+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: 3/24 AI 15: Top 5 **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 3/24 AI 15: Top 5 **West Coast Spoilers**

I just got off my duff and voted for the first time this season - for Dalton. Something about him brings out the emotion in me. I know he doesn't stand a chance, and maybe nobody does against the judge favorite, but I felt I had to vote.

Loved Trent as well, would sooner see him win than Laporshia, who I always end up muting.

I also don't get Sia, but do like some of the songs. That new single, however, for being a songwriter was awfully boring. Dancers were interesting.
    navybelle and sparklete like this.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

I sent Dalton a few votes, too - he did a good job tonight! I know he probably can't win, but I like him. I really liked Trent's songs, too, and agree with you about LaPorsha mostly. Her Sia song was pretty good though, so that one I didn't mind. If she ends up winning and makes music like that, I can see it being successful. Otherwise, I've not heard much of her music that I'd consider buying or listening to, even tho she's got talent.

Sia's songs were/are very good, I just didn't get the whole wig thing, those naked looking dancers, and wondered what on earth they were doing? She just stood there behind her hair with the giant bow, singing, and I just didn't quite understand it! Is it a Lady Gaga extreme-look kind of thing? Talking to everyone from behind all that hair would've bothered me the whole day, but she did okay with it apparently. Good for her!

I am so over MacKenzie. Did you hear him say he would play songs called up to stage that he didn't know by making up stuff. Yah, that's how he rolls. I'm over it.

I voted for MY final three of Trent, La'Porsha and Dalton.

I worry about Dalton's mental health which he divulged hadn't been that good even a short time ago. I'm really HOPING the final two are Trent and La'Porsha.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 03-25-2016 at 02:33 AM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Wow Trent, Best of the night for me with both songs! Had to give him 10 votes. I loved both of Trent's songs. The first was fun and funky and he performed it just right. Chandelier was just beautifully sung. Trent has just grown on me so much these last two weeks, and I wouldn't be surprised if he wins the whole thing now. On Dalton's first song, I thought he sounded as if he had lost his confidence, but he really shined on his second song. It was so emotional and raw and I loved it. If I had been left with just his first, I probably wouldn't have given him many votes but I ended up giving him 9 votes on the strength of that performance. There was no doubt that the words to the song had such powerful meaning to him. I was so glad that Sia opened up to him that she was bi-polar too. Seeing Dalton's Mom in the audience after his first song, she seemed a little worried about him so getting such good feedback after the second song was heartening to see. I think that McKenzie will go home. He wasn't bad, just not up to par with Trent and Dalton. I liked La Porsha's first song but felt it could have been better, and I didn't like the second one at all. Her hair was lovely though. Because we are getting down to the wire, I didn't give her or McKenzie any votes this week.
    CupidGuest likes this.

March 24, 2016: The Top Five

1. Trent Harmon. This was a very good night for Trent. The vocal on ZZ Topís Sharp Dressed Man was his but the arrangement was Robert Palmerís Addicted To Love for sure. Still, this was a fantastic performance. I loved what he did here. I was surprised he picked Chandelier but he worked it out and delivered a master class vocal. The frequent octave changes irritate me but apparently Iím the only person that feels this way. I donít get Siaís fascination with the male falsetto (first Mackenzie, then Trent). Trentís upper register can easily find and sustain these notes. I would have paid good money to hear Trentís original version without the falsetto. LaíPorsha has built up so much good will across the country; delivered so many fantastic performances, Iím not sure what happened here will shift the odds in his favor but at least heís competing at a high level. I still think this competition is LaíPorshaís to lose but if she doesnít win, Trent is, in my opinion, very worthy of this title.
    2. LaíPorsha Renae. What she did tonight was good but not up to her usual standard of invincibility. Trent, in particular, gained ground tonight. There are so many great rock ballads. I have to wonder why she picked Bon Joviís Wanted Dead or Alive. It did not look good on her. Sheís not obligated but it would have served her better to pick a rock song with more soul, funk, and R&B; e. g., the staple of so many Black Rockers (Prince, Jimi Hendrix, Ben Harper, Tina Turner, even Michael Jackson and Slash (of Guns N Roses). I understand she fell in love with the lyric (good stuff) but Elastic Heart, as is, is way too eclectic for Idol, in my opinion. Many of Sia's compositions are eclectic. Anyway, I found it a tad boring.
    3. Mackenzie Borg. I Want You To Want Me was classic Mackenzie; caressing lyrics, woo-ing the ladies, and coo-ing out his billowy love songs. His vision of Titanium was perfect for his voice but Sia insisted he employ a falsetto. Mackenzie gave in (he had to, or risk being labeled vain and obstinate) but I think his acquiescence cost him. In my opinion, the falsetto ruined the performance. For the very first time, the judges seemed to suggest that he pick songs that challenge his range. But this is self defeating. He will never out-blow LaíPorsha or Trent; his pipes are too weak. Without a lot of help, he cannot win Idol but heís already won a career in music (as David Cook explained). The judges are smarter but I think Mackenzie should continue omitting and getting round notes he canít reach. It doesnít make sense to change his strategy and start challenge the limits of his register this late in the competition. That would be a disaster.
    4. Dalton Rapatoni. The judges loved his version of The Beach Boys God Only Knows but in my opinion, the song is a bit too bland for primetime television. I loved his second performance. Bird Set Free and Breathe Me are my favorite Sia compositions. I think Dalton did a really good job with Bird Set Free, until the last few bars when his emotions got the better of him and he lost the plot. I always try to avoid giving in to emotion while competing because once you give in there is a real risk of losing vocal integrity. That wonít help your chances of winning a singing competition. Singers cry, both privately and in public concert, but it's rare to see this in competition. Mackenzie and Dalton share the same problem when it comes to singing. La'Porsha and Trent simply do it better. All they can do is stay the course, try to increase their voting blocs, hope the judges turn on them, or hope for a mistake or misstep.

***Good Luck Sonika. I wish you the best.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 03-25-2016 at 02:43 AM.
    Gutmutter, Arielflies and justCoz like this.

Thank you, liedenfrost for your assessments each week. They really bring some clarity as to why some sets work better than others.

Oh, was that Nigel Lithgoe standing with Ryan behind the judges' chairs?

It's an hour later and Titanium is still being sung in my head. Looks like, tonight, Trent won me over more than La'Porsha.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I have not been a Trent fan, but I was mesmerized by his Titanium performance. I would much prefer he win than LaP. if it has to be one of them.
    Liedenfrost - you rock, my friend. I will miss your performance reviews.
    Count your blessings!

Hey at least I wasn't the only one that got the Robert Palmer vibe from Trent on that first performance.

I will disagree with one point that Liedenfrost made & that is about the good will LaPorsha has built up. Everything I have read on multiple sights, she is almost universally disliked, folks don't like to hear her sing & are more than tired of the overpimpage that comes spewing from the judges.

To the Point

I don't mind LaPorsha. I don't always enjoy her performances, but I don't mind her. I do think she is incredibly talented. That being said, Trent was the best by far last night. To me there is such a steep decline between Trent and LaPorsha and the other two guys. While I think both Dalton and Mackenzie both have shown great creativity and artistry at times, they do not have the richness in their vocals that I prefer. Their voices are much "thinner".

Bipolar disorder can be incredibly difficult to manage. I pray that Dalton has really strong, sensitive, caring people in his life to ground him that he trust. There have been many moments when I have just wanted to give him a hug.

Quote Originally Posted by navybelle View Post
    I sent Dalton a few votes, too - he did a good job tonight! I know he probably can't win, but I like him. I really liked Trent's songs, too, and agree with you about LaPorsha mostly. Her Sia song was pretty good though, so that one I didn't mind. If she ends up winning and makes music like that, I can see it being successful. Otherwise, I've not heard much of her music that I'd consider buying or listening to, even tho she's got talent.

Sia's songs were/are very good, I just didn't get the whole wig thing, those naked looking dancers, and wondered what on earth they were doing? She just stood there behind her hair with the giant bow, singing, and I just didn't quite understand it! Is it a Lady Gaga extreme-look kind of thing? Talking to everyone from behind all that hair would've bothered me the whole day, but she did okay with it apparently. Good for her!
    I don't know much about Sia, but every time I've seen her it was with that wig and giant bow. I suspect she can't see that well through it so no moving around the stage. I don't mind that, but the wig thing is off-putting. I do think I read somewhere that it's like a disguise, because off stage she likes to not be recognized - something like that? I like some of her music, but that one last night was so repetitious I was bored. One of the contestants did say they saw her face, so possibly the wig was just for the bits they showed in the packages?
    navybelle likes this.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast