+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 4/20 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Shovel dude doesn't make it, and leaves with a weird rhyme.

So the receiver training pole made it? Hmm...
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I think the shovel is pretty much done. The judges probably didn't want to sink another million into developing something that doesn't have much room for development. He can now go out and pitch his idea somewhere else.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Shovel dude doesn't make it, and leaves with a weird rhyme.
    Maybe it's a Chino thing? I mean except for fictional Chinoites like that kid of The OC.

Ew. Celine Dion. Kill me now.
    I don't know about that decision on who won. I think there is a bigger market for the Sackmaster than the football thing.
    The fact that the inventor is a tool doesn't change the fact that his err... tool is better. But he just needs to be bought out by someone. As a businessman he'd be a disaster.

Time for more sob stuff. 'Cause when Simon thinks of America, that's what HE thinks about.

Next week that annoying redhead acts like she's a mentor.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Oh, no. Mary Lou's turn next week....break out the tissue.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

FORT Newbie

ramblings of a inventive mind

any big surprises? i think i'm kinda disappointed in how the show is ending up. none of the final 12, or now 10 is extremely innovative and life changing. They are mostly everyday gadgets that are useful in their own rights, but not million dollar ideas. There aren't too many new inventions out there that can be brought to the masses and appreciated by everyone, most are geared to specific people, uses, or fields. The sand shovel is genius, but it has a specific use.

Hating finales since 2006 finalefan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott View Post
    FEMA would probably buy a few thousand of those one-man shovels.
    Yes, they probably would.

And then they'd put them all in a warehouse in the Mojave desert.

I would have had a very hard time deciding between the football guy and the shovel guy, because I think both products are really practical and people would use them.

In a flooding disaster, manpower and time are precious commodities, and I think the Shovelmaster or whatever he ended up calling it really DID seem to work, and I could totally see the product being stocked in stores in flood-prone areas and selling pretty well.

But the football guy was so likeable, and his product, too, I think would sell. Every high school in America -- well, almost every high school -- has a football team and (unfortunately for bandies and drama kids and the uhhhhh track team, etc.) the football team is where lots of schools spend the bulk of their student activities money (or as much as Title IX lets them get away with). And, when you talk about collegiate-level sports, man, for a lot of colleges football is BIG MONEY (you can pay as much or more for a seat at a Big Ten game as you would for a rock concert) and I think a lot of universities would purchase quantities of the product if they could be convinced that it would actually help in training their receivers.

Ultimately, though, I thought that the Shovel thing was actually the more important invention. And I was sorry to see that guy cut -- but I hope that somebody, an investor or something, will help the guy run with the project and get it into production even without American Inventor's help.

FORT Fogey
    This format is odd. Had the sand shovel been paired with the Niya doll and unbrella it would have won. The rule they have made to choose only one from each group of 4 is totally dependant on who you are up against. It seems clear they have already chosen the winners and are just playing it out in a format to suit their decisions.

Seeing all of them before making the decision is the only way that makes sense. Do this and skip the sob stories and you have a good show.

Shovel-guy dug his own grave, so to speak. $50,000 and he comes in with a new suit and a strap that looks like it was fashioned from a dog leash at the last minute?

I can see his objections to "improving the design" as it pretty much was what it was, although they may have found a way to make it retractable or something. Still, he was arrogant and dismissive. Not good. He flipped when it was suggested it may have other uses. Stupid. If somebody can find another way to make the product useful, that's a bonus! It could be made in a variety of sizes and used for scooping and bagging all sorts of things. Why is he so stubborn? Just look at all those bulk food stores . . . they would buy these things by the dozens (if they were small). I'm sure, however, that somebody will get behind this guy and bring it to market.

Inbrella . . . yeah, I would buy one if they could make it more compact. I hate fighting with the umbrella when getting into the car.

Training thing . . . I'm not into sports but I think he's got something there. I wish we didn't know the details of his life (bankruptcy, etc.) as I think it's influencing me and the winner should be based on merit not neediness. I did like this guy's willingness to listen and take advice, however.

I feel sorry for whatever threesome get Doug as a mentor. Of course, he'll be an expert on every one.
    What?! Am I still here?

FORT Fogey
    The Sand Master guy did screw himself. Now that you pointed it out, I can see a smaller version in wide use in stores that carry bulk grains, nuts and snacks.

FORT Fogey
    I bet the producers were dying over the sand master guy. There was SO much potential for his product, but his ego absolutely killed him. He's really the only one who got good feedback from the test group, and rather than being inspired by it, he was offended by it. It's a shame they couldn't take the woman who came up with the inbrella, and hand the sand master invention over to her. With her attitude and that idea, they'd have an instant winner.

Mr Sand Master can pat himself on the back and boost his own ego all he wants. He does have a fantastic idea and design. But he's had it for 20 years, and where is he? Obviously, he doesn't have what it takes to produce, market and sell it, and is too arrogant to recognize the talent of those who do. So instead of telling his grandkids he invented a shovel that saved lives, he can tell his grandkids that he invented a shovel that never went anywhere but his garage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast