+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: New Look for Idol post Season 12?

New Look for Idol post Season 12?

Insider: 'American Idol' to Axe All 4 Judges as Part of Massive Makeover (Exclusive) | TheWrap TV
    "American Idol" is going nuclear for Season 13.

None of the four judges on the singing competition will be asked to return next season, an individual with knowledge of Fox's plans told The Wrap. Longtime producer Nigel Lythgoe is expected to get the boot. And despite reports to the contrary, Fox isn't even considering bringing former judge Jennifer Lopez back as a lifesaver for next season.

Like we said: nuclear.

"All four are gone," the insider told TheWrap. "They feel they've lost their core audience and they want it back."

Driven by this belief and the need to attract younger viewers, Fox is set to make major on-air changes to "Idol," the most notable of which will be an entirely new judging panel. New judges pop icon Mariah Carey, rapper Nicki Minaj and country star Keith Urban won't be back. Even original judge Randy Jackson won't survive the blood bath this time around.

A Fox spokesperson declined to comment for this story.

All four judges have options to return for another season, but Fox won't be picking them up, according to the knowledgeable individual, who said: "No more big checks for divas."

The network has resolved to stop paying the huge salaries it has been shoveling out for its big name talent, i.e. Carey's reported $18 million package, Minaj's $12 million salary and former judge Jennifer Lopez's $15 million.

The show's format will also change. Its look will be redesigned and the dated tribute nights will be a thing of the past. But the show's trademark audition episodes will continue.

Behind the scenes, Fox Broadcasting chairman Kevin Reilly is charged with "fixing Idol." And one of the first changes will occur at the top of the food chain: Longtime executive producer Lythgoe is expected to be replaced. What that means for the show's producers, FremantleMedia, remains to be seen.

Fox's meltdown has everything to do with the talent competition's declining viewership. Its ratings are already down 22 percent this season and it hit a series low for ratings last Thursday, when it attracted only 11 million viewers and a 2.4 rating/7 share in the ad-coveted 18-49 demographic. The ratings slide is especially problematic during May Sweeps, where ratings numbers are used to dictate advertising rates.

Viewing has been in decline for several seasons now. At its height during Season 6, "Idol" attracted about 30 million viewers an episode.

So, why not just cancel the show?

"Idol" is still a huge revenue generator for Fox, bringing in $836.4 million in ad revenue last year, according to Kantar Media. Plus, it has nothing to replace it. Simon Cowell's "The X Factor" is far from being "Idol's" heir apparent after failing to meet ratings expectations over its first two seasons. It, too, is undergoing another round of changes for Season 3, with pop star Britney Spears and record executive L.A. Reid not returning.

"Idol's" problems are compounded by the success of NBC's "The Voice." Currently airing its fourth season, the show recently crossed a milestone when it beat "Idol" (and everyone else on the small screen for that matter) in both total viewers and the advertiser-coveted 18-49 demographic. Additionally, "The Voice" took "Idol's" spot in the Emmy race last year, replacing it among the nominees in the Outstanding Reality Competition category.

Fox and Fremantle declined comment for this story, as did a representative for Keith Urban.

Representatives for Randy Jackson, Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Sharon Waxman contributed to this report.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: New Look for Idol post Season 12?

I'm not surprised at all. In fact, I have hoped they would clean house and get all new judges. They only need 3, IMO.

The Voice may be doing well with ratings, but I think it's due to their coaches. The coaches are really good and the talent is great. HOWEVER, The Voice has yet to produce a real star. I'm amazed the coaches have so much confidence and boast of big things for the winner, since they don't have much of a track record. I prefer it over AI, but, they need to step it up with promoting their winners instead of just running their mouth. AI has a good track record.

They lost their core audience, yup .To late AI, too late
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Randy has just announced he's leaving. A preemptive strike perhaps.

One name not mentioned was Ryan Seacrest. Somehow, I don't think it would truly be Idol without him.
    NFL1, NCLurker and Shoepie like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    One name not mentioned was Ryan Seacrest. Somehow, I don't think it would truly be Idol without him.
    One article I read said all signs point to Ryan staying ..... and that there will probably be a "tribute" to Randy on the Finale.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Am I the only one who is bored to death with all the ballads? I seriously believe this is the reason why people are tuning out, and add to that you have to listen to them for two hours. People want some variety in their music, and Idol has been giving us two hours of ballads week after week since since Vegas. The Voice at least is giving us some vocal varieties; AI judges seem to think everyone needs to sing like Whitney Houston or Mariah Carey. It's beginning to seem self-indulgent of the AI singers to belt out all their vocal gymnastics on every friggin song. Enough already!

That said I like the judges; just find a way to get the contestants to bring some upbeat songs for a change.
    NFL1, Misty8723, Shoepie and 2 others like this.

Yes! Where was the rocker this season? I hope the shakeup also looks at who they put through. Fans have argued that it needs to be singers, but performers make the show interesting. When you get both in one person - wowza. They missed that this season.

They might want to sit back and realize their "core audience" has aged along with the show. How many young people are tuning in to it these days (let alone voting)? I really don't know. I realize I don't fall into the demographic that the advertisers target (what? people over 49 don't buy anything? really?).

This is what I think they could do to make the show better:
    1. Quit with the deranged / deluded people on the audition shows and show us only the people with actual talent.
    2. Stop bringing contestants on who they think might cause a controversy or who they can make their whipping boy/girl
    3. Give us THREE judges who are knowlegeable, personable, get along with each other, and don't have to make it all about them.
    4. Make sure the final 10 are a DIVERSE mix of equally talented people, so that we never have the garbage about someone sticking around longer than "more talented" people.
    5. We don't need a two hour show for the entire season. They used to have two hour shows only for the finale - go back to that, or at least start reducing it after the contestants start leaving.
    NFL1, Shoepie and ibot2much like this.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

In the after show interview with the local Fox station, Angie said she would like the judges to be former idols because they understand what the contestants go through during the work week. When she left, the interviewer followed up with a couple of names - Kelly and Carrie.

Now that there are 12 seasons in the can, are there enough truly qualified talent judges in the pool? As Jimmy reminded us last night, his company is the one who signs the contestants and will mold them as they see fit. How much of a voice should Jimmy and his producers have?
    NFL1 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast