+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: 2/3-2/4 AI 15: Hollywood Week Continues **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 2/3-2/4 AI 15: Hollywood Week Continues **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    I think they did a good job of putting through some really talented folks. I really like Avalon & I don't particularly care for the black girl with the sagebrush hairdo. They continue to focus too much on her single motherhood thing. I'm pulling for a girl to win.
    I get very turned off by anyone who says they are doing it for their kids. No they aren't, they're doing it for themselves. If they cared about the kids, they would STAY HOME with them and raise them.
    GolfGrrl and Uncle David like this.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

Making a better life for yourself helps the kids too. A dead end job, especially in this market, is not going to help the kids. However, doing something with your talent that turns into a full time job does help the kids. It also teaches your kids to go after your dreams, to stand up for yourself and that if you work hard enough good things will come to you. So yes, the ones that say they are doing it for their kids more than likely really are. Are they also doing it for themselves, of course. This isn't the Bachelor or some other show where the ending is not going to help pay the bills.
    yourefired and Jexter like this.

When I was growing up, we were very poor. My mother was a single mother and did her best, but we didn't have a lot. I consider that I had a wonderful childhood because my mother was THERE with me and not off somewhere pursuing a "dream." She had an opportunity once to go with a friend to Nashville and try to make it in the industry - and chose not to go. To my knowledge she did not regret it or resent my sister and I for keeping her from it. And yes, she did talk to us about it, but there was no bitterness. There are many ways to get yourself out of a dead end job. I did it by going to school and working hard. I don't begrudge anyone trying to make a life using their talent - I just get aggravated when they harp on doing it for their kids. And there really is no way of knowing whether choosing this path is a "better life" or not. Don't they get a million dollars if they win the bachelor? (I don't watch it). If so, that would pay a few bills I would think.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

I think you're confusing The Bachelor with Survivor. Back on topic... When someone says they're doing it for their kid, what I dislike is it's usually because they want something without putting a lot of effort in, like winning a lottery. If it's said by someone who's paid their dues, e.g. singing in dive bars for years, then I don't dislike it.

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    I get very turned off by anyone who says they are doing it for their kids. No they aren't, they're doing it for themselves. If they cared about the kids, they would STAY HOME with them and raise them.
    Omg this statement is ridiculous! There is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to better yourself and your career. Doing so will benefit your kids. Plenty of parents have to travel for work and more days than what this competition will take. So do you also think consultants or baseball scouts or sales people who are on the road nearly 200 days a year are selfish and don't care about their kids. My father was a road warrior when I was growing up and true he missed a lot. However he could not make the same money staying at home. It didn't mean he didn't care about his kids. It meant that he wanted to provide for us and give us the best he could. These contestants are no different.
    Last edited by yourefired; 02-07-2016 at 09:53 AM.
    sclilred1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by yourefired View Post
    Omg this statement is ridiculous! There is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to better yourself and your career. Doing so will benefit your kids. Plenty of parents have to travel for work and more days than what this competition will take. So do you also think consultants or baseball scouts or sales people who are on the road nearly 200 days a year are selfish and don't care about their kids. My father was a road warrior when I was growing up and true he missed a lot. However he could not make the same money staying at home. It didn't mean he didn't care about his kids. It meant that he wanted to provide for us and give us the best he could. These contestants are no different.
    I don't have a problem with her saying she is doing it for her family, the problem I have is that the show keeps pushing this whole single motherhood thing as if this woman i the only one to have ever gone through that circumstance. It harkens back to the whole Danny Gokey season how they kept going on & on about the death of his wife. Sad...absolutely....but enough gets to be enough.
    ibot2much likes this.

FORT Fogey

I was disappointed in AI in that they kept to the same pattern of spending too much time on certain kids and none on others. Can you imagine what it must be like for those kids to have gone as far as they did and were never...or almost never seen on TV. When they did that brief clip of saying no to the ones that they were not keeping, it was pretty clear they were no since I didn't recognize a lot of them.
    navybelle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    I was disappointed in AI in that they kept to the same pattern of spending too much time on certain kids and none on others. Can you imagine what it must be like for those kids to have gone as far as they did and were never...or almost never seen on TV. When they did that brief clip of saying no to the ones that they were not keeping, it was pretty clear they were no since I didn't recognize a lot of them.
    In seasons past the issue has always been that we get to the voting rounds & it would be the first time we had seen some of the kids while others had been shown a lot & had the advantage of a built in fanbase already. I believe they got rid of that with the way they handled it this time. I would almost bet that the final 24 were shown on an almost equal basis. The kids they didn't show, weren't going to make it to the Top 24 anyway, as they knew since the top 24 has been known for quite sometime.

FORT Fogey

I will be inteersted in seeing the faces of the top 24 to see if I recognize all of them. You may have watched more closely than I did during the last few shows---

FORT Fogey

Regarding the "doing it for my kid" vs. "doing it for myself" debate...

But first....can I just say that referring to someone as "the black girl" comes off really, really poorly in my book. Referring to the woman with a toddler (or her name for that matter) would do the trick just fine. I don't want to identify/know people based on skin color.

As to the debate, seems everyone is right. The woman is doing it for herself, but she's also doing it for her daughter. And yes, since she doesn't have time or means to sing in clubs she's doing it without the work others put into it (not that she's not working) by virtue of being on the show. I'm sure she gets that as much as everyone else does.

I have no problem with someone taking a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity like this for whatever reason. I don't care who it's for and I don't care how hard they've worked at it. A golden opportunity comes along and seems like the responsible thing to do is to take it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast