Making the Band: Who Fits in Best With Taylor and Tori
This whole process is odd because we are voting individuals into a group situation, and I hope that American realizes that. Assuming that the Thompson sisters have been chosen as the foundation of the group, 3 others have to be chosen to COMPLEMENT them. And I think that the Thompsons are great "kid artists." They don't try to act too grown up...and are "great entertainers with passable singing voices." With that in mind, I have chosen who would be best for a "kid group." You can see my individual rankings in the “Cumulative Power Rankings” thread, but here’s my rankings of who would be best in a group with Taylor and Tori:
1) Chantel- I do think that in any group situation, there has to be a leader…and amongst this group, I think that there are two voices that really stand out: Lucy and Chantel. Although I think Lucy has a slightly better voice, Chantel has an amazing voice as well and she just fits in a lot better with the Thompson sisters. There is a fun side to her personality and she comes off more like “mature for a 13 year old” than a “13 year old trying to act like she’s 20.”
2) Danielle- Her voice is so perfect for a group- she has this beautiful soprano that stands out but doesn’t overpower. In the recording studio, they’re going to layer different vocal tracks, and when you layer Danielle’s voice with Chantel’s voice, I think you’ll get beautiful harmonies. And I really think that the IDEAL situation would be just a FOUR person group: Taylor, Tori, Chantel, Danielle.
3) AJ- In this case, my group would be: Taylor, Tori, Chantel, Danielle, AJ. I don’t like the idea of having only one guy, but this show could very well end up in a 4 girls and 1 guy situation, so they’ll have to find a way to make it work. It’s going to sound much better on recording (having the option to blend in a guy voice) that it is going to look on stage. Chantel mentioned that she likes to sing duets…I would love to hear her sing duets with AJ. If AJ does make it into the group, they become much more marketable with all the teenage girl fans that he’s going to attract.
4) Chauncey- I have a feeling that if he ends up in the group, he’s going to be seen as “the girls’ little brother.” There is just something that is so innocent about him that I don’t think he’s quite ready for this. I really like him, but he needs time to mature as a vocalist and as a young man. However, if they did end up in a "4 girl and 1 guy" situation, I hope that Fox would extend the show one more week, but only allow the remaining two boys to perform, so we could end up with a "4 girl and 2 guy" group: Taylor, Tori, Chantel, Danielle, AJ, Chauncey.
5) Morgan- He’s the one who I don’t think would work well with the others. He really craves the spotlight and I could see him being a selfish performer. He seems like such a nice kid, but when he gets on stage, he’s just always oversinging, overperforming, and I just don’t like the vibe that I get from him. If he can tone down the whole act though, he's the most talented of the 3 boys.
6) Katelyn- She’s interesting…because I like her much better in a group situation than she deserves based on her performances. I don’t think that you can have a group with the spotlight on all 5 people…and I think she would do a good job of blending in well both vocally and personality-wise.
7) Jordan- I actually don’t think she’s bad as the 5th voice in the group, and her personality and passable singing voice actually complement Taylor and Tori very well. But she’s just not as talented as the others and I don’t think it would be fair to place her in the group. As fun as she is to watch, she’s not nearly as enjoyable to listen to.
8) Lucy- This is tough…because I am a big fan of Lucy- you can see my rankings where I have her #2 overall. But I don’t see her being in a “kid” group. She doesn’t have that playful side of her personality (to blend in with the Thompsons) and her voice is so overpowering that it would be tough to harmonize- she would probably need a lot of solos within the group. At the same time, I don’t think she’s ready to be a solo artist like people have been saying. I think that for her to do the type of music that she wants, she needs more time to experience life. I wouldn’t be worried about her if she doesn’t get into the group- with that voice, she’s going to do big things.
These rankings have very little to do with the quality of their performances. It has more to do with “X-factors” such as: 1) tone of voice, 2) ability to blend in with a group, 3) overall potential, 4) maturity.
This group actually could be a pretty decent group if America votes people in based on their ability to fit in with a group. But if they don't think about who has already made it in and continue to vote independently of previous results, the group idea could be a disaster.
I agree that there should really only be one older girl, since we know both Thompsons are in, but I think Lucy's better. As we've seen, she's not necessarily a natural dancer; neither are Chantel or Katelyn, but she has the better voice & more appeal.
Chantel tried to act more like a kid this week, and bombed.
Lucy did more of a pop song last week, (didn't a girl group do a cover of I'm Gonna Make You Love Me recently?) and won a lot of people over. Lucy has shown she can do ballads and more uptempo pop songs, while Chantel has only shown that she can belt out some nice vocals in slower songs.
Right now, I almost see the group being Tori/Taylor/Chauncey/AJ/Chantel, but I really don't think that's the best option.
See, the thing is, I think Taylor (can't say the same about Tori) can be a little more mature than Jordan and Chauncey, yet still brings the youth appeal to the group. Meaning, I can see Taylor fitting in well as the "cute" part of an older group (gets sort of ruined if Tori's involved) or in a younger group - so why not just go with the talent.
I do think you brought up some good points...but...
Originally Posted by YeahYeah
America has already decided not to go with the talent. They already voted Taylor in and Tori is a shoo-in. So now, for the sake of the group, I think the 3 people who best complement the Thompsons should be voted in, not necessarily the 3 most talented.
Initially, I would have liked both Chantel and Lucy to be in the group together...and but having two more serious, more mature, more powerful vocalists is going to be really difficult to blend with the Thompson kids.
There are 2 reasons I think Chantel would be a better fit than Lucy:
1) Her vocal tone- Lucy's voice is so powerful and so distinct that it's going to work against her in this group setting. I can't see it blending in well with the others. The judges have also noted that vibratto doesn't work well- Lucy has the most vibratto of the Top 10. Lucy needs those long vocal runs to really shine, and within a group, she's not going to be able to find places for those runs.
Chantel also has a powerful voice, but it has a much cleaner sound. It's actually perfect for a group- it is distinct, yet blends well with other voices.
2) Personality- Chantel has shown so much more personality than Lucy...I loved her comment about how she loves to "eat TV dinners for breakfast." It seems like Chantel really is just enjoying being 13, while being very mature for her age.
I don't mean to knock Lucy's personality, she has personality- but it seems like she's more serious and the more quiet, deeper type. I haven't really seen that "fun-loving" side of her personality. There's nothing wrong with any of this- I just don't see Lucy blending in with Taylor and Tori.
I agree with you that Chantel bombed this week, but I don't think it was because she was trying to be more like a kid...I think she was a victim of a bad song choice that really didn't flatter her voice. I think with a better song choice, we could definitely see that fun, youthful side of her personality come out.
The only point that I'm trying to make is that given that Taylor and Tori are the foundation of the group, I think Chantel would best complement them.
Wow, you all make good points. I think Chauncey would complement the group as would Chantel and AJ.
Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun
Wow, for the first time today I agree with someone. Finally, I get to stop
Just the thought of selecting a group with Tori and Taylor as the "foundation" is depressing.
Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun
Actually, after "Proud Mary" I can kinda see how that would happen. She was pretty good, and everyone else, with about two or three exceptions, was pretty bad. Still, could be worse. What if Canyon was the first person voted into the group?
AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
What if Canyon was the first person voted into the group?
Runs screaming from the room
Let's see it I have this right. America gets the group off to a bad start and we're left to get it back on the right course. And so we now have to stop voting for those that give the best performances each night, only because that performer might not mesh with Taylor and Tori. If that's the case, they should make the Thompsons judges and advise us what to do.
Originally Posted by TheTruth
I agree with some of your points; however, I think to say "America has already decided to not base their decison on talent" is a bit far. They are all talented, and it's not just vocal ability that makes a person a great entertainer.... JMO.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.