+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent 7 Semifinal #1 (Aug 28-29) Discussion *SPOILERS*

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Re: America's Got Talent 7 Semifinal #1 (Aug 28-29) Discussion *SPOILERS*

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    I'm not a big fan of the format change either. I wonder if there will be a judges' vote for the third spot?
    Maybe the Olympics caused the change in format this year? Stupid sports always interrupting things I want to watch.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

I chose to watch "Face Off" honestly - one of the few shows left where talent and your skills determine your longevity there. Even tonight for the most part I agree with that.

Looking at the summary of what happened - I'll say this:

1. Sand artist is NOT "stagnate" - as he mentioned it's a lot to do in 90 seconds. I'd like to see Howard even attempt to tell a story and so pretty like in that amount of time (well actually in 5).

2. William Close better be one of the three to advance to the finals.

3. Turf SHOULD be done, but if Howie has his way, Turf's in.

4. Tom pales in comparison to many of the comedians I've seen on this show or anywhere. He'd be eaten up for the most part in Las Vegas. He wasn't strong tonight.

5. I missed Rebecca and Donovan's performance, but it was nice to see her lift him in the one snippet I saw.

6. The singers were forgettable.

7. Scott Brothers and the Academy of Villians outshone Turf from what I saw - sorry, but they did. And sadly they'll probably lose out to him. Seriously - Turf is NOT a million dollar act - his contortions are not lovely or elegant or even really tell a story.

If we get Tom and Turf in with one other thrown in I'm officially done with this season (and yes this is with Close in the mix).

Warning - Rant mode ahead - major headache level, so venting makes me feel better

*clears throat*

BTW - I'm almost 100 percent certain the situation we have with only a top 6 is due to the Games, which bears to question - WHY did they bother having the show on this season BEFORE the Games started? I mean, Really NBC - WHY DID YOU DO IT! You knew that the Games were coming up, you are fourth in the big four networks, and probably even further down with even just basic cable.

You have now taken away four acts' chances of winning this thing and showing us what TRUE talent is because we know one of the performers will be Turf - who NO ONE is going to pay $50 or more (and I'm being far to reasonable here on the price of tickets) to watch - not even for an opening act.

I'm sorry, Turf seems like a nice kid, but you shouldn't favor a contestant at all nor allow judges to do such a thing - and especially allow the judges to say things such as "well, you probably won't beat Turf" (if not literal words, close enough). It's demoralizing to the performers and honestly makes people go "Why bother if I'm not going to be judged on MY talents alone and just will be comprared to another person.

Seriously, I'm glad "Face Off" is on Tuesdays this season - it's still quite popular, will have another show following it that will be just as hot (Hot Set). The amount of favoritism here is so damn blatant that it's not funny. At least some of the acts such as Close with the Earth Harp actually EARN that talent moniker.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Asking this show to make the competition evenly fair for everybody is clearly asking way too much. Most are just there as fodder for the producers' favorites. The Scott Brothers are amazing. I love watching them every time. I don't really have a Top 3, instead I'd find it easier to say who I do not want to see advance. Tom will probably advance, and I think he did well so I would not be as upset.

However, if acts like Turf advance tomorrow, then I will formally create a Meltdown Club for myself and anyone else that wants to join.
    Shoepie likes this.

FORT Newbie

I truly believe Turf is done. You did not see Howie constantly bringing him up over and over throughout the show.

I thought Tom Cotter was great last night. My top three are Tom, William and Dittelman. It is a shame cause if we could have five then The Scott Brothers and Rebecca and Donovon should be in. I thought last night overall was great show. I also am hopeful this year's winner will not be a singer.
    JunkieGirl and JohnnyK like this.

Why only top 3? And how did the Olympics necessitated a format change? Nick did not even explain the sudden change. Not fair for the 4 acts who didn't make the finals. So instead of 2 hours they will only do a 1 hour finale? Is that why we only have 6 finalists? This is difficult, with only 3 going to the finals which so much talent around. Didn't Howie said that this is the year of the dance? Although I was very much entertained by the pop and locking Scott Brothers and I enjoyed the props that the Academy of Villains used in the 2nd half of their routine, I don't think any of the dance acts will make it to the finals...and yes that includes Turf. Neither any of the singers will move on as there are really better talent out there.

The 3 that are moving on:

William Close (it will be travesty if he doesnt move on)
    Tom Cotter (have i seen him before in Last Comic Standing?)
    Joe Castillo (although I'm not sure who will be 3rd)

Maybe the judges will give us a surprise and vote in a couple of more acts as a twist.

I think Close and Cotter are definitely in.

I truly believe Turf is done. You did not see Howie constantly bringing him up over and over throughout the show.
    I don't know. My hopes are not high, and they won't be until we see what happens.

The biggest miracle ever would be the Scott Brothers moving on. But they won't, unfortunately.

My full recap of tonight's show is up, but here's my ranking and impression of each act, in short:

1. William Close and the Earth Harp - Breathtaking, original art. I loved the new instruments.
    2. Joe Castillo - I could watch the pictures in the sand all day. Trying to figure out what he's making is always part of the fun. It's like he unravels a mystery for us.
    3. Tom Cotter - Consistently polished and funny all the time.
    4.The Academy of Villains - fun to watch, good synchronization.
    5. Donovan and Rebecca - They really are very strong. I think they've shown us all they have, though.
    6.Scott Brothers - They are great, but they've peaked.
    7.Todd Oliver - I thought he was funny until I saw Cotter and realized the difference.
    8. Dittleman - Both tricks were a little transparent.
    9.Bria Kelly - Would do better on American Idol.
    10. Edon - The first verse was too low for him.
    11. Andrew DeLeon - News flash: you must have training to sing opera well. Parts of this were dreadful.
    12. Turf - I am more grossed out by him than entertained.
    Check out my recaps of Dr. Who and other TV shows at http://recappersdelight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    Here comes Turf and Howie's completely obsessing over him again. "This is your life, this is your flesh, you need this!" Give me a darn break. (tweet?)
    COME ON TURF ISNT THAT BAD, I dont think he is the best act but what he does is pretty cool and if anyone needs 1 million dollars its Turf, he comes from nothing literally. However the best acts tonight were Tom Cotter Academy of Villians and Eric Dittleman. Forgive my ignorance, but I really dont get the big deal with William Close, what he does is great but there are soooo many acts that i love more than him, and I dont think he should win im sorry thats just my opinion. I had to fast forward thru Bria Kelly i wasnt impressed, Joe Castillo is good but im more excited to see David Garabaldi and the CMYKs next week, they are more talented to me

Edon and the Scott Brothers disappointed me last night I think they are great but their performances last night were not as good as the first ones. Its so unfair that only 3 acts can move on why let 24 acts move on to eliminate 18 of them in the semifinals.... please dont let this happen again in season 8 NBC!!

Forgive my ignorance, but I really dont get the big deal with William Close, what he does is great but there are soooo many acts that i love more than him, and I dont think he should win im sorry thats just my opinion. I had to fast forward thru Bria Kelly i wasnt impressed, Joe Castillo is good but im more excited to see David Garabaldi and the CMYKs next week, they are more talented to me
    Close is playing a gigantic string instrument, and just like a violin, viola, cello or other stringed instrument, you glide your hand wrong on the strings it will squeal like fingernails on a chalkboard. It takes huge skill to get that music to sound right.

Plus, he's one of the very few acts here who has indeed shown us he can be a Las Vegas act - and quite possibly be similar to the one true success here (a non-singer BTW), in holding a show of his own.

As far as David Garabaldi - I love him too and if Joe doesn't advance for sure I want David to advance to the finals. Be nicer though if both could advance.

And on Turf - my problem is that yes, he may need the million, but his act isn't good enough to earn the million - not compared to the other acts. My peeve is more with Howie and Howard though trying to get the audience to let him win.

Right. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't base my favorites on who needs the money most, but on who I think is the best, no matter what their story is. And that's how the show should be.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast