+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: 3/17 AI 15: Top 6 **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 3/17 AI 15: Top 6 **West Coast Spoilers**

March 17, 2016: The Top Six

1. LaíPorsha Renae. I Love Mary J. Blige but Iíve exhausted myself with No More Drama. This was a good performance (loaded with palpable emotion) but vocally, not the equal of earlier performances. I donít care much because sheís built up a mountain of good will over the last few weeks; enough to withstand minor mistakes and reasonable scrutiny. Taken together with the fact that I donít think Mary J. Blige is a good vehicle for what she does, I wonít complain. I loved her version of India Arieís Ready For Love. Burnell Taylor and Malcolm Allen delivered excellent covers of the song previously but neither compares to this. LaíPorshaís was a master class vocal performance, from a woman in complete control of her art and vocal chords. Right now, LaíPorsha is a class of her own. Barring a miracle (which absolutely could happen should she get overconfident and underestimates the competition), this thing is hers to lose. She is the perfect American Idol with all the necessary intangibles. Until now I didnít think that any future American Idol could match Jennifer Hudsonís achievements but this kid just might conquer not only the music industry but film and Broadway too.
    2. Mackenzie Phillips. Iím moving MacKenzie into second. Not because heís the second best singer here; heís not (Trent and/or Sonika sing better). Heís climbing the charts because honestly I like him more than the other four and look forward to his performances each week. Dude is insanely likeable and thereís really nothing the competition can do to neutralize it. Likeability is something youíre born with. Thereís no way to buy it, no way to fake it, no way to learn it. Mackenzie is loaded with it, so much so it creates an unfair advantage and bias. Because of his insane likeability, his competitors must not only sing and perform well and hope that America rewards the effort, they must deliver show stopping performances with shock and awe. America, Iím disappointed. Cat Stevens? Okay. He is a wonderful lyricist. I would have preferred Father and Son or the clever Catís In The Cradle. The latter is listed on my Thirty Best Lyrics of All Time. Wild World, however, is also good music (just not a favorite). I couldnít stop laughing at Mackenzie's interpretation of Michael Jacksonís Billie Jean. No Michael doesnít have strong pipes either but he makes up for it with herculean physicality. Mackenzie can't do that. Dude can't moonwalk. And can't dance. He just stands there and tells his story; his eclectic version of the truth. Hilarious stuff. I love this dude. I can't stop laughing.
    3. Trent Harmon. The judges loved what he did here but I was not engaged in either performance. He did nothing wrong. I just found it surprising that America could listen to Trent sing Allan Stoneís Unaware and Chris Stapletonís What Are You Listening To and pick One Republicís Counting Stars, a song that, in my humble opinion, is not representative of who he is as an artist. But viewers can pick any song they want. They certainly don't need to answer or defend their choices to me. Lynyrd Skynyrdís Simple Man is southern rock. Trent is a Southerner but not a rocker. Still, he had no control over song selection. It must be a helpless feeling because song selection is critical to a contestantís longevity on this show. Trent is a genuine good guy with an a transparent heart but I don't think he is as likeable as Mackenzie or LaíPorsha so will not be afforded the same tolerance for error. Tonight did not increase his chances of winning.
    4. Sonika Vaid. Maybe it was the wind machines. Maybe it was the Idol wardrobe geeks. Maybe it was the camera. I donít know. But Let It Go worked. This was the first time that I actually couldnít take my eyes off of her. Sheís very likeable but until tonight, has been largely forgettable for me. But Sonika actually owned the stage last night. I thought Let It Go was her best performance but I fear it comes at the expense of the lyric. Performance is her weakness and she was concentrating on that so I won't complain here. But at some point she will need to find that delicate balance between emotion and performance. Let It Go was a good choice for her; a perfect union of singer and song. I loved it. America loves Zedd and America loves Clarity. I donít. So Iíll leave it there.
    5. Dalton Rappatori. There was nothing wrong with what he did. Sound of Silence is one of my favorites songs of all time and Simon and Garfunkel are two of the best lyricist in American music. All the singer needs to do is hit the notes; everything else flows from that. He did a good job. Iím confused by his version of Linkin Parkís Numb which was a bit boring. Yes, there is a built in conflict between the lyric and music track so one would think at first glance that a ballad would work. But it didnít. Canít blame America for this. She did him proud; picked the perfect song for him. But, a laid back version of Numb was not the way to go in my opinion. Punk rock is broad enough to include the ballad but Keith's right. If the ballad was the goal, it had to be a power ballad. Failing that, the only alternative was to rock out. Linkin Park always works better in high energy rock mode. Always.
    6. Tristan McIntosh. Iím going to miss this kid. I like her very much. America also picked a good song for her and she delivered. Independence Day was very well sung. Good luck, Tristan. I wish you the best. Below is my list of the best American Idol Stage Performances by Category of the last fifteen years, as well as the Best American Idol Studio Recordings of the last fifteen seasons.

Best American Idol Performances (All Genres) of Seasons 1-15 The selection criteria include lyrics, vocals, and artistry but not sales.
    1. Lovesong (The Cure via Adelle)-----Candace Glover
    2. A Song For You (Donny Hathaway)-----Elliott Yamin
    3. Bridge Over Troubled Water (Simon & Garfunkel)-----Clay Aiken
    4. Itís a Manís Manís World (James Brown)-----Joshua Ledet
    5. Jealous Guy (John Lennon)-----Casey James
    7. House of The Rising Sun (The Animals)-----Haley Rhinehart
    8. I Canít Help Falling in Love With You (Elvis Pressley)-----Jena Irene
    9. Dazed and Confused (Led Zeppelin)-----Caleb Johnson
    10. Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin)-----Adam Lambert
    11. I Believe (Tamyra Gray)-----Fantasia Barino
    12. Imagine (John Lennon)-----David Achuleta
    13. Uprising (Muse)-----James Durbin
    14. When A Man Loves a Woman-----Joshua Ledet
    15. If I Can Dream (Elvis Pressley)-----Elliott Yamin
    16. Whipping Post (Allman Brothers Band)-----Bo Bice
    17. Cause I Love You (Lenny Williams)-----Vincent Powell
    18. Mad World (Gary Jules)-----Adam Lambert
    19. Youíve Changed-----Candace Glover
    20. Natural Woman (Aretha Franklin)-----Kelly Clarkson
    21. The Change (Garth Brooks)-----Phil Stacey
    22. Grace Kelly (Mika)-----Josiah Leming (Hollywood Week)
    23. Yellow (Coldplay)-----Alex Preston
    24. Diamonds (Rhianna)---LaíPorsha Renae
    25. Unaware (Allen Stone)-----Trent Harmon (audition)

Best American Idol Recording (All Genres)Seasons 1-15.
    1. Radioactive (Postmodern JukeBox)-----Blake Lewis
    2. Something In The Water-----Carrie Underwood
    3. Farmerís Daughter-----Crystal Bowersox
    4. Unbreakable Smile-----Tori Kelly
    5. Song Without A Reason-----Josiah Leming
    6. Live Like Weíre Dying-----Chris Allen
    7. Why Iím Feeling Blue-----Casey James
    8. No Fire-----Jon Peter Lewis
    9. You Pulled Me Through-----Jennifer Hudson
    10. Breakaway-----Kelly Clarkson
    11. Little Toy Guns-----Carrie Underwood
    12. Dear No One-----Tori Kelly
    13. What If We Were Real-----Mandisa
    14. Temporary Home-----Carrie Underwood
    15. Take Yourself With You Wherever You Go----Bo Bice
    16. Permanent-----David Cook
    17. Home-----Phillip Phillips
    18. Want-----Adam Lambert (unauthorized)
    19. Play On-----Amanda Overmeyer
    20. Nirvana-----Adam Lambert
    20. So Small-----Carrie Underwood
    21. Dead Weight----Crystal Bowersox
    22. Piece By Piece-----Kelly Clarkson
    23. Here I Come-----Constantine Maroulis
    24. Hysteria--------Catherine McPhee
    25. Here To Die-----Joshua Ledet

Best American Idol Rock Performances Seasons 1-15
    1. Dazed and Confused (Led Zeppelin)-----Caleb Johnson
    2. Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin-----Adam Lambert
    3. Uprising (Muse)-----James Durbin
    4. Whipping Post (Allman Brothers Band)-----Bo Bice
    5. Still of The Night (Whitesnake)-----Caleb Johnson
    6. What Is and What Should Never Be (Led Zeppelin)-----Haley Reinhart
    7. Pressure and Time (Rival Sons)-----Caleb Johnson
    8. Hemorrhage In My Hands (Fuel)-----Chris Daughtry
    9. Dare You To Move (Switchfoot)------David Cook
    10. Higher Ground (Chilli Peppers)------Chris Daughtry
    11. Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen)-----Constantine Maroulis
    12. Cry Baby (Janis Joplin)-----Allison Iraheta (the exit performance)
    13. You Got Another Thing Comin (Judas Priest)-----James Durbin
    14. You Give Love a Bad Name (Bon Jovi)-----Blake Lewis
    15. The Boxer (Simon and Garfunkle)-----Lee Dewyze
    16. Paint It Black (The Rolling Stones)-----Siobhan Magnus
    17. Maggie May (Rod Stewart)------Paul MacDonald
    18. Long As I Can See The Light (Credence Clearwater Revival)---Crystal Bowersox

Best American Idol Rock Recording Seasons 1-15
    1. Here I Come-----Constantine Maroulis
    2. Farmerís Daughter-----Crystal Bowersox
    3. Whyyouwannabringmedown-----Kelly Clarkson
    4. Witness-----Bo Bice
    5. Parachute------James Durbin
    6. High Enough-------Constantine Maroulis (from the musical Rock of Ages)
    7. See The Light-----Bo Bice
    8. Play On----Amanda Overmeyer
    9. Stand Up------James Durbin
    10. Lay It Down-----Amanda Overmeyer
    11. September-----Chris Daughtry via Daughtry
    12. Blackbird Song----Lee Dewyze
    13. Permanent-----David Cook
    14. Love Me Bad-----James Durbin
    15. Never Gone-----Colton Dixon
    16. Louder Than a Loaded Gun-----James Durbin
    17. As Long As You Love Me-----Caleb Johnson
    18. Dead Weight-----Crystal Bowersox

Best American Idol R&B Live Performances Seasons 1-15
    1. Itís a Manís World (James Brown)-----Joshua Ledet
    2. A Song For You (Donny Hathaway)-----Elliott Yamin
    3. When a Man Loves a Woman (Percy Sledge)-----Joshua Ledet
    4. How Can You Mend a Broken Heart (Al Green)-----Mario Vasquez
    5. Cause I Love You (Lenny Williams)-----Victor Powell
    6. Since You Been Gone (Aretha Franklin)-----Melinda Doolittle
    7. I Believe (Tamyra Gray)-----Fantasia Barino
    8. And I Am Telling You (Jennifer Holiday)------Lakisha Jones
    9. Take Me To The King (Tamela Mann)-----Malaya Watson
    10. God Bless The Child (Billie Holiday)-----Jacob Lusk
    11. Unaware (Allen Stone)-----Trent Harmon
    12. This Womanís Work (Maxwell)------Michael Lynche
    13. Ready For Love (India Arie)-----LaíPorsha Renae
    14. A House is Not a Home (Luther Vandross)-----Jacob Lusk
    15. Ainít No Way (Aretha Franklin)------Adriana Latonio
    16. Georgia On My Mind (Ray Charles)-----Clark Beckham
    17. Ordinary People (John Legend)------Candace Glover
    18. Moodyís Mood For Love (Quincy Jones)-----Elliott Yamin

Best American Idol R&B Recordings Seasons 1-15
    1. You Pulled Me Through-----Jennifer Hudson
    2. Here To Die-----Joshua Ledet
    3. Where You At-----Jennifer Hudson
    4. Lose To Win-----Fantasia Barino
    5. I Need An Angel-----Reuben Studdard
    6. I Believe-----Fantasia Barino
    7. Broken Man-----Joshua Ledet
    8. No Air-----Jordin Sparks (with Chris Brown)
    9. Flying Without Wings----Reuben Studdard
    10. Iíve Learned To Breathe Again----- Latoya London
    11. Now Behold The Lamb----Tamyra Gray (from the movie The Gospel)
    12. Rock Bottom-----Justin Guarini
    13. Fight For Love-----Elliott Yamin
    14. Exotic (Radio Edit)---------Nikko Smith
    15. Gallery-----Mario Vasquez
    16. Wait For You----Elliott Yamin

Best American Idol Country Live Performances Seasons 1-15
    1. There Will Come a Day (Faith Hill)-----Melinda Doolittle
    2. Jesus Take The Wheel (Carrie Underwood)------Danny Gokey
    3. The Change (Garth Brooks)-----Phil Stacey
    4. Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash)-----Adam Lambert
    5. Smokey Mountains Memories (Dolly Parton)-----David Archuleta
    6. Broken Wing (Martina McBride)-------Jordin Sparks
    7. Lucky Man (Montgomery Gentry)------Dexter Roberts
    8. Independence Day (Martina McBride)-----Carrie Underwood
    9. Summertime Sadness (Lana Del Rey)----Jessica Meuse
    10. When I Dream (Crystal Gayle)-----Nadia Turner
    11. Here Comes Goodbye (Rascal Flatts)-----Kree Harrison
    12. What Are You Listening To (Chris Stapleton)-----Trent Harmon
    13. My Church (Maren Morris)-----Jenna Renae
    14. Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash)-----Chris Daughtry
    15. The Dance (Garth Brooks)----Janelle Arthur
    16. Youíll Think Of Me (Keith Urban)------Casey James

Best American Idol Country Recording Seasons 1-15
    1. Something In The Water------Carrie Underwood
    2. Why Iím Feeling Blue-----Casey James
    3. Take Yourself With You Wherever You Go-----Bo Bice
    4. Little Toy Guns-----Carrie Underwood
    5. Temporary Home-----Carrie Underwood
    6. Iíll Walk-----Bucky Covington
    7. So Small-----Carrie Underwood
    8. My Best Days Are Ahead of Me-------Danny Gokey
    9. I Wonder----Kelly Pickler
    10. Good Life-----Casey James
    11. Unbelievable------Josh Gracin
    12. Didnít You Know How Much I Loved You-----Kelly Pickler
    13. Jesus Take The Wheel-----Carrie Underwood
    14. See You Tonight-----Scotty McCreery
    15. Hope in Front of Me-----Danny Gokey
    16. I Want To Live-----Josh Gracin
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 03-18-2016 at 06:15 AM.
    ginger2 likes this.

I, too, was a pile of goo to have Adam back on the Idol stage. Now THAT was a season I couldn't wait for his performances each week. This season? meh.
    You're right about Makenzie's likeability, liedenfrost. I'd better go throw him some votes so I have a better chance of seeing him again next week.
    waywyrd likes this.
    Count your blessings!

I cannot for the life of me watch LaPorsha. I just don't get it. Once again she is chosen to close the show, once again she is over pimped, once again the spotlight shines where it doesn't need to be. I just can't imagine Scott Borschetta is wringing his hands in anticipation of having to market that girl. She comes across as a really nice & humble person & I must say she has stunningly beautiful skin, but I just don't like the screeching style of music, & can't even imagine sitting through a two hour concert of that.

I do believe that this is the first season I have ever rooted for a guy (now that Avalon is gone) & I'm going for Trent. Neither of the pretty boys interest me, MacKenzie? Well that Cat Stevens rendition was really weak, the guy may be a fine re arranger of songs, but neither of those vocals were very good. I'll go for Dalton over him, but neither one can stand toe to toe with Trent for just pure vocal ability.

And Adam Lambert? The guy might be a fine vocalist, but he certainly seems to have some issues picking his singles. I mean what was that? Welcome to my life....over & over & over again. If his album is filled with nothing better than that then I'd say it has to be a pretty sad album.
    Misty8723 and Gutmutter like this.

FORT Fogey

I also had to leave the performances, watching Project Runway in between the beginning of almost every song. Didn't miss a note of Adam although I agree that his new song was nothing special. For someone who is a master of emotion, that was pretty lightweight. I am guessing that he is recording for the dance club crowd now.

When PR mentioned that her abusive boyfriend attacked the things she was most proud of...her voice and her hair, I was a little taken aback. The voice is wonderful, but the hair is not. It is just too much and looks worse now in the dyed black. The word mushroom was mentioned and that was exactly how it looks. When she sang the first song, I imagined if just the head scarf was on her head and all her hair was contained within it and that looked good.

As far as her doing movies and Broadway, I don't see it. I know that J Hudson came really into her own after she left AI, so maybe I am wrong.

The only one I'm enjoying in particular is Dalton. I've never heard the song Numb so I have nothing to compare it with, and I was very taken in with his version. Sound of Silence is one of my all time favorite songs. There are three songs in my life that I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing the first time I heard them - and that is one of them. When he first started out, I was uncertain it was a good choice, but he proved me wrong. MacKenzie's vocals were worse on both songs (in my opinion) and yet the judges fawned over him and pretty much threw Dalton under the bus? I find Dalton as likable (or more so) than MacKenzie - he seems to be a very sweet, vulnerable kid and it's very appealing. I'm not talking about his looks either, because not my taste really. When MacKenzie was singing Billie Jean, I just kept thinking about David Cook and one of my all time favorite Idol performances.

Laporsha I do not like. Not her personally, I'm sure she's a nice enough person, but her singing is like nails on a chalkboard. I muted the first song and turned the TV off the second one - preferring sleep to more caterwalling. I also muted / switched channels for Adam. I realize he's a board favorite, but I have never cared for his singing style.

Trent was my early favorite and I did agree somewhat with Jenn on that second song - he did it perfectly.

I will miss Tristan, I didn't think Independence Day was a good choice for her, and it was so cut down you couldn't even get a sense of the story behind it if you had never heard it. Carrie Underwood did a much better cover of it during her season, which I actually prefer to Martina McBride. I think Tristan fell victim to the big voice high note competition. Sonika seems like a nice person and she has grown, and I do prefer her to Laporsha, but again not my style of music to listen to.

I just can't see any of these people having the success that Kelly has had, if that was their aim. They made a mistake loading the deck with girls of similar style, and hyping Laporsha so much - in my opinion.
    JORY'sMom and Maybaybie like this.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

FORT Fogey

It is funny that after the judges, on the road, gushed over the female talent, we are left with a majority of boys.
    Miss_Griss and Gutmutter like this.

I'm glad there's someone for everyone this season.
    Count your blessings!

When I think of the demographic that probably votes, I just don't see LaPorsha winning. I know the judges have all but told America she should win, but I don't think it's going to happen. I suspect WGWG will reign supreme again...heck, there are 3 to chose from...

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    When I think of the demographic that probably votes, I just don't see LaPorsha winning. I know the judges have all but told America she should win, but I don't think it's going to happen. I suspect WGWG will reign supreme again...heck, there are 3 to chose from...
    They tell us every season who should win. Sometimes it backfires.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    It is funny that after the judges, on the road, gushed over the female talent, we are left with a majority of boys.
    My guess is that it's because they loaded it with girls of similar style so those who vote picked one or two they liked and ignored the rest. I personally can only listen to so many belting ballads before I tune them all out.
    navybelle likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast