+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: America's Got Talent 7/24 quarters - *Spoilers*

America's Got Talent 7/24 quarters - *Spoilers*

OK, watched this evening's quarters and will say one thing:

WHY did the producers put all the good acts in this quarters?

I mean seriously - 10 of the 12 acts were entertaining and upped their game. Only two - the singers (Ulysses and the singing duo) I felt fell flat.

Yes, I'm saying this with HORSE - who I loathe with a passion, in the 10. Even he was entertaining, though I do NOT want to see him advance (more for his health).

This round will be hard to judge the four to the next round - but I can see the other six not advancing that really should have a second chance in the wildcard (if they do one and don't decide to drop it due to the Games).

My favorite four - Earth Harp, the sand art, the group of dancers and the dog show. I also adored the mariachi singer the single dancer and the cloggers. I can see the young acrobat dancer get into Cirque - as a dancer and a contortionist. "Varekai" is one I can see her in.

And you could clearly tell by the judges' comments they're saying "PLEASE America - show some sense: a non-singing act this year would be the best winner."

This quarters IMHO makes a good argument to not bring anyone from Las Vegas who didn't make it to the wildcard. I like the goth singer, but he's the only one I can remember who was worth advancing to the live shows and he could use a year to work on his skills and nerves.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Re: America's Got Talent 7/24 quarters - *Spoilers*

Could Howie stop mentioning Turf every single episode?

Of these guys I don't care who moves on. I think Olate Dogs, William Close, and Joe Castillo are definite ins. Who the fourth is could be anyone.

The 3 that will move on are:

1. Earth harp
    2. Sand art
    3. Dog show

As for the act the judges will vote through.

I think it's going to be between Unity in Motion and the mind reader. These two acts would have gotten through by audience vote or judges vote if they were in last week's (or previous week's) group. I don't think the father/daugher singing act, the bike act, and the young comedian would not have made it if they were in the last group.

I hope they let the mind reader through. I hope the Mariachi boy singer doesn't get through as he was flat. I don't know why the judges gushed over him. Kinda like the way they gushed over the father and daughter singer who got through. Last week there were a lot of failed and bad acts, this week most of them are good.
    Last edited by jammyjoe; 07-25-2012 at 03:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    Could Howie stop mentioning Turf every single episode?

Of these guys I don't care who moves on. I think Olate Dogs, William Close, and Joe Castillo are definite ins. Who the fourth is could be anyone.
    Of course he can't - I think he truly feels that Turf should win in spite of all this TRULY GENUINE talent.

Let's be real though - almost all of the acts in this round SHOULD be the final 10 acts, but not all will get that chance. There are only a couple in the earlier rounds who should be there. Turf ain't one of them.

jammiejoe - you are spot on in that several of the acts in recent weeks would NOT have advanced if we had some of these acts in this round of auditions. The producers really screwed up here - which is why I feel that most of these should be in the wildcard if they're not one of the four.

In fact, I think we'd had ZERO singers - including Hockenberry, had that happened. We may have truly had a year where there was a guaranteed no singer winner.

Rather than name the acts I think should go on, I'd think I'll just list the ones I think should get gone:

David "The Bullet" Smith: Kind of tired of the man. His act is fairly one note (get shot out of a cannon), and even if he keeps increasing the distance, I'm really only going to be less and less impressed each time.

Ulysses: Didn't have the right feel this week.

Joe Castillo: Was I the only one who felt lost from the word "go" during his act? Because, while previously, he had something to say, this time, he really seemed all over the place.

Sebastien "El Charro de Oro": I really think slower songs don't do him any favors. I feel like the judges gushed over him simply because he was a kid, and not on the merit of his work.

Horse: For his own health, he shouldn't be coming back. I mean, it's brutal just to watch him getting hit in the junk.
    Revenge is ice cream.

I agree with your notes Haiken - but I'll be honest: I do think that almost all of the acts were spot on last night, even though there are some that competitively I agree with shouldn't continue.

Quote Originally Posted by HaikenEdge View Post
    Rather than name the acts I think should go on, I'd think I'll just list the ones I think should get gone:

David "The Bullet" Smith: Kind of tired of the man. His act is fairly one note (get shot out of a cannon), and even if he keeps increasing the distance, I'm really only going to be less and less impressed each time.
    This is probably what will hurt him. Logically people won't let him continue because he can't do much more without becoming part of the 85 percent. That said a Field Goal with the football and keeping hold of it was impressive.

Ulysses: Didn't have the right feel this week.
    He'd do well as a fun show where people call out songs and see if they can stump him. But no, he shouldn't advance. That said, I felt Howard's comments were a little harsh - Ulysses was a better singer than Big Barry by far.

Joe Castillo: Was I the only one who felt lost from the word "go" during his act? Because, while previously, he had something to say, this time, he really seemed all over the place.
    Probably - these were clearly animals that are endangered and every time there was a red flash that animal was supposedly dead/extinct. It then concluded with the tear - be it Earth or God (depending on beliefs) crying at how these beautiful animals are going extinct. Most people I know seeing this round thought the same thing.

His sand art was rather powerful - and I think he has a good shot at advancing. There is a sand painter who has won on an international version, but given he's doing these in 90 seconds, I'd love to see what he can do with a longer time frame like the one the woman who won had.

Sebastien "El Charro de Oro": I really think slower songs don't do him any favors. I feel like the judges gushed over him simply because he was a kid, and not on the merit of his work.
    His faster mariachi is much better by far. He was off tonight, but it wasn't absolutely horrid as say Big Barry or most of the singers.

Horse: For his own health, he shouldn't be coming back. I mean, it's brutal just to watch him getting hit in the junk.
    This is another one I agree with flat out - though he did as I say up his game and actually make it entertaining instead of just cringe-worthy (which it was too).

Just catching up on last night's show now.

Why is Cannon Guy still here? I hope he goes home.

The Cloggers
    --pretty good, but not outstanding. Might be in trouble.

Ulysses--I'm confused as to why he's still here, too. I thought it was totally boring. Is Dick Clark still alive? I hope he didn't see that. I will say, though, that I thought Howard was rude with his "terrorism" remark.

Sand Art Guy--I, too, wasn't sure where he was going with it. However, he is incredibly talented, so I hope he goes through. And Howard, obviously you should hook up with Johnny so he can show you Ukranian Lady. I would love to see what Mr. Castillo could do if he had an extended period of time like her.

Mariachi boy is cute, but I can't take him seriously singing a love song. It's nothing against him; I feel the same way about the young Michael Jackson.

Mind Reading Guy
    --love it!

Earth Harp--my favorite act since his audition. And it wasn't just his music, either. I loved the whole staging of his act, what with that ethereal light shining on him.

Unity in Motion--why did they bother to have the other 3 QF shows? Holy mackerel, I haven't even finished watching the show and I feel like with Unity, Sand Art, and Earth Harp I'm seeing the Final 3. And no, Howard, I don't think it was "luck of the draw" that they were on tonight. I'm glad that you criticized the producers for putting the best acts on this night, howevr, because you're right. Unity (and the other two) deserve to go through. Note to Howie: you're just jealous because that Unity girl blew Turf out of the water doing contortionist stuff. Too bad!

On a side note, did anybody else recognize the music? It was "Lux Aeterna," and evidently it's famous because it's been used in a bunch of movies and TV shows.

Eric & Olivia--pretty good, but not sure they'll go through. They're the ones who were out of luck having to perform tonight. They might have stood out more on a previous night.

Lindsay the Dancer--lovely. And no, Howie, she is not like Turf!!! Part of me wishes she were on our Olympic gymnastics team. We'd probably win the gold.

Jackass Guy
    --why is he still here? At least Ulysses has a modicum of talent. This guy is pathetic.

Dogs--any other night I might have said I wanted them to go through, but not tonight. Again, they were an act that got screwed being put on tonight.

Sand Art, Unity, and Earth Harp deserve the Top 3. The Dancer, Mind Reader, and Dogs should get the 4th spot. Remaining two should get wildcarded.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

The Four in are:

Click to see Spoiler:
    The Olete Dogs, The Earth Harp Guy, Joe Collins (sand art guy), and the mind reader.

Also - guaranteed a wild card spot now is All That, who lost out to the mind reader in judge's choice.

I have to admit I'm OK with these four advancing, save the Judge's Choice - who is last in the spoilers. He wasn't bad, but I felt the other two in the final grouping were a bit stronger.

Apparently the judges get to choose an act and one is guaranteed now by Sharon. I'm hoping that a couple of the other acts get a second chance:

Click to see Spoiler:
    I want Unity and Lindsey to have a chance so they can go kick Turf's butt and show what REAL contortionist dancing is - beautiful in its oddness. There is a reason why my favorite character in any of the "Cirque" shows has been the young contortionist that is a worm then butterfly in "Varekai" - the original person in the role just did a beautiful job in the role.

And kudos for our mariachi boy - he HUGGED Earth Harp guy and congratulated him as he walked off. You could tell he was sad but that reaction between the two was genuine. If he gets a wild card chance though - No slow songs, he has time to mature a bit and make those songs shine better. The faster ones are more suited for his age currently.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Well I was right on the top three. Not surprised to see Eric move on either though. However I was surprised to see All That make the top 5. And bringing them back to the wildcard? Not sure I agree.

The Olympics will probably delay this show for a couple weeks or so.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    Well I was right on the top three. Not surprised to see Eric move on either though. However I was surprised to see All That make the top 5. And bringing them back to the wildcard? Not sure I agree.

The Olympics will probably delay this show for a couple weeks or so.
    I'm OK with All That getting a wild card - especially if it keeps the weaker performers out.

I think that Lindsey, Unity, and a few others in this one will get a chance too.

The only ones I would hope they wise up and NOT give them a second chance are any of the magicians, Horse, the juggler (saying this as a juggler myself, but he's too amateur), the stacker, Big Barry, Ulysses, and most of the singers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast