+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent 7 July 10 Quarterfinal *SPOILERS*

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Re: America's Got Talent 7 July 10 Quarterfinal *SPOILERS*

I agree. It's either rigged or the voters are awful and can't accept variety, which is why singers and stories always win AGT and WGWGs win Idol.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    I agree. It's either rigged or the voters are awful and can't accept variety, which is why singers and stories always win AGT and WGWGs win Idol.
    Don't get the WGWG - I read it as Fozzie's "wocka wocka" - but yeah, I do think the voters are bad in decision making overall and yeah, I'm starting to smell rigging.

They don't want that - this is more of a game show than reality show because of the similarity to the "Gong Show" or "30 Seconds to Impress America" (well some reality show where you got 30 seconds to do your act and if you were liked you had a chance to win a grand prize of I think $5K).

And - game shows are under FCC guidelines. There is enough to rule "AGT" is a game show - and if they did rig it, then there would be sanctions.

I am sure the light painters would live a wild card spot. They really have enjoyed the experience and I know they would love another shot. None of results shocked me tonight.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

FORT Fogey

I agree with all of you. What a mess.

Tom (comic) is the one I would like to see win. I can see him in Vegas easily. Rebecca and ? are fabulous and I can see them winning, as well.

None of the dance teams, on any of the seasons, comes close to a million dollar act. I would love to see them eliminate singers altogether; we have too many singing competitions on TV as it is.

Big Barry, what nonsense.

Turf? So limited and alarming to watch. Lion dance, same thing, limited.

The judges fighting is driving me nuts too. This is not the venue for Howard; stay on the radio. Love Sharon and she voted for the 14 year old singer because she wanted her to get a vote. Clearly she is not Vegas material, no children are.

Turf is so limited that the only reason he's on IMHO is the heartstring story (homeless, dancing for money in the streets). That or producer manipulation. He's not a Vegas act at all.

At least LionDanceMe can change to dragons, could do some sort of circus style act as well as the poles (which is their problem - I could see them at least try to do a log rolling/ball balance act even with four), and again - have a lion tamer bit where they end up trying to get the lettuce that is the "lucky money" (bit more traditional yes - but not many people have seen this dance and it's amazing and adds quite a bit of humor).

And yes - I wish they'd take out the singers entirely (especially when 4/5 have been the winner of the show), but given singing is a talent - they'd cry foul worse if the genre was removed.

I have to say this was a very underwhelming week. There’s a whole recap at this blog, but here are the most pertinent observations:

LionDanceMe is a beautiful act to watch, and I can really appreciate the difficulty of what they do. I understand that what they do does not have enough variety to work for this kind of show, but I did not like the judge’s suggestions. To add martial arts or lose the costumes is to take away from the cultural integrity of the show.

Turf disturbs me. He’s graceful and fluid, but I don’t really enjoy watching him do stunts that appear to be both grotesque and painful. His poverty is not enough reason for me to be a fan.

The All Ways are annoying posers and I am glad they are gone.

I actually enjoyed Hawley Magic, because I did not know how to do the trick. I am OK with cheesy flourishes; I think all magic acts are kind of cheesy, really. Yes, they are performing illusions, but the illusions are by definition contrived. It’s still fun.

The Lisa Clark Dancers were really cute and fun. They have peaked, but I hope they get more gigs as a result of being on TV. It’s a cute kid’s dance troupe.

Aurora Light Painters - I am deeply disappointed at how childish, silly, and small they ended up being on the big stage. They came across as a show that is only for children, and parts of it really were kind of boring. There was no build-up, and the payoff was lame. Howard was right. They needed a story. What a let-down.

I am not sure what the judges heard with Danielle Stallings. I heard a lot of really bad notes, when she wasn’t drowned out by the sound mixing. I am surprised she did this well. She’s very good for fourteen, but she’s not ready for this stage yet.

Donovan and Rebecca have a fluid, beautiful, amazing act of great beauty. I am glad they did so well. I am shocked that it was such a squeaker.

Big Barry should never have gone to Las Vegas. While Howard scolds Howie for championing this mess, I hope he reserves a moment to realize he had the power to stop it early on and chose not to do so. This argument was childish, unprofessional, and unnecessary.

Tom Cotter is a poor man’s George Carlin, but you know what? Carlin is dead, I miss him, and Tom’s got a great act. I am glad he’s moving on.

I enjoyed Ben Blaque. I am sorry he did not get any farther, but not really surprised. I am glad he did not kill his assistant.

Tim Hockenberry. Joe Cocker soundalike. Sob story. Front-runner. Well, he sings better than Kevin Skinner, I guess. He is certainly one of the best singing acts on the show, but I really hope a different kind of performance wins this time.
    Check out my recaps of Dr. Who and other TV shows at http://recappersdelight.blogspot.com/

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

The stories always win out. This show is called America's Got Talent, not America's Got Sob Stories or anything. But clearly nobody realizes that.

It's as if people tune in each year just to find some guy they can cry about and waste their entire nights giving pity votes to.

My favorite act in this whole competition won't win and Turf will probably beat them, which is completely and utterly nauseating.

Well, the auditions and Vegas Week were good while they lasted. Now everything is ruined again, like always.
    sunshine3331 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by abrahammy View Post
    I have to say this was a very underwhelming week. Thereís a whole recap at this blog, but here are the most pertinent observations:

LionDanceMe is a beautiful act to watch, and I can really appreciate the difficulty of what they do. I understand that what they do does not have enough variety to work for this kind of show, but I did not like the judgeís suggestions. To add martial arts or lose the costumes is to take away from the cultural integrity of the show.
    The only thing they can really do is change to the dragons (which are three people or more) but even there that particular style would be boring long term if it's just the poles. That said - there are some traditional lion dances and stories that would work as well in the mix.

The only problem I see is that unfortunately a lot of times the lion and dragon heads are similar (they have red lions too - so that isn't a difference), so the judges would have to count feet to realize they're different.

And given that Howie can't tell the difference between mouth blowing a ping pong ball and multiple ball bounce juggling - I don't have much hopes they can count.

Turf disturbs me. Heís graceful and fluid, but I donít really enjoy watching him do stunts that appear to be both grotesque and painful. His poverty is not enough reason for me to be a fan.
    Sums is up for me. I like the brothers that advanced last week because it's a pop and lock/animator style, but it's fluid enough to be graceful, beautiful and variable.

The All Ways are annoying posers and I am glad they are gone.
    Yeah - I feel that the bands they've used for a certain commercial are much better (I personally like the commercial band - but in this contest they'd be seen as amateur).

I actually enjoyed Hawley Magic, because I did not know how to do the trick. I am OK with cheesy flourishes; I think all magic acts are kind of cheesy, really. Yes, they are performing illusions, but the illusions are by definition contrived. Itís still fun.
    I've seen a better one on "That's Incredible" (dates me yes), but it was by far better than last week's fiasco (though admittedly better than Big Barry there).

The Lisa Clark Dancers were really cute and fun. They have peaked, but I hope they get more gigs as a result of being on TV. Itís a cute kidís dance troupe.
    They've peaked for this show, but I think as they get better at dancing we may see them have skills that will later on make the judges say "We knew them when" (though with the way the judges critiqued them - mentioning Turf was going to advance over them - I hope they would blow them off).

Aurora Light Painters - I am deeply disappointed at how childish, silly, and small they ended up being on the big stage. They came across as a show that is only for children, and parts of it really were kind of boring. There was no build-up, and the payoff was lame. Howard was right. They needed a story. What a let-down.
    I got the story, but admittedly I'm a big child-like. Personally I think the judges didn't want this one to go on but the producers said they were going through - so a subpar performance was going to get reamed. I think they should get a wildcard spot because I DO think they can do better and they know it.

They haven't - however - peaked like the judges said.

I am not sure what the judges heard with Danielle Stallings. I heard a lot of really bad notes, when she wasnít drowned out by the sound mixing. I am surprised she did this well. Sheís very good for fourteen, but sheís not ready for this stage yet.
    I agree - feel for her, but it wasn't good enough to win on judges choice.

Donovan and Rebecca have a fluid, beautiful, amazing act of great beauty. I am glad they did so well. I am shocked that it was such a squeaker.
    Me too, and You'd seen - before it would be deleted and me banned from NBC's site - a rant unlike most I do here if they lost out to Danielle because there was NO WAY though shouldn't have advanced. It'd been tantamount to Charles Peachock last year.

Big Barry should never have gone to Las Vegas. While Howard scolds Howie for championing this mess, I hope he reserves a moment to realize he had the power to stop it early on and chose not to do so. This argument was childish, unprofessional, and unnecessary.
    I agree - and yet they also promote sob stories and tell us how to vote.

Tom Cotter is a poor manís George Carlin, but you know what? Carlin is dead, I miss him, and Tomís got a great act. I am glad heís moving on.
    I'm glad because he's a comedian and therefore variety - prefer him over Hockenberry and Turf.

I enjoyed Ben Blaque. I am sorry he did not get any farther, but not really surprised. I am glad he did not kill his assistant.
    There isn't much more he can do in order to meet the judges' demands for new stuff - blacklight was the only way I can see now.

Tim Hockenberry. Joe Cocker soundalike. Sob story. Front-runner. Well, he sings better than Kevin Skinner, I guess. He is certainly one of the best singing acts on the show, but I really hope a different kind of performance wins this time.
    I don't want a singer - period, and he annoys me as much as Tim Poe.

In fact - if it comes down to these two as the final two for the prize, I'd rather the money go to Turf.

Great critiques, everybody! Here's my take, and remember I'm in somewhat unique position, since I missed Vegas week due to being on vacation. All I have to go by is an act's audition and this week's performance.

Tim--I didn't even remember his audition, so I just went by this week. Blah. Nice voice, but what was that song? Did he make that up himself? Because it just sounded lame. I didn't necessarily mind his advancing--but then, I don't know his sob story, I'm just going by his voice.

Turf--Yuk. Yuk. Yuk. Some people like contortionist acts, I hate them. As somebody here said, the staging was more interesting than his actual contorting. And I agree that it was a crime that he was put through over some other acts.

What was that segment with Howie in a wig all about? That bit is why I DVR shows like this. (That, and the singer who came next. Yawn. )

LCD--I agreed with Howie about them--and I never thought I'd agree with Howie! The whole time they danced, I just had this nagging feeling that something was wrong, and then Howie nailed it. They were good, but the act itself was just cute, not wow. They have potential, though, so I wouldn't necessarily mind if they were brought back.

All Ways--they were cute, but then I'm an 80's kid, so I like big-hair bands. Overall, though, they were mediocre so glad they were cut.

ALP--I agree with the person here who said it was silly and childish. The whole time they were performing, I was thinking, "This phenomenally talented group is showing me a grown woman in her pajamas with monsters? Okaaayyyy. This a complete waste of my time and their talent." However, since they are talented, I won't mind if they get the wildcard.

Big Barry--speaking of complete waste of time, what the Sam Hill was this "big hot mess" (to quote Simon Cowell)? Why in the heck was he allowed to get past the audition stage? And I totally agreed with Howard's rant. It's nauseating that more talented acts were eliminated in favor of this.

Overall, I wasn't surprised that one of these four made it. And I wasn't particularly surprised that Sharon didn't know who Flo Jo was, since Sharon is British. My husband is British and he can't identify any American athlete except Tony Romo, QB of my beloved Cowboys. Same goes the other way. While we were in England, I saw numerous "Support Team GB" ads for the Olympics, but I couldn't tell you the name of any of their athletes.

Tim the Comedian--I liked his act in his audition, but this week he just fell flat. It just seemed ordinary, not inspired, like your uncle trying to make jokes at the family reunion. However, since I did love his audition I'm happy he made it through. I also agree that he's one of the few acts that would really have a shot in Vegas.

Lion Dancers--I really have mixed feelings about them. I liked their act, but the judges said they had a nasty fall in Vegas. Didn't they also fall in their audition? Are they ready for Vegas, then? OTOH, they're talented, they can mix it up a little in their act, and it would sure beat having another singer in the finals.

Magicians--the costumes and staging were cool, but that was about it. The trick was just blah. Not unhappy that they went.

Intermission

Three words. This...group...lost? Seriously?????? This group lost their season? (I'm assuming so since Nick didn't intro them as "Season X Winners" but as simply "a big hit".) This group lost to a singer? I just literally cannot believe it. These people are so phenomenally talented. I would easily pay money to watch a show of theirs. Somebody mentioned The Blue Men and Stomp earlier. I would put Traces in the same league, and the fact that they lost to some singer is just a travesty. I REALLY hope they are doing well despite their loss, because Lord knows they deserve it.

Ben Blaque--shame he went out, because I thought he was incredibly sexy. I can understand, though, since there's not much more you can do with his act.

Nick mentioned something about D & R and Danielle l being 4th and 5th in terms of the voting. That was another outrage to me. D & R were easily my favorite act of this week, and, along with Tim the Comedian, the only two acts this week that I think deserve a Vegas show. I am SO glad that D & R were voted through, because I would have stopped watching if they hadn't been. Danielle, sweety, you're a nice girl. However, I'm sure Simon Cowell is just waiting for you over at The X-Factor.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    ALP--I agree with the person here who said it was silly and childish. The whole time they were performing, I was thinking, "This phenomenally talented group is showing me a grown woman in her pajamas with monsters? Okaaayyyy. This a complete waste of my time and their talent." However, since they are talented, I won't mind if they get the wildcard.
    I don't think it was much of a waste of time and talent as it was pressure to do something different. The PJ bit with her moving around and the box were new and I don't fault them for trying something new.

The problem is IMHO that sometimes these judges demand something new and different every single week - not understanding a bit of what these performers endure to get the acts (as two of the judges are basically commentators and one is a comedian), and in the process that leads to mistakes like this.

This though IMHO wasn't the biggest screwup - that will always be the Russian bar of last season totally blowing off the bar and doing the upside piano thing.

[Traces?]

Three words. This...group...lost? Seriously?????? This group lost their season? (I'm assuming so since Nick didn't intro them as "Season X Winners" but as simply "a big hit".) This group lost to a singer? I just literally cannot believe it. These people are so phenomenally talented. I would easily pay money to watch a show of theirs. Somebody mentioned The Blue Men and Stomp earlier. I would put Traces in the same league, and the fact that they lost to some singer is just a travesty. I REALLY hope they are doing well despite their loss, because Lord knows they deserve it.
    Apparently Traces does have a show - not large scale but you have to start somewhere.

I think last year though she lifted one of the guys too, but not 100 percent sure. They are breathtaking though, and I could get about half the sports they were representing.

Nick mentioned something about D & R and Danielle l being 4th and 5th in terms of the voting. That was another outrage to me. D & R were easily my favorite act of this week, and, along with Tim the Comedian, the only two acts this week that I think deserve a Vegas show. I am SO glad that D & R were voted through, because I would have stopped watching if they hadn't been. Danielle, sweety, you're a nice girl. However, I'm sure Simon Cowell is just waiting for you over at The X-Factor.
    I think it says enough that the only one who still has a Vegas act - many years after his win, is Terri Fator, the VENTRILOQUIST. Sure he sings with his characters sometimes; however, it's different and people will see a show, not a concert.

I've never been to Vegas, but honestly - I'd go to a show first over a concert.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast