09-17-2004, 02:11 PM #121
Wishing for spring
Hey touque!!! Good to "see" you again!!!!!
09-17-2004, 02:25 PM #122
macktheknife - Yeah to your whole post. I'll be right there at the head of the line with you buying Theresa's cd. And I hope the True Colours duet is on it - man what a tearjerker. I love those two kids. Another site is talking about an interview with Theresa where she hints very strongly about the duet coming out sooner than later.
Brandy - I could surprisingly listen to more of her, if I didn't have to look at her :rolleyes Shallow, I know, but she just bugs me. And Manoah, ugh, don't get me started. Skanky, just skanky.
Josh, well, that's just about the only sentiment we don't share. He's better than I am at singing, but sure not of the same calibre as the top 5 or 6. Altho he seems to have a not bad voice, and maybe some good vocal training would help him.
Word to the Elena analysis - Great voice, but save those diva moments, girl. I only really liked her when she dialled it down on Lightfoot night - that was great.
Theresa's Good Mother - brilliant! I think she, as well as the whole audience, almost lost it on the mother shot. I so hope she can get her throat healed up and that she didn't do it any permanent damage with this show.
Kalan - this kid just has so much going for him. Just love him to bits. You know, if they took out at least a third of that song, he could almost make something out of it, but it is such a downer for what should be a joyous moment. Just leave a couple of heartfelt verses in there and give him a bunch of glory notes to shine on and it might be bearable.
All in all, a wonderful night. I'm so glad I taped it so I can watch over & over again.
09-17-2004, 07:07 PM #123
Did anyone else notice Jacob standing with his arms crossed in the background while Kalan was singing after he'd been announced the winner? Maybe I was just seeing things.
09-17-2004, 07:44 PM #124
Ah that's just Jacob's stance. He was always like that. I believe Maz attended the finale and said that he ran onto the stage during the commercial break and gave Theresa and Kalan a good luck kiss. Jacob's a good kid.
Originally Posted by pickupgirl
09-18-2004, 02:18 AM #125
Some thoughts on a great finale which made up for the lackluster Top 2 show...
* I loved all the group numbers and wish they did more. With the scant amount of time to practise all the songs and choreography (especially Kalan and Theresa, who also had to practise for the previous night's competitive show), these kids have demonstrated over and over just what wonderful performers they are. I reallly hope they do a tour; I'd certainly go see them.
* Brandy has a beautiful voice which she didn't have much opportunity to show us due to her early exit. I'm glad the group numbers highlighted her talent to a wider audience.
* Don't know why so many people knock Manoah. She might not be your cup o' tea but I feel she undeniably has talent. Her song choices weren't the best but the performances weren't terrible, imo, just compared poorly to the originals, which is always a risk you take when you pick songs done by strong vocalists in the diva category. Much was also made of her lack of chest support. I re-watched her segments several times to see if her bust was distracting at all and frankly, I didn't see what all the fuss was about.
* Joshua impressed me more during the group numbers than he did during the competition. He really is a wonderful singer and stage performer. There's a good reason he was chosen to start off the first group song; aside from Jacob, he's the one with the most natural stage presence and movements.
* I was surprised to find I actually like Kaleb's moments. His "Sundown" was way different from Jacob's and Gordon Lightfoot's original but I liked it! Maybe he's starting to grow on me, though I'm not sure I would be able to listen through an entire album of him though. But small doses of Kaleb work well.
* Elena has forever shattered the perception that Asian singers have pretty but weak voices. AI3's Jasmine Trias and Camille Velasco would kill to possess her power. Someone thought Elena was not being herself. I dunno...having followed her through the competition, I get the sense she's pretty genuinely wacky and expressive. When's she too toned down is when she's not being herself, imo.
* Jason never sounded better (aside from Canadian Railroad Trilogy). His forte seems to be country rock or folk rock. Put a guitar in his hands and he's in his element, I think.
* Jacob and Shane... you Abbotsford boys rock! Your rendition of "Under Pressure" was one of many great moments in season 2. Maybe one of these days we'll see Hedley in concert with special guest Shane Wiebe to perform "Under Pressure". Who needs Bowie and Mercury when we've got Hoggard and Wiebe?
* Kalan and Theresa... what can I add? Beautiful reprises of "Nature Boy" and "Good Mother", and an enchanting "True Colors" duet. Their hard work and dedication shone through with all the practice they must've had to put in for all the group, duet, and solo numbers. And Kalan, you've made a schmaltzy, cheesy song into something that showed real emotional depth and for that alone, you deserve to win Canadian Idol.
Congratulations to all! You've done Canada proud!
09-18-2004, 02:36 AM #126
I really like his voice too. Unfortunately my wife pointed out during the top 2 performances that Kalan needs to learn stagecraft because as he sings he constantly moves like this:
Originally Posted by EvaLaruefan
1. Take two robotic steps forward
2. Take two robotic steps back
Now every time I see him sing, that's all I can notice - I have to stop listening to my wife...
09-18-2004, 03:35 AM #127
OHHHH Misterhyper... That's the funniest thing I've read all night.
*picks self off of floor and wipes away tears *
09-18-2004, 07:31 PM #128
One tough customer...
Did you check out the one-armed outfit that she wore during the first number? Hard to miss the "action" going on there...!
Originally Posted by Remus Lupin
09-18-2004, 07:48 PM #129
I did... many times. And I reiterate, I fail to see what all the fuss was about. You see far more egregious bosoms on prime time tv, on MTV/MuchMusic, etc. It was a non-factor for me.
Originally Posted by sooz
09-18-2004, 07:58 PM #130
Remus - have you heard the word "skanky"? Well, that's Manoah, and she can try till the cows come home to be sexy with some of those outfits and her posturing, but if you gotta try that hard, it ain't gonna happen
Originally Posted by Remus Lupin
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.