+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: 2/24-2/25 AI 15: Top 14 **West Coast Spoilers

Re: 2/24-2/25 AI 15: Top 14 **West Coast Spoilers

I wasn't expecting results immediately and now a whole show of competition to vote on. I don't remember them doing that before.
    Goodbye Thomas Stringfellow. I would have enjoyed having you on my tv a while longer.
    sparklete likes this.
    Count your blessings!

None of the really "quirky" singers made it through. Sigh.
    Gutmutter likes this.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

I'm sure enjoying seeing the memories of Kelly tonight! She's just awesome. So pretty, so talented, and very interested in these singers. I respect how much she credits the show and gives back as much as she does.
    CupidGuest and sparklete like this.

Yay, Jen is gone!
    Jezebella and BerryCrazy like this.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by navybelle View Post
    I'm sure enjoying seeing the memories of Kelly tonight! She's just awesome. So pretty, so talented, and very interested in these singers. I respect how much she credits the show and gives back as much as she does.
    Kelly is so down-to-earth. Love her!!

Geez, Kelly had me crying along with Keith during her song at the end.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Too much over the top gushing over LaPorsha.

I thought Trent & Sonika were the best of the night.

I believe Gianna & Lee have probably sung their last.

And shoot me if you must but I just wanted Kelly Clarkson to shut the hell up.
    InsideOut likes this.

American Idol Deluxe Arielflies's Avatar

My order tonight: Olivia, LaPorcha, Dalton, Sonika and I hope for another chance for Avalon.

I thought Kelly would sing Heartbeat, but wow, that is how you bring emotion into a song.

Voted.

I think people forget that Kelly was on the show, Duets on NBC for two seasons. Sitting in a judge/mentor chair is not new to her.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Good show tonight, but it seems to me that everything is being rushed. What happened to final 12? or wild card night. It's like TPTB can't wait for it all to be over. In March, Idol is only going to be on one night. I do enjoy having the past idols back and it was nice seeing cameo's of Kelly in her season. It was the only one I missed, so it was nice to see snapshots of her performing thoughout Season One. As for the Idols, my favorites mostly made it through. Since we are down to 10, why eliminate two next week? My personal favorites tonight were Sonika, Dalton, Olivia and Lee Jean. La Porcha certainly has the chops, and she looked wonderful tonight. Her hair is still a distraction but it was styled nicely. So far, she is choosing her songs well and they are always on key. Although her choices in music aren't mine, I have to put her in the top three to make it through. A few of the others needed to pick better songs. NO one really bombed, I think McKensie and Trent will probably go through. I think it is more iffy for Avalon, Gianna and Tristin.

February 25, 2016: The Top Ten

1. La’Porsha Renae. It took a while but we finally got something to celebrate. Afterwards, Kelly pronounced her the winner of season fifteen. No, Kelly. That’s not how it works! It’s much too early to pick a winner. Simon told the other contestants to start packing their bags for home after Lakisha Jones stunned the audience with And I Am Telling You (the first round of season six) but Lakisha struggled after that and finished fourth. There’s a lot of singing and a lot of time before a winner is announced. Some or all of that time could be spent nursing a bruised vocal chord or some other malady, coping with an unintentional but costly faux pas, being forced to withdraw for any number of reasons, or committing a singing blunder. That aside, this was a magnificent and spell-binding performance from La’Porsha Renae. I was hoping she might pick Adele (Someone Like You or Hello) or Prince’s Purple Rain but it’s unlikely to happen. With the exception of Proud Mary, her song choices have been brilliant. She understands very well how this game is played. Honestly, I’ve never heard Rihanna’s Diamonds presented this way. She reminds me of the great Candace Glover, another mesmerizing performer. Diamonds is the first truly great performance of the season. Thank you, La'Porsha.
    2. Olivia Rox. All of them want to but Olivia's desire to win is historic and myopic. She’s got the pipes to worry La’Porsha and flaunts them at every opportunity. Can she over-power, out-belt La’Porsha? Absolutely she can! If she picks the right song. Olivia’s rendition of Katy Perry’s Unconditionally was presented very well. I was loving it until she reached the bridge, decided to forego the original melody, and scream,, which forced me to disengage. She, like Adam Lambert, likes to show off her upper register. This leads to a lot of arbitrary screaming that strangle melody. But man, this kid has some pipes! And she's a competition veteran. She knows the game and won't be an easy out.
    3. Sonika Vaid. This was a good vocal; a faithful and entertaining version of Evanescence’ Bring Me to Life. She’s searching; she’s trying; and she’s competing. And she’s doing all this without a real music identity. Her song choices are all over the place. Her strategy appears to be pipes and power! Sure, you can win doing that but why take the long way round? Wouldn't it be better to utilize a strategy that actually increases your chances of winning? I love this kid but she's got many rivers to cross before she can get over (yes, I stole this lyric).
    4. Trent Harmon. Usually Trent doesn’t do this but did tonight; Sam Smith’s Like I Can was badly over-sung. I love that song. After listening to Olivia, Sonika, and La’Porsha I wonder if Trent felt pressured to match what was done and started forcing things in his performance. If so, that's not good. Trent, just do what you do! You can’t play the pipe game with La’Porsha, Olivia, Sonika. You’ll lose, Bro! Those girls can blow! They are shock and awe! Artistic excellence is the only effective weapon against them; the only way to neutralize booming pipes and power ballads.
    5. MacKenzie Borg. I’m starting to think Mackenzie is out of his depth. He has no pipes. No power. His weapon of choice is his artistry but Trent is a better caresser of lyrics and a better artist. I see no way he can win this competition. I won’t make any friends saying this but I am tired of I See Fire. It’s so easy to sing and play; it’s almost like cheating. It's become the favorite song for Idol contestants with weak pipes.
    6. Lee Jean. Let’s see if I have this figured out. Lee is a fifteen year old, inner city African American male with a decided preference for British pop songs (I know. I know Skinny Love was a Bon Iver track before Birdy did it)? I take back what I said last night (that Lee is not unique). There are tons of great English pop songs at his disposal so I’m really, really curious now to see how this weird paradox plays out. He’s got my full attention.
    7. Avalon Young. Stitches? Big mistake! Songs like this don’t work on the Idol stage. Neither the lyric nor the melody tugs the heart string. It’s not a competition song. This was a lost opportunity for Avalon. For the most part, she’s picking songs from the top of the chart but that’s not enough to win Idol. One must still pick either a song with a great lyric and memorable melody, or, a song with a strong entertainment component. Please Avalon; if entertainment is the goal please pick songs with some real muscle! The best way to get judges anywhere to fall in love with you is to pick songs with a great lyric and a memorable melody. If you do this, everything else will fall into place.
    8. Dalton Rappatori. Hey There Delilah is a good song with good melody and a quality lyric, but, it’s not a competition song. It’s still a campfire sing a long without any range or music complexity. Aren’t Light Em Up (Fall Out Boy), Centuries (Fall Out Boy), or I Will Follow You Into The Dark (Death Cab for Cutie) more interesting and competitive compositions? I am assuming that Dalton's first love is emo and/or punk rock?
    9. Tristan McIntosh. I was really shocked and disappointed here. Nothin Like You is a great song. I love this song. It should have served her well. Tristan simply failed to deliver; didn't sing it well. Disappointed? Yes. But I never get frustrated with kids that are actually trying their best to get it right. Rather, I prefer to encourage them to stay the course. This kid can sing. She belongs here. I hope she can right the ship.
    10. Gianna Isabella. Another performance that went wildly wrong. Oddly, Listen is a perfect competition song. It, too, should have worked. She's got the pipes. This was not an impossible task. I don’t know what happened here; it seemed she lost the will to fight half way through. But she, too, can sing and should be encouraged to stay the course. Hang in there, Gianna.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 02-26-2016 at 03:39 AM.
    Gutmutter likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast