How successful will this group be?
Everyone makes such a big deal about who is going to get into this groupÖbut is getting into this group even that big a deal? Personally, I see this group doomed for failure for several reasons:
1) The Thompson sisters- I have nothing against them, as they are obviously talented. But the spotlight is always going to be on them- itís always going to seem like the ďThompson Sisters Group.Ē Also, even though they sing well, I donít think that they have the type of voices that are going to translate well to recording. They have definitely benefited from this competition being on TV.
2) Lack of fan support- To begin with, this show doesnít have a large fan base. And those who watch the show arenít necessarily music buyers.
3) No MTV or radio support- Where are they going to get the exposure to build the fan base?
4) Itís based off a reality TV competition- Iím not sure if people realize thisÖbut eventually these Juniors are going to have to go into the recording studio. People should be voting for the singers who could be good recording artists, not the kids who look cutest on stage.
5) When was the last time a group of kids under age 13 actually sold records? Another Bad Creation? Immature? I think normally, the music buying public is looking for teenagers a little bit older (i.e. New Edition, B2K) to really take seriously.
If I were a contestant not named Thompson, Iím not sure if I would even want to make this group. It may be better for these kids careers to get the exposure through the show, not make the group, and use the show as a stepping stone.
How many of you actually plan on purchasing the Juniors album? How many of you really expect the Juniors album to be good? Or for the group to have any longevity?
Well, I Personally Am Going To Buy Their Album The Day It Comes Out, Cuz Every1 has and awesome voice, so Whoever Makes the Band, it won't matter It'll still be Good, I think with whoever make it in, anyway, I'm looking forward to their First single And Album!!!
I'll buy it.... probably.... I'm not expecting any great longevity from the group though.
I doubt that I would buy it unless they get a super good song/songs..
I thought one of the original ideas was to feature the kids in a Kids Tv show....as the producers from 19 did with their S-club group...
Given the bad reviews of J2K movie, and all the other things the 19 entertainment guys are doing, that tv deal might get scratched...JMO..without a tv deal or something I dont think this group will last long
I also agree that the Thompson girls taking up 2/5 of the group put it at a musical disadvantage. I am not sure how well some of the others will blend with them
S Club 8 has been successful for a number of reasons.
1. They were selected by music producers who used an already established pop group, S Club 7 as their judges.
2. They were judged on singing AND dancing talent.
3. The televised search tapped into the S Club 7 fan base, guaranteeing an audience, and giving them name recognition.
4. They had a guaranteed spot on a successful tour, instead of having to generate ticket sales on their own.
5. They had 2 other TV shows, all about the tour, who they were, how they learned the dance numbers, etc.
6. They had their own television special, and appeared on other shows about S Club 7.
7. They pattern their music and videos after what has been proven successful for S Club 7.
The only thing that 19E has used from this successful pattern is to try and tap into the American Idol name. That worked to get them high ratings in the beginning, but they have lost 40% of their viewers because the show is not like AI.
Perhaps after the voting is over and the group is selected they will turn American Juniors into a show about the making of the band and try to use that to generate the huge amounts of publicity they will need to launch the group. That might work to sell a video to the home market. Getting less than a few million people to vote for the members of the group has been easy. Getting a few hundred thousand to actually spend money on them will be much more difficult.
Last edited by zippy; 07-12-2003 at 05:40 AM.
I think the success of the group will depend a lot on the fans. If there is a lot of support for the group, it could go from CD's to television, to promotional tours and merchandise.
If the fans forget about it once the show is over, then I would say the group may fall by the wayside.
However, I think this is a good opportunity to fill a void in the market if Fox and 19E play their cards right.
There aren't many pop-groups out there for kids 6 thru 12 and trust me, they buy a lot of CD's (ok...there parents buy the CD's for them )
Disney consistently sells tons of CD's and soundtracks yearly, as well as many other childrens' entertainers. However, there aren't too many good pop-groups marketed for a younger audience.
Statistically, by the time most kids become teenagers at 13, they are already in to main stream rock, pop, techno, rap, etc, in the well-known adult market.
So I think they need to really promote this group to much younger kids.
When it really comes down to it...you just never know what groups are going to flop and which ones will soar to stardom.
Using something like S Club 7 as a model for this group doesn't hold, only because they weren't selected by call-in votes. But a TV show with the American Juniors in the cast sounds interesting, only because it would be so crazy.
i agree with everything TheTruth said putting the thompson sisters in the group will set a bad vibe for the start of the group, and if they want a s club 7 type a group an all girl group will not do, and the only guy in the top ten that would make a good group member is AJ.
I know I'll buy all of they're CDs. I hope they become big.
Everyone is so sure that they won't do well, but what if they do? Past experiences don't make the future.
nicely put trunks, but with both thompson sisters in the group form the beginning it doesnt look very good.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.