+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "American Inventor" Ratings

"American Inventor" Ratings

"American Inventor" got off to a great start on Thursday night. Variety.com is reporting that the show had 14.2 million viewers last night in its two hour premiere. It gave ABC its highest 18-49 performance in the time period since November 2000.

I was wondering how the show's ratings would be since USA already had their invention reality show "Made In The USA", and its ratings were low. Simon Cowell being behind this probably had a lot to do with its high ratings.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...3&cs=1&s=h&p=0

If the next show has as many commercials as the first show, I won't be watching it. The commercial breaks were absurd and even more frequent than in AI.
    You are who you are...and I wouldn't want to change a thing...- Madonna

Quote Originally Posted by madonniac View Post
    If the next show has as many commercials as the first show, I won't be watching it. The commercial breaks were absurd and even more frequent than in AI.
    I am glad the ratings were good as it was definitely very entertaining, but I agree with you on the commercials, madonniac. They showed way too many.

FORT Fogey
    I can't see this show lasting--I was incredibly bored by the judges, thought most of the inventions were pretty assinine without much potential, got sick of the "heart strings" moments and was aggravated by the sheer number of commercials. This idea really had potential, but the producers blew it.

The show has a high level of what I call the "Cheesy Sob Story Factor". AI is well known for the manipulative tearjerker bios of people, but this show takes it a step further and I think the more serious they seem to be about it the more ridiculous it looks. I can't think of anything else except that they are secretly laughing at these people.

Some of the tearjerker montages involved contestants standing against a white background, with a white light shining behind them, accompanied by something that sounded suspiciously like organ music, most often encountered in churches, all while the contestant poured his/her heart out about their particular little sob story. I thought it was hilarious and if this show was on say, Comedy Central, it would be termed a satire.

In short, I like this show and I hope it stays around for a while because, as everyone in the show thread can attest, it was a damn funny show to watch. I'm hoping for more crazy inventor types!
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

My opinion - hated the tears and heart tugging personal journeys. Save it for the makeover shows. But, overall it was entertaining and some of the "inventors" were hilarious. Can't stand the judge who is an inventor. He seems to favor the pretty women and vote no on the stuff that could really sell.

I think this show will be better as a one hour deal. The two hour show just had too much filler, not enough inventions!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Looks like tonight's show will be more auditions. Only an hour this time, however...

Thursday, March 23 at 9/8c
    "Episode102"

The nationwide search for America's next big invention continues with open casting calls in San Francisco and Chicago. Viewers will see inventors pitch their ideas and products to our panel of expert judges to see if their dreams will be realized. Tension mounts as the judges engage in a heated argument over who should continue to the next level.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I just found it way... stupid? I dunno. Did nothing for me, I tuned out 1/4 way through it. Maybe I'll give it a try tonight, but with less drinking. Might help.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    I think this show will be better as a one hour deal. The two hour show just had too much filler, not enough inventions!
    Unfortunately it hasn't improved now that it's an hour long. It's just too slow.

Next week I'll just record so I can fast forward to the inventions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast