S. on the supposed tension-filled-we-just-can’t-decide-yet ending to Wednesday’s show, and the pretentious we-bicker-just-like-those-AI-judges crap these guys insist on engaging in. The Hoff, and Piers explain the problem the other night was in trying to figure out what type of act should be put through. See, they have the horrendous pressure of trying to determine how you compare the value of a singing act vs. a juggling act vs. a dancing act. Now that they’ve explained it to us, I don’t understand how they sleep at night with such a heavy burden. After much more flapping of jaws, The Hoff finally says they eventually chose Realis to move on. Realis you may remember is an acrobatic team of two, who are quite impressive with their gymnastics partnering.

Realis showing us how they balance work and family.

More Weird Americans Vying For Their 15 Minutes

The Powers That Be have decided a good way to use up the additional 30 minutes tonight is to showcase more weirdos that didn’t make it through. These next few acts aren’t vying for the money, they’re not even vying for a donut and a cup of coffee. They’re simply showing off their talent. The first fellow ‘plays’ songs by running his fingers around crystal glasses filled with water. Next up is a husband/wife team where the husband snuffs lit candles held by his wife, by whipping them with lassos. The third act is a young lady who hopes to break a world record by winding 20 hula hoops around her neck for three full revolutions. She begins her act by artfully maneuvering hula hoops around her waist and arms, but from what I could tell, she was not successful with the 20. Don’t fear, Camille, however, because with any luck, Trump will be calling you for a shot as his Apprentice, because you’re adorable. The fourth contestant is a fellow who calls himself a cigar box manipulator (not to be confused with a juggler). He’s actually very entertaining, and I can see him bringing home loads of cash and pińata candy from kids’ birthday parties. Number Five is an amateur drummer/boxer who is trying to create a new art. He demonstrates his talent by hitting a punching bag and drumming with the other hand. He seems like a sweet guy, but basically *yawn* *sssnnnnoorrrrrreeee*…

The audience votes for their favorite, and they choose the first contestant, Douglas Lee, who played the water glasses. What does he win? Nothing. Isn't this a great show?

More Senseless ‘Entertainment’

For no particular reason than to use up more time, Teddy Geiger comes onstage to sing and play piano. He’s pretty entertaining, but I have no idea what song he sang, as NBC didn’t put his name or the song title on the screen. Shouldn’t his agent be making sure he gets the most exposure out of appearances like this? I had to Google his name in order to make sure I spelled it correctly. Good luck, Teddy.

More Drama Than A Soap Opera

We’re reintroduced to last night’s performers, and the top two have the possibility of moving on.

1. Dave the Horn Guy - the idiot with horns glued all over an orange jumpsuit. Going home.
    2. Mark the Knife - another idiot who combined a baby doll with fire and knives, and then chopped lettuce with a lawn mower. Going home.
    3. Vladimir - metal pyramid balancer. Going home.
    4. Bobby Badfingers - a unique dancing and finger-snapping entertainer. Going home.
    5. At Last - an all-male a cappella singing group who blow away all others. Staying.
    6. Leonid the Magnificent - an emotional Russian acrobat, who should perform at Kathy Griffin concerts. Going home.
    7. Sugar and Spice - an adorable family of young girls who could easily snag any commercial calling for cherubic, angelic faces, but unfortunately don’t have much talent in the way of dancing or singing. Going home.
    8. N’Versity - three young singing ladies, dressed somewhat provocatively, but lacking polish. Going home.
    9. Natasha Lee - an eight-year-old amazingly-talented girl who plays piano like Liberace (and is easier on the eyes). Staying.

For clarification, tonight’s top two acts vying for their spot in the finale are At Last and Natasha Lee, with America having chosen At Last to be the talent going forward from here. Little Natasha Lee takes the tough news with a smile, and there’s probably no doubt her mother was being slipped agents’ business cards before they even hit the parking lot.

The future looks bright and sparkly for Natasha Lee.

At Last outlasted the other acts and will be moving on up.

This week ends with Realis and At Last moving on to the finals. Next week NBC guarantees more wacky talented people for us to enjoy and be repulsed by. If you think the lighting on this show is the best you’ve ever seen, contact me at roseskid@fansofrealitytv.com.
    Last edited by roseskid; 07-21-2006 at 07:19 PM.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

This show is defintely not for those that like their entertainment tightly edited. Personally I would have preferred them just telling us who won at the beginning of next week's semi-finals. All it would take is one sentence.
    That would have deprived me of your recap and I always enjoy your recaps. I just hope that NBC realizes how much value you are adding to their show.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

Thank you for the wonderful recap! You did a great job with a bunch of filler. Maybe NBC will take a hint and not try to drum up "American Idol" fever for a (so far) silly summer filler show!

Another wonderful job, Roses! I feel your pain!

Quote Originally Posted by roses
    It could be packed with lots of smaltzy acts, or packed with green Jell-o®. Hey, if the Jell-o guarantees an appearance by Bill Cosby, I’m voting for the Jell-o.

What does he win? Nothing. Isn't this a great show?

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid View Post

The Powers That Be have decided a good way to use up the additional 30 minutes tonight is to showcase more weirdos that didn’t make it through. These next few acts aren’t vying for the money, they’re not even vying for a donut and a cup of coffee.

Number Five is an amateur drummer/boxer who is trying to create a new art. He demonstrates his talent by hitting a punching bag and drumming with the other hand. He seems like a sweet guy, but basically *yawn* *sssnnnnoorrrrrreeee*…

Shouldn’t his agent be making sure he gets the most exposure out of appearances like this? I had to Google his name in order to make sure I spelled it correctly. Good luck, Teddy.

Horrible show, great recap
    Really good job with very bad material to work with.

Thank you for the very funny recap, Roses!

I was refusing to watch this show and I am so glad to be able to read about who made it through.

I didn't know the results, thanks for taking the time to write this recap. I like Realis and hope they will win.

Thank you Roseskid for enduring that painful show. I just can't handle the excitement of the results show. That and I want to keep my dinner down!

So I rely on the recap to know who made it through. Actually it's not really a recap because then it would be as boring as the show. You outdid yourself to make it sound interesting. Kudos!
    Spay and Neuter your Pets!
    www.chemkim.com

Roses, you can magically alchemize even the most worthless of filler into something entertaining.

Amazing job yet again, I think you should be addressed as "Ro the Magnificent" from now on!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

+ Reply to Thread