+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 3/10 AI 15: Top 8 **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 3/10 AI 15: Top 8 **West Coast Spoilers**

Sorry to see Lee Jean eliminated but Sonika was the best of the bottom three. Could never get on board with Avalon. She's pretty and cute, but I don't like her style of music. I think that Jennifer really wanted to get Avalon through, but she really couldn't because Sonika was so much better. I wasn't impressed with Dalton
    this week. He's great eye candy but his range is limited and his choices this week were off. I really liked McKenzie, felt his solo sang was best of the night. Every one else was pretty evenly matched and middle of the road. I too hate how they are rushing the Season. I didn't like Nick's song. I felt they could have picked a better song to showcase him. Surely there as at least one song on his new album that was better.

March 10, 2016: The Top Eight

1. LaíPorsha Renae. This was classic Patti Labelle, even the operatic last note is a classic Patti Labelle trademark and tradition. Itís the first time I heard the silly lyrics of Come Together and paid them no mind. My attention was totally devoted to LaíPorsha Renae. This kid is a seasoned performer; light years better than her competition, and commands the stage. I loved everything about this performance. Kelly Clarkson proclaimed her the winner a month ago but I honestly thought someone would rise up and challenge her. That hasnít happened and time is running out. Itís looking more and more like LaíPorsha will be the last American Idol standing.
    2. Trent Harmon. Trent is a good singer; a gifted artist, and a very lovable dude but as of March 10, 2016, no threat to LaíPorsha Renae. What I love about Trent is his utter and complete devotion to traditional R&B. He gets it. I think that Jenny was trying to encourage him to explore the contemporary new wave R&B, commonly known as PBR&B or hipster R&B, that has taken the music world by storm the last couple years; e.g., the Weekend, Frank Ocean, Sam Smith, Miguel, Bruno Mars, and more recently Zayn Malik has embraced this genre. No, clothes donít make the man; but at least Trent would look the part of a young, contemporary, and hip R&B singer. Trent should listen to her because the PBR&B boys are making more money than they can spend in multiple lifetimes.
    3. Dalton Rappatoni. This was Daltonís best work on the Idol stage. A tip of the hat to Rickey Minor and the Band. It looked like he assembled two violinists, one violist, one cellist, and one guitarist (I didnít see or hear any drums, horns, keyboards, or synthesizers). The original Eleanor Rigby utilized a string octet of four violins, two violas, and two cellos only. Dalton is not a good singer. Thereís just not enough range, power, or tone in his voice to compete successfully with Trent or LaíPorsha. Not only are they blessed with booming pipes but both are seasoned and consummates artists that can bully, muscle, and caress a lyric at will. There are ways to get round weak pipes in this industry, but those enabling devices will not be available to him in this competition. Eleanor Rigby is a sad song about loneliness, old age, death, and missed opportunity. In contrast to the lyric, Dalton wanted to rock. That created a disconnect between the performance and the message. But Iím willing to forgive that because this kid delivered a magnificent, bold, and mesmerizing performance. Very reminiscent of Dream Theater, Apocalyptica, Nightwish, etc. I loved it! But this was a missed opportunity for Harry to explain the difference between a mode (Eleanor Rigby) and a key; e.g., Jazz musicians are mode masters. We know how much Harry likes to explain music theory.
    4. Tristan McIntosh. Iíve heard better versions of Broken Wing on the Idol stage; most notably by Carrie Underwood and Jordin Sparks. The song is about escaping an abusive relationship. Tristan has a beautiful voice, capable of generating mellifluous power and exquisite tone. But sheís a raw singer whose voice is an untamed instrument. I donít know that she will have the time to master her instrument on a show with multiple and seasoned vocalists and performers but I love her voice and I love listening to her sing.
    5. Mackenzie Borg. We all love Mackenzie. But, heís just not a great singer. Heís never going to be a great singer. Heís got beautiful soul and uncanny music sensitivity, and all of these wonderful attributes were on full display tonight. Heís very willing to show you his heart; heís invites us in. But heís got weak pipes and limited range, so his fate is dependent on tugging at heart strings. Thatís his only avenue to the finals. So far, heís actually done a good job of that.
    6. Sonika Vaid. Sonika also has powerful pipes and a beautiful voice. Forgive me for saying this but sheís the kind of singer that sounds great on radio but would bore you to death in a live performance. She brings a lot of big challenging songs to the Idol stage, and sings them well, but we always get the as is version. There are no ad libs, no new runs, and no innovations at all. Iíll wait for the radio version of Sonika. The live version is a camera-friendly, lovable young lady with a beautiful smile. Unfortunately, sheís just not very interesting so canít inspire viewers to vote for her.
    7. Avalon Young. Keith, thereís not much mystery here. Avalonís niche and first love is contemporary hip-hop. Not serious or message-oriented hip hop but light-hearted, fun loving hip hop. Thereís nothing wrong with that; nothing wrong with what sheís doing but no contestant has ever made final four with hip hop. Itís not surprising that sheís having troubled connecting to a demographic of Baby Boomers (many of whom have a low tolerance for hip hop anyway). The disconnect was real but manageable. She should have picked cerebral hip hop; songs with quality lyric, great melody, and a real message. PYT (Pretty Young Thing) was a failure waiting to happen. Itís been tried three times on the Idol stage and each time the Idol contestant came second best to Michael Jackson. I always wish the best for Idol contestants. I love all these kids. But either Avalon didnít do her homework of didnít pay enough attention to her findings.
    8. Lee Jean. I wish Lee the best. I know heís sick so I hope he feels better soon. If you heard what was done tonight, it speaks for itself. I always wish the best for these kids so will leave it there.

Nick Fradiani: I love Nick and I love Get You Home. I hope he moves a million units overnight. But, that song sure sounds just like a Nick Jonas or DNCE composition. But given Nick's recent success, this is definitely not a bad thing.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 03-11-2016 at 03:34 AM.
    sclilred1 likes this.

Okay, so, I really don't like Laporsha. I've tried, but I just can't. I think what really seals the deal for me is the constant pimping. When she was singing Come Together I turned to husband and said, do you think Harry is going to ask her what those lyrics mean? According to John Lennon, they are "gobbledygook." How can he be such a hypocrite and keep pounding on the importance of lyrics and meaning to the other kids (I do happen to agree with him, by the way), and give Laporsha a pass on that one? Oh well, it's just a reality show, and long past it's prime.

Sorry to see Avalon and Lee Jean go. As for Baby Boomers not getting on board with Avalon - sorry to tell you but I'm a boomer and I liked her a lot, much more so than the ones who figure the only way to deliver a song is to belt it out at top voice. I've never liked PYT (including the original), and never cared for any other version on any singing show - but I liked Avalon's. Thought she was the best of the bottom three.

Still liking Dalton and MacKenzie has grown on me a lot. Trent was an early favorite, but don't feel that way now. Also liking Tristan. That wasn't the best cover of Broken Wing I've ever heard, but it wasn't bad.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I skipped the duets to watch Big Bang Theory. I don't think this is the best song for LaPorsha. Her hair looks so much better in this color, but that outfit isn't doing her ANY favors.
    Her hair looked better than that Glad Bag she decided to wear. My goodness, what the hey!!

Quote Originally Posted by ginger2 View Post
    Sorry to see Lee Jean eliminated but Sonika was the best of the bottom three. Could never get on board with Avalon. She's pretty and cute, but I don't like her style of music. I think that Jennifer really wanted to get Avalon through, but she really couldn't because Sonika was so much better. I wasn't impressed with Dalton
    this week. He's great eye candy but his range is limited and his choices this week were off. I really liked McKenzie, felt his solo sang was best of the night. Every one else was pretty evenly matched and middle of the road. I too hate how they are rushing the Season. I didn't like Nick's song. I felt they could have picked a better song to showcase him. Surely there as at least one song on his new album that was better.
    His parents must have some kind of beauty genes cause his sister is smokin!

Sorry to see Avalon go but once she hit the bottom 3 there was no way they were gong to save her again. Sonika was really good & deserved to go. Lee was pretty brutal & he knew it as well. I just can't get on board the LaPorsha train & I really have to disagree with you liedenfrost, she commands the stage only because the judges declare it so. I think she is so off putting & over pimped that she won't be the winner. And besides, I have no doubt that Scott Borschetta will rue the day she is added to his roster. It's really a pretty unusual mix we have left, 3 minority women, 2 heart throb guys & Trent. Who will rule the roost?
    Misty8723 likes this.

FORT Fogey

I don't know who selected the songs for the duets, but the judges didn't mince any words about what a poor choice the two guys got ...sort of like the duet Scottie did with the cowboy hat wearing girl. Is it SB?? I wasn't crazy about Nick's song either. Again, does this all fall on SB?

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    I don't know who selected the songs for the duets, but the judges didn't mince any words about what a poor choice the two guys got ...sort of like the duet Scottie did with the cowboy hat wearing girl. Is it SB?? I wasn't crazy about Nick's song either. Again, does this all fall on SB?
    I hate to say it but I almost feel like the duets were chosen just to knock down the two cute guys. I feel like Scott doesn't want them to win and this is a way to possibly eliminate one of them. And I do wish that Trent would go back to his other wardrobe like Jlo said, it made him a bit "cooler". For me, if it came down to just the voice, it has to be Trent and LaPorsha, but you know that is not how it works a lot of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Helenmaco2 View Post
    I hate to say it but I almost feel like the duets were chosen just to knock down the two cute guys. I feel like Scott doesn't want them to win and this is a way to possibly eliminate one of them. And I do wish that Trent would go back to his other wardrobe like Jlo said, it made him a bit "cooler". For me, if it came down to just the voice, it has to be Trent and LaPorsha, but you know that is not how it works a lot of the time.
    I didn't think the duet with the boy band song was that bad, I didn't like LaPorsha and Trent's duet as much as the judges seemed to, and I didn't think the other duets were that horrible either. I mean, obviously you aren't going to get great duets as a rule on a show like this and the judges criticism about song lyrics, song choices, they should have refused the song, blah blah blah. All designed to build up LaPorsha and Trent as finalists. I hope that's not the case. Never liked LaPorsha and over Trent.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

FORT Fogey

I laughed when Harry told the boys to refuse a song that doesn't work---yea!! Harry has been in this business since he was a kid so he forgot that people just starting out can't do that
    Misty8723 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast