+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: 3/3 AI 15: Top Ten **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 3/3 AI 15: Top Ten **West Coast Spoilers**

Olivia sent home? Really? I haven't watched yet, just stopped by here to check out what happened... cannot believe Olivia got the boot! She and Dalton were my faves!
    waywyrd and BerryCrazy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CupidGuest View Post
    I like La'Porsha but the wig and dress need to go.

I thought they established tonight that it's her real hair.

Avalon's nervous tic...is that new? I don't remember it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    Olivia sent home? Really? I haven't watched yet, just stopped by here to check out what happened... cannot believe Olivia got the boot! She and Dalton were my faves!
    Olivia has been solid throughout the competition! So disappointed she went home. I thought she could've taken it all. I wonder who actually were the bottom two?
    Cornholio likes this.

March 03, 2016: The Top Eight

1. LaíPorsha Renae. Halo is yet another show-stopper from LaíPorsha Renae. The absolute best vocal and best stage performance of the night. At this stage of the competition, sheís the prohibitive favorite. Itís odd in a way because she seems very much a seasoned professional already. Still keeping my fingers crossed for some Adele (Hello) or Andra Day (Rise Up; The Light That Never Fails).
    2. Trent Harmon. The super talented Joshua Ledet showed us how to sing When A Man Loves A Woman. What happened here pales in comparison to that but was still somewhat interesting. The first half was restrained, straightforward, and frankly, boring. Once he crooned in the high notes and falsetto things fell into place. Yes, he;s got the maniacal mug but it doesn't bother me so much. Remember Phillip Phillips used to actually frighten people.
    3. Sonika Vaid. This was a good vocal (her pipes are powerful) but not a great performance. It had none of the fire, sass, attitude, and dedicated rock vibe of the original. Iíve never even tried to match Sonika with song because I have no idea who she is as an artist. Her song choices seem to suggest a preference for popular music but she's still a key looking for a lock. She's also incomplete as an artist and untamed and uninspired as a performer. But she's an excellent technical singer.
    4. Tristan McIntosh. Go Rest High On That Mountain is a tribute to country singer, Keith Whitley, Vince Gilís friend, who died unexpectedly. This was a good vocal, as well as a beautiful, passionate and restrained performance. But itís clear that Tristan will need Scott Borchettaís help with picking songs. She should never be allowed to do this on her own. This was a moving and mature performance; light years better than last week.
    5. Lee Jean. I think this was Leeís best work of the season. Like the remaining male contestants, thereís not much power in his pipe but he can stretch, finesse and caress a lyric very well. I donít like Use Somebody but I love what Lee did with it. Even though I liked it and love Kings of Leon, he could have picked a variety of better songs.
    6. McKenzie Borg. I disagree with Harry. I think this was a brilliant arrangement. But I also agree with Harry that Mackenzie doesnít have the pipes or the range to negotiate high notes (no upper register) and should have presented it as a soft ballad. Itís obvious that Scott Borchetta recognized this kidís limited range., but for some reason the high notes remained, with predictable result. Mackenzie could not find them? Changing them or omitting them altogether would have served him better; anythingís better than failing notes and sounding flat. Vocally, this was not very good but, again, I loved the arrangement and everything that MacKenzie tried to do here. It almost worked; if only he had some pipes.
    7. Dalton Rappatori. The judges are far more invested in this contestant than I am. Not surprisingly, his pipe is weak and thereís no power in his voice. His song choices are good but not very challenging and mostly nondescript. For me, his Radioactive was unimaginative and uninteresting. This kid is playing it safer than the other contestants; heís stopped taking chances completely. Flying under the radar wonít win you this title.
    8. Avalon Young. Good song but this was not a good vocal. Like the boys, she doesnít possess much power or range. But whereas the boys are more musically mature and sensitive (more accessible, transparent, and relatable), Iím not at all convinced that Avalon appreciates the fact that interactive television shows like American Idol require contestants to do things that donít want. As a historical point of reference, Phillip Phillips refused to wear anything other than jeans and black or gray t-shirts even though he was asked to do so. He was also hesitant to smile, thinking it was unnecessary and pretentious. Eventually, Phillip decided that he wanted to win, so made the changes on his own. The moral of the story is two-fold: 1) All contestants should study the rules so that they start the competition aware with eyes wide open. This way they can know what is expected of them and the consequences of failing to fulfill those obligations; 2) Anyone choosing to pursue a career in entertainment should know that their livelihood depends on a paying public. It would be career suicide to scold, vet, pre-select, or judge the public that supports you and your loved ones. In short, things like makeup and/or wardrobe are meaningless for an unproven artist in search of a career. Just do it; and do it with a smile. What difference does it make? Almost everyone I know, whether a school student, office or manufacturing workers, laborers, technicians, technologists, doctors, teachers, etc, all wear some kind of uniform. They didn't lose their self-respect or identity. It's part of the job requirement; that's all. Once a person achieves a certain success, then they can make waves and do things their way.

Format Question: After picking the contestants all the way through to Top 8 now, the judges are still involving themselves in the elimination process. Why? We, the voters (not the judges) determined the identities of the top eight contestants, so why were only seven advanced? The 8th place finisher should have been put through directly to Top 8 and the 9th and 10th place finishers sent home. Why should the 8th place finisher have to sing again to earn the same 8th place finish that was his/hers from the start? Weíve always had bottom three but the winner was always determined by our votes so a bottom three competition could not actually change a result. Thatís no longer the case. It just seems to me that the judges this season wield a Machiavellian power share.

Olivia Rox: Was sent home but in my opinion is a better singer than some others here. Last week I ranked her #2. Her problem was not talent; her departure can be tracked to illness, low likeability, and poor song choices. She was simply unable to secure enough votes to advance. This happens all the time. I'm sure all of us can name more than one contestant whose popularity kept them in the competition far longer than their talent warranted. Good for them. They played the game well. Also, even if I think differently, I always accept and respect America's decisions. By the way, I'm not suggesting that others do or don't..
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 03-04-2016 at 05:15 AM.
    CupidGuest likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    Yeah. After all the hype about women over men, we're equally divided between men and women at this point, and the women are dwindling fast.

After LaPortia's package, I think it's supposed to be clear that this is her real hair, no?
    AND to

Quote Originally Posted by GolfGrrl
    I thought they established tonight that it's her real hair.
    I didn't see that part because I fell asleep (was tired) so I thought it was a wig. Oops. Sorry.
    Last edited by CupidGuest; 03-04-2016 at 05:42 AM.
    Miss_Griss likes this.

After YEARS of not watching this show, I watched part of it tonight because it happened to be on after Top Chef so I checked it out. Everyone seems so young! Probably because the last time I watched I was quite a bit younger than the contestants and now I'm older than them.

First two performances were meh for me. Nothing special. Dalton looks like he time-traveled from 2006. "Guyliner" was really popular then, as was that sort of hairstyle.

Sonika didn't really do "Since U Been Gone" justice. As others have said, she didn't inject the angst into it and because of this the song didn't really carry the punch that it should have.

I hadn't watched up until this point but I could tell from this one episode that "the show" seems to love LaPorsha and really tries to drive the point home that we should all like her too. She did do well though.

Tristan seems like she needs help picking songs that are good for her. Her one line of "Clarity" that was shown in her package was awful and I'm glad she changed the song.

I lost interest partway through so I didn't catch the end. I agree, it seems stupid that viewers are supposed to vote the top 8 in, but then the person who finishes in 8th (but technically was still voted into the top 8) can still go home. I have to say I'm not a fan of the show being 2 hours. It ends up moving slow and then they need guest performers to simply fill the time, and 2 hours is a substantial time commitment if you're not a huge fan of the show.
    "In spite of all the temptation you have endured, all the suffering, you remain pure of heart, just as pure as you were at the age of eleven, when you stared into a mirror that reflected your heart's desire, and it showed you only the way to thwart Lord Voldemort, and not immortality or riches."

My 2 cents: TPTB want a fitting bookend winner to the series worthy to balance Kelly. I think that's why the judges have so much power this season. It's clear they want La'Porsha. Olivia was an understudy in case La'P took a nosedive somehow. But last week O. could barely sing due to illness and it put her in a position for the judges to remove her so she wouldn't split votes away from La'P. Too much meddling and fawning over a favorite can really backfire, though. I'm not a huge fan of La'P - or any diva singer, but she is a fitting bookend. Just no more princess dresses, PLEASE.
    Avalon's face last night is the reason I don't wear makeup. They should leave her alone. I liked the braid in her hair, though.
    TeacherLady likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by CupidGuest View Post
    AND to

I didn't see that part because I fell asleep (was tired) so I thought it was a wig. Oops. Sorry.
    Funny, that's exactly the same time I fell asleep. Woke up when husband said "she's pretty good, isn't she?" And LaPorcia was singing.

She is talented, but not my style. I always thought it was her real hair. I'm glad they've at least tamed it a bit. She looks so much better.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

FORT Fogey

I was surprised that she agreed to the jet black since that taupe was pretty. Of course I wondered how they were going to keep her roots from showing over the course of the show.....apparently going back to her natural color solved the problem.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast