+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mary Lou Quinlan - Judge

Mary Lou Quinlan - Judge

Dubbed "the Oprah" of marketing by The Wall Street Journal, Mary Lou Quinlan is one of the most accomplished women in the marketing and communications industry. She is a renowned consumer strategist and the founder and CEO of Just Ask a Woman, a branding agency she founded in 1999, now the premier women's marketing company in the U.S. Her incredibly innovative and successful 'Talk-TV' research technique has transformed the way companies conduct market research -- by using high-energy, talk show-like environments where women aren't made to feel like guinea pigs. Quinlan's cutting edge-approach brings fun to the process and has produced remarkable and inspired results. In the last several years she has advised numerous big players in the consumer and retail industries, such as Clairol, Kellogg's Special K, Tums, Estee Lauder, Wal-Mart, Bloomingdales, KFC, Johnson & Johnson and Yahoo!.

Quinlan is also a successful author: Her bestselling marketing book, Just Ask a Woman: Cracking the Code of What Women Want and How They Buy, is considered ground-breaking within the industry. And the newly released Time Off for Good Behavior: How Hardworking Women Can Take a Break and Change Their Lives, has recently been featured in The New York Times, USA Today, PEOPLE, and on The CBS Early Show. She is a highly sought-after public speaker and a monthly columnist for MORE Magazine.

Quinlan was formerly CEO of NW Ayer, a major branding/advertising agency, where she worked with clients including Procter & Gamble, General Motors and Continental Airlines. She has also held management positions such as director of Advertising at Avon, PR director for her alma mater, Saint Josephs' University, and she is a member of the board of directors of 1-800-FLOWERS.com.

Quinlan lives in New York City with her husband, Joe, and hails from Philadelphia, PA.

I was rather surprised by how emotional she was.
    I don't think you have to be a hard-nosed bitch to thrive as a woman in business, but it did surprise me to see her eyes fill with tears as often as they did.

I liked her though and pretty much agreed with her choices of who to advance to the next round.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff View Post
    I was rather surprised by how emotional she was.
    I don't think you have to be a hard-nosed bitch to thrive as a woman in business, but it did surprise me to see her eyes fill with tears as often as they did.
    She was cold enough when turning down that woman with the video presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Gambler View Post

Agreed. Hope someone drops a house on her.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Gambler View Post
    I agreed with that decision personally.
    I didn't feel as though the woman had invented anything as such, even though it was an excellent idea.
    The woman admitted she was using the show for PR and the judges had said anyone doing that should not be allowed through.
    I was pleased she didn't cave simply because of the type of product and the fact it was designed to help children.
    Also, the product looked very professional and finished so I don't know how much of a change would have occured had she recieved funds from the show.
    I think they want to see ideas develop with their injection of funds and it seemed as though that woman pretty much had everything ready to hit the shelves.
    I really hope the woman is successful with her product though.
    The publicity from the show will likely help.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff View Post
    I agreed with that decision personally.
    I didn't feel as though the woman had invented anything as such, even though it was an excellent idea.
    The woman admitted she was using the show for PR and the judges had said anyone doing that should not be allowed through.
    I was pleased she didn't cave simply because of the type of product and the fact it was designed to help children.
    Also, the product looked very professional and finished so I don't know how much of a change would have occured had she recieved funds from the show.
    I think they want to see ideas develop with their injection of funds and it seemed as though that woman pretty much had everything ready to hit the shelves.
    I really hope the woman is successful with her product though.
    The publicity from the show will likely help.
    Me too. You made some good points.
    I think,imo, what upset people (okay, me)regarding Ann is this: when people hear someone say "your'e just here for the pr" it sounds like an assault on the purity of their intention, a judgement on their character.Yet, the woman she said this to was sincere, with a touching back story,and yes she said she could use the pr, but that wasn't the the only reason she was there . In fact, I would think everyone vying for a spot is there partly for publicity reasons. Was her video an invention? Not really. But I wouldn't exactly call an ashtray for peanut shells an invention either. And that got through- I mean the guy didn't even have a prototype to show them, just a pic on his computer! Seems like it's all subjective deciding what's an invention and what isn't.
    Sometimes it is better to be kind than it is to be right

She is too emotional for me. I prefer Peter Jones.
    Check out my avatar It's Chad Michael Murray!

FORT Newbie

Waste

I need to vent and found this place which was perfect for me. This Mary lou individual is way to emotional to be someone that is suppose to be some high power businesswomen. The show will need to replace her IMO for the show to go anywhere. But Im sure the show producers are trying to go for this emotional "sold my life for this dream" view. To me its just fake. Just like any other reality show out their. Mary lou is fake as it can get and the show made a serious mistake in allowing her in, but money talks. I can say some other things about this mary lou person but Im sure this post will get deleted if I did.

FORT Fanatic
    I thought she was absolutely great. Moreover, neither of the two best inventions I saw--the head thing for wig or helmet wearers and the toilet stall clip--would have gotten through without her strong support.

I'm glad she pushed for those two things to get through also, but she really does need to calm down a bit. She can get her point across without being so emotional.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast