+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Newbie
    Hi everyone,
    Well here we are at the end of "the journey" (buzz) and our "passion" (buzz)
    is called into question again. Who are you guys going to vote for?

First off are you all even going to vote?

I can't seem to shake this bad feeling of having been on the show, making it to the final 24 and having nothing to show for it. Oh, well, I'll just have to get over it.

I wish them all the best of luck and happiness with their new found financial freedom and celebrity.

I'm liking the bike. Great idea, better execution. Do I want a 19 year old to suddenly have $1mil? No.

FORT Newbie
    Yeah the seat has no chance of any commercial success even if they could overcome all the obvious engineering issues because its just too darn big! The test showed the thing doing a complete revolution! That's ridiculous! The design doesn't make any effort to decelerate or absorb the force of impact. Its just transfering the energy. Not good. A company patented a safety seat over 20 yrs ago that moved just 2 inches in a front collission to help absorb impact forces and transfer the energy into the passenger's pelvis/torso where the impact could be more safely absorbed. Tests proved that the invention would reduce injury. It could even have been retrofitted as it was just a modification to the seat's tracks and locking mechanisms but the auto industry never adopted it.

Here's an explaination of how brain injury occurs in car crashes; having been unfortunately familiar with this already, I immediately understood why the whirling car seat would be better for a baby. As for the seat being too big, I think it could easily be made to fit in a minivan or SUV with removeable seats, which seem to be the family vehicles of choice anyway.

TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY SURVIVAL GUIDE
    By Dr. Glen Johnson, Clinical Neuropsychologist
    Clinical Director of the Neuro-Recovery Head Injury Progr

There is also an "odd" thing that the brain goes through during a car accident. The brain, which is very soft, is thrown against the front part of the skull, which is very hard, and bruising can happen. But the injury process is not over. The brain, and rest of the body, fly backward. This bouncing of the brain first against the front of the skull and then against the back of the skull, can produce bruises in different parts of the brain. Thus people can have a bruise not only where their foreheads hit the steering wheel, but other areas of the brain as well. Doctors call this a "contra coup" injury.

TEARING

At some point in time, we've all played with the food "Jell-O". If you put a thin cut in a square of Jell-O with a knife and let it go, the Jell-O will come back to shape if you jiggle it. The Jell-O will look perfectly good up until the time you go to lift it up, and there will be the slice. The brain has a consistency slightly firmer than Jell-O, but the same effect applies. In the case of the car accident, the brain is thrown forward, then bounced backward (remember those car commercials where the crash dummy flies forward, then comes flying backward). In this forward/backward motion, the brain can be torn. The brain can also be torn by the effects of "energy". If you take a block of ice and hit it with a hammer (assuming you don't completely shatter the ice), you will see little cracks in the ice. Energy from the hammer has been transferred to the ice, producing the web-like cracks. Tearing in the brain is very serious. Tearing in the brain "cuts" the wires that make the brain work.

am
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

FORT Fogey
    I missed both hours and there is not enough info here to get a feel for how it went.

So the bike won a slot in F4? What did they say to the car seat man for why his invention was declined?

And I gather we vote for the winner, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat View Post
    I missed both hours and there is not enough info here to get a feel for how it went.

So the bike won a slot in F4? What did they say to the car seat man for why his invention was declined?

And I gather we vote for the winner, yes?
    The bike won the final 4 slot a couple of weeks ago.

Doug chose the car seat it hasn't been declined.

The final 4 (word game, bike, car seat, and football thing) will make 30 second commercials to show us and then we get to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    That said, he's got exactly the kind of invention America is most likely to vote for. I don't see anyone else winning next week but him.
    It seems the original thought was whatever people vote for is the one they're most likely to buy. But I'd guess here there will be a lot of people not saying they WOULD buy it but that they (or more likely others) SHOULD buy it.

It seems totally impractical to me. And how much will it cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Stump View Post
    It seems the original thought was whatever people vote for is the one they're most likely to buy. But I'd guess here there will be a lot of people not saying they WOULD buy it but that they (or more likely others) SHOULD buy it.

It seems totally impractical to me. And how much will it cost?
    Given that this is a Reality show, and we all know people vote based on emotions, not logic, I truly believe that the "most touching" story will almost definitely win. People aren't obligated to lay down a credit card order for the product to vote, ergo they won't really use that kind of determinant.

Basically, they will convince themselves that one person "deserves" the win more than the others and vote accordingly... any possible thoughts about a potential purchase in a completely different compartment of the consciousness at the time.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Newbie
    I think the car seat will definitely win in the end. I wonder if there is any private investor out there who would take one of these inventions and just put it to the market themselves. It's good that these people can get the word out on their invention.

Quote Originally Posted by pokernut951 View Post
    I think the car seat will definitely win in the end. I wonder if there is any private investor out there who would take one of these inventions and just put it to the market themselves. It's good that these people can get the word out on their invention.
    According to Pattycacke the solar cooler has received interest from private investors. I'd assume the one's that made it to the final 12 would receive plenty of interested parties.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast