+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: 2/3-2/4 AI 15: Hollywood Week Continues **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 2/3-2/4 AI 15: Hollywood Week Continues **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by yourefired View Post
    Omg this statement is ridiculous! There is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to better yourself and your career. Doing so will benefit your kids. Plenty of parents have to travel for work and more days than what this competition will take. So do you also think consultants or baseball scouts or sales people who are on the road nearly 200 days a year are selfish and don't care about their kids. My father was a road warrior when I was growing up and true he missed a lot. However he could not make the same money staying at home. It didn't mean he didn't care about his kids. It meant that he wanted to provide for us and give us the best he could. These contestants are no different.
    I don't care what they do, any of them. Money isn't everything and "better life" is subjective, and I do believe I'm entitled to that opinion. I would rather have grown up poor like we did and have my mother available than to have her off chasing a dream and making money, and claiming she was doing it for me.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    Regarding the "doing it for my kid" vs. "doing it for myself" debate...

But first....can I just say that referring to someone as "the black girl" comes off really, really poorly in my book. Referring to the woman with a toddler (or her name for that matter) would do the trick just fine. I don't want to identify/know people based on skin color.

As to the debate, seems everyone is right. The woman is doing it for herself, but she's also doing it for her daughter. And yes, since she doesn't have time or means to sing in clubs she's doing it without the work others put into it (not that she's not working) by virtue of being on the show. I'm sure she gets that as much as everyone else does.

I have no problem with someone taking a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity like this for whatever reason. I don't care who it's for and I don't care how hard they've worked at it. A golden opportunity comes along and seems like the responsible thing to do is to take it.
    I agree. My issue is only with people who focus on forever saying they are doing it for their kid. I know the show likes to focus on that, and I don't hold it against any of them when it comes to who I support. Just don't want to hear it all the time. And that will be my last word on the subject. Didn't mean to start a fire storm
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

Did I fall asleep or hit my head - what happened to the cowboy?
    "Since no one can ever know for certain whether or not his own view of life is the correct one, it is absolutely impossible for him to know if someone else's is the wrong one." -Gore Vidal

Quote Originally Posted by pintobean View Post
    Did I fall asleep or hit my head - what happened to the cowboy?
    If you mean the big guy with the black hat...he was in the room that didn't make the cut.
    pintobean likes this.

I don't care for the sob stories. I don't want to hear about the single mom, the grandfather who died, the drug addiction, living in the kitchen of a trailer. I want to hear how well they sing and critiques on the singing.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    If you mean the big guy with the black hat...he was in the room that didn't make the cut.
    He lost his black hat before his final song. He claimed it was his lucky hat, so I guess you might say his luck ran out.
    pintobean likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    I don't care for the sob stories. I don't want to hear about the single mom, the grandfather who died, the drug addiction, living in the kitchen of a trailer. I want to hear how well they sing and critiques on the singing.
    Me too. I fell asleep actually. I will catch up when they have their top ...how many they have..
    Cornholio likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    I totally agree, Cornholio! I've hated the sob stories for years (on ALL the competition shows) ever since the contestants started telling them. I've always thought they'd be much smarter if they tried to 'sell themselves' to the viewing audience and the judges --- by trying to show how GREAT and TALENTED they are, and talking about their singing (and other talent) background. BUT I do understand that it's also important for each contestant to try to get people to vote for them, and unfortunately, I guess the viewing public has responded more to their sob stories than to their talent backgrounds --- so all we get are more sob stories.
    Cornholio likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234