+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: New Look for Idol post Season 12?

Re: New Look for Idol post Season 12?

Quote Originally Posted by ilja View Post
    I loved Simon on AI but did not even think about following him to X.
    I did. I dropped AI. I kept with X, but it was too loud, too much screaming. The judges ( like AI) were not very good either- plus Simon was just too nice
    NFL1 and Shoepie like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    I agreed with a lot you had to say---especially the total revamp. I am thinking , though, that their time has passed. Twelve years is a very long time in TV and they may have had their run.

I do not agree with your Simon statement. If he was so valuable to the show, he would have carried his power and prestige to the X and he didn't because he was vastly over rated by a number of people. If the majority of the people thought he was the star of the show, they would have followed him to the new show.
    The X Factor is just not a good show! And his role on XF isn't the same. The format does not allow him the crusty critiques he was free to give on AI. He even gets sweet and sappy about his group. This is very disturbing!

That is another show that needs a revamp!

And yes, I agree that 12 years is a long run and I think they are done. I do think it is possible to do a complete overhaul as I suggested but it would have to be very different. We are all tired of the format.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I did. I dropped AI. I kept with X, but it was too loud, too much screaming. The judges ( like AI) were not very good either- plus Simon was just too nice
    They were deluged with tweets about the audience being way too loud and they adjusted the sound. You stopped before they got that under control. That was so weird. The screaming was so loud you couldn't hear the hosts or judges and the screaming continued even when someone was singing a ballad. Very odd.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 05-11-2013 at 01:17 PM.

I agreed with a lot you had to say---especially the total revamp. I am thinking , though, that their time has passed. Twelve years is a very long time in TV and they may have had their run.

I do not agree with your Simon statement. If he was so valuable to the show, he would have carried his power and prestige to the X and he didn't because he was vastly over rated by a number of people. If the majority of the people thought he was the star of the show, they would have followed him to the new show.
    I have to agree to a point, I think that it was the 3 judges and the show that had the chemistry. You also have to look at the age of the show. Its not something fresh and new.

I also wonder if his X factor isn't doing that well because TV is over saturated with talent shows?
    Shoepie likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I have to agree to a point, I think that it was the 3 judges and the show that had the chemistry. You also have to look at the age of the show. Its not something fresh and new.

I also wonder if his X factor isn't doing that well because TV is over saturated with talent shows?
    There are far too many of them
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I thought the interviewer on Fox was talking through her hat ...Why Kelly and Carrie except that they are the two of the bigger AI successes and names that she knew? I am pretty sure that both of these women are in the prime of their careers and don't have time for a long stint on AI.

Jimmy and the producers have a financial stake in this so... yea, they would have much to say.
    Kelly Clarkson was a judge on Duets. I don't know if they will bring the show back. I'm glad they are replacing the judges. I actually like Keith but the rest can go, however, AI need a major overhaul and firing everyone (except Ryan who is the face of AI) is the right move. They have to start fresh. They should also change the format because obviously viewers are getting tired of the same old schtick. Randy Jackson knew that they are getting fired so he just preempted it by announcing that he's not coming back. He should have left this year actually if not for the paycheck he is getting which he can't get anywhere else. His America's Best Dance Crew show was cancelled BTW.

They should only allow 1 vote per phone number, per FB account, per Twitter account, etc. They should bring back the wild card round where America chooses not the judges (Clay Aiken comes to mind). They should give everyone equal facetime. They should stop putting through contestants with sob stories and afflictions but mediocre singers (i.e. Lazaro Arbos, Scott MacIntyre). Forget the judges save, instead let judges select who to save from the 2 least vote getters every week.

As for the judges, I like HCjr, Ben Folds, Jewel, and Sheryl Crow but if they have to think out of the box then I agree that former AI contestants would be great. The following will most likely accept the stint:

Kelly Clarkson
    Clay Aiken
    Adam Lambert
    Jennifer Hudson
    Melinda Dolittle
    Fantasia
    Taylor Hicks
    Tamyra Gray
    Latoya London
    Danny Gokey
    Kellie Pickler
    Constantine

and to make it more interesting.....Sanjaya!
    Last edited by jammyjoe; 05-11-2013 at 01:42 PM.
    NFL1 likes this.

he show's format will also change. Its look will be redesigned and the dated tribute nights will be a thing of the past. But the show's trademark audition episodes will continue.
    This is the part I like. However, I am so used to theme/tribute nights, I can't think outside that box at the moment.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe View Post

The following will most likely accept the stint:

Kelly Clarkson
    Clay Aiken
    Adam Lambert
    Jennifer Hudson
    Melinda Dolittle
    Fantasia
    Taylor Hicks
    Tamyra Gray
    Latoya London
    Danny Gokey
    Kellie Pickler
    Constantine

and to make it more interesting.....Sanjaya!

How do you know that?

I would tune in to see Clay if he were judging.

I also think the show needs a bit more of a rougher edge. This season was mainly same old same old with ballads...I always liked when people really stepped outside the norm and did something new and interesting. You couldn't wait to tune in to see what was going to come up next. But after the same theme nights year after year and hearing a Whitney song for the zillioneth time, it got boring. Add to that the judges this season and I had no interest in watching it.
    Misty8723 likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

How do you know that?
    based on a combination of their personalities and stints they have been involved in. They have been very active post idol and some of them were even featured recently on AI too. That being said I forgot to include Justin Guarini. I could have included some really bad singers on the list like Jim Verraros or Nicki McKibbin but they do not illicit as much impact as Sanjaya.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe View Post
    Kelly Clarkson was a judge on Duets

They should only allow 1 vote per phone number, per FB account, per Twitter account, etc. They should bring back the wild card round where America chooses not the judges (Clay Aiken comes to mind). They should give everyone equal facetime. They should stop putting through contestants with sob stories and afflictions but mediocre singers (i.e. Lazaro Arbos, Scott MacIntyre). Forget the judges save, instead let judges select who to save from the 2 least vote getters every week.

I agree that former AI contestants would be great. The following will most likely accept the stint:

Kelly Clarkson
    Clay Aiken
    Adam Lambert
    Jennifer Hudson
    Kelly did a great job on Duets, I liked Jennifer Nettles too (NOT the male coaches)...so she should be considered. I think those above would have great advice from their experiences to share with contestants.
    Please bring judges who are not afraid to give an opinion...maybe Jimmy should also judge? Or some of the mentors who really gave good critiques - Jamie Foxx? Connick?
    Love the idea of Melissa Ethredge or someone from another genre...keep things UPBEAT! Too many churchy performances - challenge them with songs that might sell now.

+ Reply to Thread