+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: 3/31 AI 15: Top 4 **West Coast Spoilers...ahem...that's a laugh**

3/31 AI 15: Top 4 **West Coast Spoilers...ahem...that's a laugh**

Hometown visits shown for the Top 4 tonight.

Next week is the three night extravaganza starting on Tuesday with a Look Back on 15 seasons.

(Sorry I'm so late getting this thread started. Ahem. I forgot it was Thursday until just now.)
    Last edited by Arielflies; 04-01-2016 at 12:44 AM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: 3/31 AI 15: Top 4 **West Coast Spoilers...ahem...that's a laugh**

I'm watching and so far everybody has sung very well. I'm on Team Trent all the way.

Mackenzie's going home. And he gets an exit package. First time this season. He's a charming young man. So glad it was not Trent, though.

Dalton is cute, but he just doesn't do it for me. Very "high school talent show".
    Last edited by TeacherLady; 03-31-2016 at 10:07 PM.
    Miss_Griss and GolfGrrl like this.

I like all the final 4 contestants. And now, the final 3 ...wow!
    sparklete likes this.

FORT Fogey

I'm in awe of Laportia not for the performer she is, but for the women she is. She wowed me talking at the women's shelter when she kept on talking about WE to all the women. She gets it. Then she made me stand up and cheer (literally) when she said she didn't like the message of begging a man to stay with her. Her fame better be lasting, because years from now I want to see what an amazing woman she raises her daughter to be with the lessons she's teaching!
    CupidGuest and usschmidt like this.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

This is not the first time I've voted, but it was the first time I voted all 4 ways -- phone, text, on Fox Now, and on Google. All 40 for Trent.
    CupidGuest and razorbacker like this.

They gave Dalton, who really loves a song's lyrics, 'Dancing in the Dark' and 'Everybody Wants to Rule the World'?!? That's the best they could come up with? Clearly they want a LaPorsha/Trent finale. They may be the best vocalists left, however I think they threw Dalton under the bus and backed over him.

I really like all three finalists but Trent is my favorite to win. I do think that better songs could have been chosen for all three of them by Broschetta (not sure of spelling) and the judges. I was a little bored by the choices. La Porsha is a strong women and I think will do very well after Idol based just on her natural talent alone. I don't know why because I'm certainly not a teenager, but both Dalton and Trent touched me more this Season than La Porsha did. I wish a couple of the other girls had made it further because I do think they had more potential than what we saw. I do admit that La Porsha over-shadowed all the girls even very early on, which is exactly why she is one of the final three and most likely final two. I really can't predict who is going to win and I hope all of them have success post Idol.
    CupidGuest likes this.

March 31 2016: The Top Four

1. Trent Harmon. My favorite performance of the night was Tennessee Whiskey. By the way Trent sang Chris Stapletonís version of this country classic. Trentís voice and Chris Stapleton's lyrics are a match made in heaven. I truly hope that the Idol producers are able to pair Trent and Chris on the Finale; e.g. When The Stars Come Out would work beautifully. I would also like to see Trent partner with Tyrese on the contemporary, honest-to-god, old school R&B hit, Shame; or Frank Ocean on the cerebral contemporary hit Thinkin Bout You; or with Allen Stone (Unaware) or Miguel (Coffee or Adorn). Finally The Weeknd's Canít Feel My Face and James Bay's If You Ever Want To Be In Love would also work. I like Justin Timberlakeís Drink You Away but most of it was lost in translation as Trent versionís was more cabaret than anything else. Waiting Game is a quality composition but given the thousands of well-known compositions at their disposal I would have expected something more recognizable to listeners. So I can only judge Trent on the one song that he chose, Tennessee Whiskey, which was brilliantly presented. Trent's is too raw but is learning how to perform.
    2. LaíPorsha Renae. I was stunned to see her in the bottom two. In my mind, she is marginally better than Trent but vastly superior to Dalton. America obviously disagrees with me; and thatís her right. Idol viewers are many and each has his/her own artistic value system. But we respect each other and embrace our differences. As such, if Dalton wins American Idol I will be very happy for him. He seems like a good guy. For the first time this season, I saw chinks in her usually invincible armor. Glory is a good song of inspiration and she sang her heart out but I would have picked something else; something familiar to the voting public. Selma is a good film but I wonder how many people actually saw it and of those, how many remember this song? I donít understand her reasoning on Stay With Me Baby. Scott Borchetta selected songs for the three of them. Apparently, the contestants were not consulted about his choices. But all of this is simply a part of the Idol experience. Even if contestants dislike or are not consulted, he/she must rise above these difficulties and see it through if they want to win. I would also point out that Stay With Me Baby has been covered by some pretty impressive singers; it was good enough for Janis Joplin, Mary J. Blige, Bob Dylan, Whitesnake, and Duffy (to name a few). Itís just not very smart to diss the very same lyric that you need to advance in this competition. Also, LaíPorsha didnít object to The Beatlesí Come Together and that song is a kaleidoscope of silly lyrics. There is no better vehicle for launching a singing career than American Idol. That's a fact! The numbers prove it! From here, I think LaíPorsha handled this incident poorly. Actors must do it every day; accept and play parts they do not like. Their decisions are not based on whether the part is an accurate reflection of their personal lives and value systems. They do it because itís their job. Singers will sometimes be asked to do this as well. They can refuse to do it, sure, based on their personal beliefs (that's their constitutional right) but budding young singers without clout should just play the part, sing the lyric as best they can, and collect their pay checks until they can afford to be more selective about the lyrics they sing. I honestly thought Adele's Hello was a perfect fit for LaíPorshaís voice but there were problems here as well. For some reason, she was not comfortable with this song either. I donít think Iíve ever seen LaíPorsha run away from, dodge, skirt, and change notes to this degree. She could not find several notes and/or did not have enough range in her upper register. I donít think this was a good night for her (or last week) but whether she wins or not I think sheís the best singer in this competition. Iím hoping that the producers will consider pairing her with Andra Day; e.g The Light That Never Fails should work. I also think she would work well with Emile Sande; e.g Clown is perfect for her voice.
    3. Dalton Rapattoni. First, let me apologize to Dalton for spelling his name wrong all this time. I think I got it right now. In my mind, Dalton is not on the same level vocally as LaíPorsha or Trent. But he's very clever (he realized very early that he couldnít out-blow his competition), very pertinacious, blessed with unburstable heart. Heís a fighter. Despite the 3rd place finish here, the judges and America love him. The problem Iím having is this. Iím not a Dalton fan but he picking songs that I love. Iíve loved Blue October since Into The Ocean. And I love Calling You. Itís a beautiful love song and he did a good job with it. Lately, heís perfected that emo punk rock vibe and its working for him. I love The Boss. I love Dancing In The Dark (its about despair and looking for salvation; it has nothing to do with dancing and even though it charted there, is not house music at all). He did a good job with this song as well. I will not critique or blame him for Tears for Fearsí Everybody Wants To Rule The World. The song carries a meaningful message but was boring in 1985 and is elevator music today. I cannot believe that Keith, Jenny, and Harry picked this downbeat song for an energizer bunny like Dalton Rapattoni. Argh! Even though I liked two of the three performances, I cannot rank him higher because, despite what was done here tonight, I have to be true to myself. The performances over the last eight weeks have convinced me that Trent and LaíPorsha do it better. I certainly respect those that feel differently. I have always wanted to see Dalton partner with Fall Out Boy (Centuries), or Death Cab For Cutie (I Will Follow You Into The Dark) or Arcade Fire; e.g., the irresistible toe-tapper, Reflektor is a good collaboration. Or, if not, just bring on Blue October. We know already that Dalton loves those guys.
    4. Mackenzie Borg. I'm gonna miss this likeable little dude. Good luck Mackenzie. For the Finale, I'm hoping the producers pair him with either Charlie Puth for One Call Away or with LaBrinth for Beneath Your Beautiful.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 04-01-2016 at 05:06 AM.
    MoonPie9 likes this.

FORT Fogey

I disagree with your point about Laportia dissing the song lyrics. I absolutely loved what she said for the message it sent out. She didn't talk about it being a bad song - just simply not a message that she stood behind. To use that stage to tell girls that if a man doesn't want to be with you he's not worth fighting for is a GOOD message to convey. I love that she did, and love that inspite of that she was able to take on a character to still nail the song. Silly lyrics are not the same as lyrics that promote weakness, desparation, and the mindset that a woman has to have a man - even a lousy man - to be complete.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast