+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent 12 (Summer 2017) - News & Speculation

America's Got Talent 12 (Summer 2017) - News & Speculation

Nick Cannon quits America's Got Talent

Other articles go into more detail with some of the NSFW jokes but this one looks clean...

Nick Cannon Says He’s Leaving ‘America’s Got Talent’ After Threats Of Firing Over Racial Joke

by Denise Petski
    February 13, 2017 7:20am

Nick Cannon says he’s leaving as host of NBC’s America’s Got Talent after he learned network execs were considering firing him over a racial joke he told in his Showtime comedy special. Stand Up, Don’t Shoot, described as a stand-up special in which Cannon takes on race and other topics, premiered Friday on Showtime.

“After days of deliberating over some extremely disappointing news that I was being threatened with termination by Executives because of a comedy special that was only intended to bring communities closer together, I was to be punished for a joke,” he writes on Instagram and Facebook. “This has weighed heavy on my spirit. It was brought to my attention by my “team” that NBC believed that I was in breach of contract because I had disparaged their brand. In my defense, I would ask how so? Or is this just another way to silence and control an outspoken voice who often battles the establishment.”

What Cannon is referring to is a standard clause in most employment contracts that does not allow an employee to disparage the company they work for. He goes on to say,” I find myself in a dark place having to make a decision that I wish I didn’t have to, but as a man, an artist, and a voice for my community I will not be silenced, controlled or treated like a piece of property. There is no amount of money worth my dignity or my integrity. I have loved hosting AMERICAS GOT TALENT for the last 8 seasons, watching talented, brave, and courageous Americans accomplish their dreams in front of millions has been nothing but a joy, and everyone has been a pleasure to work with but my soul won’t allow me to be in business with corporations that attempt to frown on freedom of speech, censor artists, and question cultural choices.”

Deadline has reached out to NBC for comment.
    His full Facebook post can be found here.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 03-12-2017 at 09:02 PM.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Re: Nick Cannon quits America's Got Talent

Whatever. He wishes free speech then he faces the consequences with his contract to the show...his million dollar baby.

FORT Fogey

Seems to me that he's willingly embracing those consequences in favor of free speech.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    Seems to me that he's willingly embracing those consequences in favor of free speech.
    Well now he can 'rattle' on. His contract for all that $$$ the show brought to him is...over.

He made a pile of money after his split from Mariah and he made a ton of money on America's Got Talent.

Now he can say whatever he wants and those that want to hear it can tune in.

FORT Fogey

He's reached that fortunate place in life that money doesn't have to drive his choices. He's earned that success and he's benefitting from it.
    mika06 likes this.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

I wish him well. I like him
    dagwood likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Regular

I did not see the whole special but saw a few excerpts from it and I wondered if NBC was going to be upset about it. Now I know.

I think it is ridiculous in this day and age for them to take that attitude. And I admire him for standing up and doing what he feels is right.
    AcookerTV likes this.

Re: America's Got Talent 12 (Summer 2017) - News & Speculation

What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

Wow...that is interesting. Can't say that I can really see her doing that job. While she did introduce and talk to the girls on ANTM, her job was to be the boss and the person the girls had to impress since she was the sole judge ....really. Now, her job is totally different.

What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast