+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree290Likes

Thread: AI 15: FINALE WEEK (Tues, Wed and Thurs)

Re: AI 15: FINALE WEEK (Tues, Wed and Thurs)

I so want Trent to win this. He has made me cry with the beauty of his voice and I like him a lot as a person as well.
    Either way, he has won my heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Helenmaco2 View Post
    I so want Trent to win this. He has made me cry with the beauty of his voice and I like him a lot as a person as well.
    Either way, he has won my heart!
    Same here. I voted by all the different methods, and for the last 3 or 4 weeks, I've voted for him only. La'Porsha is a super talented young lady and is a fitting winner as well. I just prefer Trent's style.

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

I really like Dalton, maybe in a few years he will sound better. I think he adds some flavour to his songs. I am all about Trent winning, I haven't been bothered to watch all season, I catch them on you tube. I did record it tonight, and just finished watching, Trent should win. I think LaP might squeak in the win
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Trent singing Chandelier gave me shivers---best song of the night without taking anything away from La Porsha because she sang very well too. But for me Trent for the win. I actually liked Dalton's song the best of the ones chosen for the winner, and I hope they let him record it. For whatever reason, La Porsha's voice just doesn't appeal to me as much as Trent's does. Either way, they are both winners and will probably get recording contracts. I'll be sad to not have Idol back next year, though I guess the door is open for it to return in perhaps a different format. TPTB should never have cut the show back so much this year, that's my biggest complaint. Looking back to yesterdays show, it is pretty amazing how it began, grew and became a real hit show. There are lots of reasons why the show has lost it's luster these last couple of years but I have enjoyed the ride. I started watching it second season and never stopped.
    Misty8723 and Cornholio like this.

I'm swinging from a Chandelier. Keith's comment that it was the best song Freddie Mercury never wrote cracked me up. I voted 4 ways...hope it works because La'Porsha is also amazing.

If you can't remember text and phone numbers...La'Porsha is 08 and Trent is 10.

Enter 21523 then the number in the text box. For phone - 1-866-436-57__ with their number as the last two digits.

From Tuesday's show I like that we discovered from the Producers that the "last season" was all about Fox and money. Idol people felt they couldn't put on the show in the same style with the money Fox was willing to pay.

I was happy to hear at the end of the broadcast that Idol may continue in "some" format to be determined. Who knows, it could become a web series or go straight to Netflix streaming. Anyway, we'll see.

The Finale on Thursday should be very, very good.

ETA: The Battle of Mississippi is going down! Amazing that all Final Three contestants came out of the Little Rock Auditions.

I don't know if any of you have noticed that Facebook now has Live Posting. I watched an interview with the top 3 dressed in their first song costumes before the show came on on the west coast. This is an interesting new trend, but, boy they can be lengthy. There was also one with Scotty McCreary who is appearing Thursday night.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 04-07-2016 at 03:00 AM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Ok so this will not be the popular opinion, but I was disappointed to see Dalton leave. I get that the other 2 are technically "better singers" with more of a vocal range. But, I think all across the country there are lots of people out there who can sing really, really well and sing in church, at open mics and karaoke etc. But I can't really picture either of their winning songs on the radio.

La Porsha and Trent are both excellent singers. To be honest, I don't personally enjoy the goaty sound of Trent's voice. But La Portia is a bad-ass, so strong and confident - I love how she calmly stares down the camera when she performs. <Not in a Constantine way LOL> She did better the first time she sang Diamond, but still incredible tonight. So down to those two, my votes go to La Porsha.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I see Dalton as more currently relevant and also striking mad connections with fans. Did you see how the audience really went crazy, especially the girls, for Dalton? I miss the days of Dial Idol, with these new voting techniques how do we really know who got the most votes? I find it really hard to believe that all the crazy teen/pre-teen girls didn't vote like mad for Dalton. Usually the winner has that demographic strongly in play.

Maybe I have a soft spot for him because he reminds me of the late 80s music I grew up with. His "winning song" had kind of a Modern English vibe to it. Anyway, I just had to throw my 2 cents in there to give Dalton some love. Hope Dalton pulls a Daughtry and has a great career despite not being in the final 2!
    Misty8723, AmyKay and Arielflies like this.

April 06, 2016: The Top Three

1. Trent Harmon. I have no idea who will win the last season of American Idol. And I’m not worried, concerned, or anxious about the not knowing. In my opinion, both Trent and La’Porsha are absolutely worthy of the title. Even though I think Mackenzie is the more likeable, I have always believed that Trent and La’Porsha were better singers. There’s really nothing between these two. They share the same regional bias (both from the state of Mississippi; the poorest state in America); both are working class adults (Idol voters tend to love working class adults); both are likeable but not insanely so; e.g. Kelly Clarkson; the socioeconomic bias (Idol voters love a good rags to riches story) seems to be a wash as both belong to the working class and neither is rich; nor is there a music genre bias here (Idol voters tend to love country singers; no surprise as country music is the most popular genre in America); there’s no talent advantage either as both are terrific and mature young singers. Although it is real in America, I do not believe there is a race bias present in Idol voters, most of whom are live-and-let-live Baby Boomers, so race should not be a factor. There’s also no “Sex and Candy) advantage (yes I stole the phrase from Marcy Playground's Sex and Candy) since Sex appeal and Eye Candy is not a major factor for either. It’s really funny when you think about it. One is Black, the other White, yet both are authentic old school gospel R&B singers; they cloak everything in an R&B vibe. They really are two peas in the same pod. I ranked Trent #1 for two reasons. 1) Even though the two are equally talented, I believe Trent won the night with his version of Sia’s Chandelier. This was not only the finest performance of Season Fifteen; it was one of the finest vocals ever on the Idol stage (Diamonds was also very good) 2) Male contestants generally enjoy a gender bias on this show; of the fourteen Idol winners, nine are male and five are female. This will help Trent. On a different subject, I want to thank Simon Fuller for picking one of my favorite old school, wrong-side-of-the-track, honest-to-god R&B ballads, If You Know Me By Now (Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes). I love this song. Trent did a decent job with it but it was a bit too stylized (a la Nat King Cole) for my taste. It is a classic gospel R&B lyric that demands muscle, melisma, and vocal calisthenics. The original song, Falling, was compromised by all the face pulls, body twitching and theatrics; very distracting. For me, Trent is at his best when he’s cool, calm, and collected. I would have awarded this title to La'Porsha as few as two weeks ago but Trent has mounted a very successful finishing campaign which caused me to change my mind. If forced to pick just one, I would award the title to Trent.
    2. La’Porsha Renae. I presented a thorough discussion and comparison of La’Porsha and Trent above. I could find only two factors that favor La’Porsha but neither is a major factor. 1) She’s a single mother. Many Idol voters were raised by single parents, are single parents, or have friends and family members who are single parents. Given that their talent, likeability, and regional biases are identical (these are major factors), the hardship associated with single mothers will certainly resonate with some voters. 2) Many Idol voters would like to close the gender gap to six female winners and nine male winners. Even though I ranked Trent #1 and think that he won the night, I would love to see a sixth female Idol winner too. So I would be very happy to see La'Porsha win the title. Overall, I liked the original song, Battles. The melody, that R&B vibe, stayed in my head as did the catchy hook. La’Porsha delivered an excellent, mature vocal. The lyric is well-meaning but not very clever. A House Is Not A Home has been done many times on this show and in my opinion, two were better than what was done here: both Tamyra Gray and Jacob Lusk nailed this song. La’Porsha found the heart of this lyric but changed the arrangement and melody so much that parts of it sounded nothing like the original. There are ways to fingerprint and create songs in your image without dismantling the melody. Sometimes, the original is better. This was not one of my favorite La’Porsha performances. I know that melisma is inherent to old school R&B but this thing was exhausted in melisma. I think her creation of Rhiana's Diamonds is better than the original. This deconstruction and arrangement was cleverly done and resulted in her best work on the Idol stage. This was yet another master class vocal; one of the finest performances of season fifteen. It was mesmerizing. Whether she wins or not, the state of Mississippi should be very proud of La'Porsha and Trent. They did you proud. They represented.
    3. Dalton Rapattoni. He wasn’t my favorite but he certainly earned my respect as a singer and as a man. He’s a fighter; tough as nails; and will not quit until his dreams are realized. He’s a good kid and I wish him the best. Good luck, Dalton.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 04-07-2016 at 04:33 AM.

Thank you, liedenfrost, for all your AI reviews.
    I'm hoping for a Trent win, although I will not be disappointed if LaPorsha takes it. Either way, the grand finale should be quite the event. Box of tissues at the ready.
    I hope Bowersox is there.
    Count your blessings!

I found it interesting that apparently LaPorsha didn't make it to Hollywood on her first audition. She said last night that she drove 28hrs to Providence to audition and that she would go to each subsequent city until she got through. She was featured in the Little Rock auditions, so it would seem she didn't make it through in Providence. I wonder how many other cities she went to before she got her Golden Ticket.

I've never understood how LaPorsha kept making it through round after round. She has talent, but there were others who did also in her style and better. She also gives off the attitude (to me) that she already has it in the bag. I've liked Trent since Hollywood, but Dalton is the one I really connected with. I'm glad I got to watch him as long as I did, and his is the only winning single I might have considered buying. I voted all the ways I could (except that fox app) for Trent last night, and I'll vote again once I get to work.
    AmyKay, sunshine3331 and Cornholio like this.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

+ Reply to Thread