+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 5/11 Finale Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by CupidGuest View Post
    OMG I forgot it was on tonight! No more show after this??
    I recorded last night's show, actually I still haven't watched last week's! According to the official site, next week is The Finale Results Show when the winner will be revealed. How is ABC going to make this an hour long?

I was prepared to vote for the car seat, but last night swayed me to Word Ace. IMHO, it is the most marketable, has the best commercial and he had done the most to advance his original idea.

I'm a bit of a geek and admire the engineering in both the bike and car seat. I sure hope the kid gets and engineering scholarship offer out of this... that would be much better for him in the long run than getting the cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Vonna View Post
    but my favorite is the word game, the car seat still has too much engineering and testing to be alloted one million dollars....

I thought that's what the million dollars was for - to develop the product more. Am I wrong?

I gotta go with the carseat. It needs more development but I think he's on to something.

I don't think the inventions should be voted on dependent upon the inventor's sob story or their commercial. What has invention got to do with advertising? How many inventors get involved in that?

That said, Yanoush's commercial was the best and he was absolutely right not to go with those lousy ad agency ideas. And what was swith those ad agencies? Did the producers only strike deals with the worst of the worst?
    What?! Am I still here?

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by wendiness View Post
    I
    And what was swith those ad agencies? Did the producers only strike deals with the worst of the worst?
    i know. maybe they were cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by wendiness View Post
    I don't think the inventions should be voted on dependent upon the inventor's sob story or their commercial. What has invention got to do with advertising? How many inventors get involved in that?
    I thought that at first until they reminded us over and over again that it's called American Inventor not American Invention. The show's premise is that it's to be about the inventor. Seems crazy I know, but that's what I voted for, my favorite inventor.

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    I thought that at first until they reminded us over and over again that it's called American Inventor not American Invention. The show's premise is that it's to be about the inventor. Seems crazy I know, but that's what I voted for, my favorite inventor.
    aaaaaaaaaaaah see I missed that very very crucial element of the show!

Ok, well that makes my decision easier.

The best INNOVATION as far as helping mankind is the car seat invention. I feel for the INVENTOR b/c he lost his child but he is an engineer and so of course he could come up with something of that caliber. His invention will be picked up...and may possibly become a requirement by law...some investor would make sure this seat gets the money. Hell, if he created a corporation and offered stock to the public I'd buy as many shares as I could afford!!!! That chair will sell!!!! If it is really safe to babies. I just worry about shaken brain syndrome from spinning around so fast...too many g forces on the brain.

The football vest truly is the ONLY invention. It hasn't beeen done before and he actually used his device well before he heard of the show. He is truly needy and deserving of a win.

The bike is a COOL INNOVATION for youngins. This kid is young and will have many opportunities to shine and so I could live without him winning. He is just getting started and is smart as a whip and he will do fine.

The word game....I liike his passion but I still don't get the game. THis is not an INVENTION im. Plus, I just don't get it. Yes, it helps kids learn but you could do that with flash cards. So.... I would like it if the game could be programmed to play many different types of games besides word ace. You know removable cartridges...but then it would just be a quizbox.

I guess I would pick the football guy. as the best INVENTOR.

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots View Post
    So far I like the word game commercial the best.
    the word game is probably the only commercial that i can actually see as a commercial. It was really well done and the invention was advertised very well. I hope he wins.

FORT Fogey
    The car seat is a difficult one. It is just a prototype, as we were told. It has not been tested, its size is huge and cost over the top. Perhaps someday a better and safer car seat will be built but do we know this is it? We have no idea until it is crash tested.

The bike. I think the novelity will wear off after owning it a week. I would want my own bike and I think most kids would too.

The game is not appealing, at least from the information in the commercial.

Football catching device. Now here is a good invention. I am rooting for this one to win.

If I were to go on the inventor only, I would still choose the football thing. I like this man.

None of the commercials were good at all.
    Last edited by Dogbat; 05-13-2006 at 02:37 PM.

I always come to the board because of American Idol , never noticed this , untill now.

Anyway , i think people will feel pressured to vote for the baby seat , not even knowing if it ever can be turned into something marketable.
    As everyone has noticed , it is huge ( in size ).
    Does that mean you need a giant SUV to protect your kid ?
    Having the seat rotate is the only thing that keeps this invention alive. This new approach.
    But it needs a complete redesign and probably years of work to figure out if it is something usefull and practical at all.

The wordgame could be fairly successfull , but far from being in every household.
    There are too many games and other distractions available for this product to make such an impact.
    When i see this product i`m thinking "Mattel and the 80`s".
    The 80`s had a lot of those electronic games.
    The commercial was good ( under the circumstances ).
    I would change the packaging , it looks old and boring.

The guy with the football device seems to be onto something too.
    Not that I could tell , to qoute Nathan Lane "I`m not a Sportsman".
    This device might be a hit in every Football Team , for training and such.
    But i don`t really see the average Joe picking it up.

And then the spanish kid with the bike.
    I see the bike like the Mini Scooter that was hit like two years ago ( when every hip person just had to roll with it through the street ).
    But there is the fact that one had to buy an extra bike just for this purpose.
    The commercial was just ok.
    My idea for a commercial ;
    As backround music "Harry Bellafonte - Jump In the Line".
    Then i would let the bike just appear out of nowhere in different locations.
    First in a spanish neighborhood ( to show the roots ) , and then in ritzy hip places like Wallstreet and Beverly Hills.
    People would just grab it and have fun with it.
    It would be a hoot.

All in all i thought the concepts for all the commercials were terrible.
    This must have been the cheapest agency they could find.
    One that usually does commercials for the local tv or furniture stores.

And the inventions , it is hard to belive that those are the best out of thousands.

These days inventions are made on such a high level.
    For example if Mercedes would come up with a paintjob that mends itself after some lowlife keyed your car.
    That is the kind of invention scientists work on for years , down to molecular structures and tests in space.
    How can one person on it`s own compete with that and come up with more then a gadget ?

It is hard but not impossible.
    And for that reason i have just seen too much stuff on the show that was barely good enough for the Homeshopping Channel.

I would tune in for a second season , they need to make adjustments though.
    For one , all the reruns. Over and over the same people , the same stuff.
    It`s not a two hour special , it`s a weekly rerun. Stop it.
    Thousands of inventors , they must have insane amounts of footage to choose from.
    But those lazy editors just take the same stuff and show it every week , to the point where it becomes ridiculous.
    That is not the way to get ratings.
    And then , change the "Gladiator Music" it`s pathetic.
    The importance of "the American Invention" comes through the invention , not through pompous music.

Based on the inventions , i wouldn`t know who to pick as the winner.
    For me the Baby Seat is too far away from being usefull.
    If you don`t have a giant car , if you have twins and maybe an older one......
    Too many obstacles.

I would give the Million to the spanish kid cause he seems like a nice guy.

A decision based on the inventions ? I have no idea.
    There is nothing that really blows me away.

Word Ace had the best commercial by far, but there are already a million similar games out there.

The bike is a novelty but I don't really see people going out to buy it unless as Peter said, it gets made into an add-on.

The football vest has the most practical use right now.

The car seat is potentially the most useful by far but it is just a prototype and would need to undergo a lot of testing before it could be sold. That is also why I hope it wins because he could make the most use out of the million dollars.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast