I agree with pretty much everyone else tonight.
Jacob - vocal performance was great!! but I had to close my eyes to hear it. The performance was way OTT! Tone it down, Jacob. You're at risk of becoming a caricature of yourself. A-
Theresa - looks and sounded pretty. Wish she'd picked a better song. B
Jason - My husband and I spent this performance laughing and trying to figure out how he can sing by moving his teeth but not his lips - that ain't good. C+
Kaleb - didn't like him as much as last week but like him a whole lot better than I ever thought I would B+
Elena - Wrong song to oversing C+
Joshua - I like Joshua and this WAS better than last week but this performance was like every high school kid's rock star wannabe fantasy. C+
Manoah - okay, this one just made me cringe - (my husband liked it though!) C-
Kalan - what can I say? best of the night A+
Shane - karaoke anyone? C
Bottom 3 prediction - Shane Manoah Joshua with Manoah gone (I hope)
caught by the window
1. Jacob - nailed Bowie... I would have been dissappointed if he didn't Bowie himself up as he did :p He's awesome.. already looking forward to next week
2. Theresa - I was expecting a LOT more from her... she's really cute though... and she has a great voice, but last week was better.. I was all like "WOW" last week..
3. Jason - he's starting to fall into a schtick, and it's getting boring.. he's still alright though
4. Kaleb - "why does he pick songs I love and do that to them?" <- omg.. you think like I think!!! :p I hate him more every week
5. Elena - last week's performance was better... but I loved how she didn't just sing the song "the same old way" .. I guess I didn't care as much about that since I don't think I've ever heard the original... she's still my favourite though
6. Joshua - by far one of my favourite songs... the second he walked out and they said he was singing U2.. I automatically thought.. wee, Kurt Nilsen anyone? .. he was ok though.. did the song justice.. odd he was allowed to sing it though... considering U2 are Irish and not even part of the whole commonwealth, let alone want to be considered a part of Britain. Great to hear a U2 song though.
7. Manoah - Marylin Manson sung this better, 'nuff said... heck, even the Eurythmics sang it better..
8. Kalan - loved it.. one of my all time favourite songs... and he so nailed it.. awesome
9. Shane - meh..
[QUOTE=MasterOfPuppets]1. Jacob - nailed Bowie... I would have been dissappointed if he didn't Bowie himself up as he did :p He's awesome.. already looking forward to next week
One of the male judges (can't remember whch) made some sort of comment jokingly that he needed to add one thing but they wouldn't talk about it then. I figured this must have something to do with David Bowie, but I don't know what. It was one of those insider joke type of things and I'm on the outside. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Tonight was interesting - I thought it wasn't as good as last week, but the weaker performers stepped up and the stronger performers didn't do their best. Makes my predictions even more difficult.
Kalan was outstanding, the only one who blew me away.
I loved Jacob's performance, but I wonder if I'll keep loving his cliche performances. After a while, I might want to know who he really is.
Sigh, Theresa, singing a song for your mother is NOT the way to win a competition. I love her voice and her talent, but I wonder if she's got a good read on what Canadian audiences like.
Shane improved dramatically, and I think he'll have saved himself from the bottom three - heck he wasn't even there last week and he should have been.
Josh should go, but his song choice and make-over will likely save him - this week. I'm a sucker for U2 too (but not enough to vote for him).
I think Jason is in danger. Singing in the beginning, and sounding the same as he always does, he's a bit forgetable.
Kaleb confuses me. I loved his song choice, and I know he's talented, but in the end I did not like it.
Manoah does not have a strong enough voice for Sweet Dreams.
Elena sounded off key to me in parts. Didn't like it at all.
Overall though, I have to say that there is no one that I really don't like. I'm happy with this season's talent.
Well, just my take, but I assumed he was speaking of a prosthetic device or insert to increase the apparent size of his manly parts. The outfit was awfully tight and he didn't have a lot to fill it out I don't think. Interested to see how others took it.
Originally Posted by guide54
Thanks for clarifying! I was wondering what Zack meant, but that makes perfect sense.
Originally Posted by charfred
What was up tonight? Last week was a whole ton more listenable. I sort of wish they had limited the British Invasion to one or two decades. Would have liked to hear Lulu or the Beatles or the Yardbirds.
Jacob - not my favourite performance vocally (loved Only the Good Die Young, and I loathe Billy Joel), but okay
Theresa - love Herman's Hermits, did not love that. I like her enough ordinarily (though she breathes audibly while inhaling/singing), but that did nothing for me
Jason - well, yes, same old, but the schtick he does, he does well. Works for Burton Cummings He's got a good voice. You could hear him on the radio, no problem.
Kaleb - what are the judges on? Why does flat not matter when it comes to him. I really do not like this guys voice. Nails on a blackboard. Samey in an annoying way.
Elena - well, I thought she was the best female vocalist tonight. I like her voice and her emoting.
Josh - feel for the guy, wants it, won't get it. Could see him appealing to a country crowd (visually). Not bad, just meh.
Manoah - Not quite good enough.
Kalan - Now I saw Eric Burdon do this (and listened to the Animals obsessively as a teenager) and this boy is good. Looks good, emotes good, sings good. Sass is right. Winner here. Everyone else go home please.
Shane - nope. Looks just like Jim Carey and yet keeps looking into the camera in an "aren't I sexy way". As he looks so much like J.C. it comes across as ironic. Very odd. Okay voice.
Kalan and Jacob are the real pros. I'm becoming a believer in Kaleb. Theresa, bring back the glasses and the cool jazz chick attitude. Wasn't crazy about Elena, but she has a strong voice. I agree with those of you putting Joshua, Shane and Manoa in the bottom 3. I don't care for Shane's cheesy stylings, but Joshua was awful tonight! In my opinion that performance should doom him. He tried too hard to change it up, and I didn't believe anything about it.
Foster Your Inner Kacey
Woah, don't saddle him with that quite yet! He may have the swooning teen beat thing going, but I don't think he's been placed on the touched my soul pseudo-messiah pedestal that Clay fans have chained him to.
Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
Anyway, I thought tonight was pretty weak, though the girls all looked a lot more attractive this week.Here's my take:
1. Kalan - He cheated! He already knows all the judges loved it when he sung it the first time. Seriously, though, that performance highlighted all his strengths. As much as I like Theresa, I just can't imagine this kid not winning. Easily the best of the night. It wasn't even competitive.
2. Elena - I enjoyed her energy, especially given some of the other lackluster performances. Some of it sounded a bit shouty.
3. Joshua - Good song choice. Did well, but it highlighted his limitations. I couldn't stop thinking how much incredibly better Kurt Nilson was.
4. Kaleb - I'm starting to want to like him and I did like what he did tonight in general, but I just can't take that insane amount melisma or riffs that he adds. He can't keep it still for one nanosecond. It's to the point where it would literally be hard for him to add more. And all of his angry expressions are a little offputting. His voice and style kinda reminds me of Guy, the kid who won australian idol. And it's nice to see his personality come out a little more these last two episodes now that he's apparantly retired his bong for the time being.
The next three are pretty much tied, my opinion.
5. Jacob - OK, wtf was that? I haven't been that incredulously dumbfounded since I saw that Michael Jackson morphing video during that plastic surgery documentary last year. A blue satin jumpsuit with, as Lobes would say, a Mr. T starter kit and blue eyeshadow? Wow. I think he may have sang also, but I can only take so much sensory input at a time. I'm not positive where Farley was going with the extra prop thing. If you know, please don't tell me. All in all, his performance was interesting, but it didn't realy work for me.
5. Theresa - What a horrible song choice. That song could be sung by a death rock band and it would still sound like muzak. She looked nice without the glasses -- though I think it works either way -- and had the cutsey thing going, but that performance was really uninspired. She took the criticisms like a champ though.
5. Manoah - It was fun. I like the song choice. During the first half, her voice barely stood out from the background, but there was a couple of cool moments at the end.
8. Shane - This was one of my favorite songs on Fantasia, and I was hoping he could give a little bit of that flavor. No such luck. And what's with Mulroney and the crappy Shane defenses? Last week, it was "what's more terrible, his performance or that shirt?" and, this week, it's "you know what's bland? When anybody other than you sings that song." That's just sorry.
9. Jason - What I wouldn't give to be able to slap a person through my TV screen. This guy annoys the crap out of me, and I'm not a person who's usually annoyed. If he squeezed that cheesy grin on his face any harder, I think my head would have exploded. On a positive note, John Dore is more annoying.
Tonight was a really good episode, I'm impressed. The top nine other than, Joshua, Jason and Manoah are really good. I have to admit, I liked Jacob tonight for the first time, he reminded me of the lead singer in The Phantom of The Paradise, an obscure 70's movie about glam rock wherein the lead singer is outrageous and of questionable sexual orientation. This is the first time I've liked him. It's funny how both Shane and Jacob are from Abbotsford, home of extreme right wing conservatives, Born Again Christians, serial killers and grow-ops, like their the two sides of the same coin. I think they'd make a great couple. Teresa was great as usual, and yes, she did sound a little like Karen Carpenter, but so what. Karen Carpenter was underated in her time as well, and Teresa's voice has such a purity to it, I think I'd actually buy her album. Kalan looks like he stepped out of a Botticelli painting, facially he belongs in another time, but what a voice. I think he'd win World Idol, so I'm hoping he wins, he chose one of my all time favorite songs too. I still get a little irked at the judges for being, maybe a bit anti-commercial, Shane deserved higher praises tonight, as much as I don't want to like him, I do.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.