+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: 5/1 AI 12 Top Four Redux **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 5/1 AI 12 Top Four Redux **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherLady View Post
    I agree with this. I have given all 50 of my iPad votes to Candice for the last several weeks. No more vote splitting. Candice is phenomenal.
    ugh! I split my votes last week (both my 50 and actually went to dialing on the phone for the first time in years) between Candice and Kree because I so wanted Kree to make it to top 3 and thought she was the one in jeopardy...won't do that again! Was shocked when Candice landed in bottom 2 and felt very guilty for giving some of her votes to Kree as I really hope Candice wins this. BUT if I face facts, I don't see any way that Angie won't be the winner. She has a huge fan base on both on Idol website and especially on Twitter and they mount a huge get out the vote every week. By far the majority of tweets each week are in praise of Angie....I really don't think they will change their votes or praise no matter how badly she might perform.

I've been pretty much going more by who I would like to hear on a cd this year....none of them really wow me in the performance area.

ETA: Vocally I would enjoy Candice much more in a concert (and even Kree) than I would either Angie or Amber.....just really don't enjoy either one much....
    Last edited by JenCos; 05-01-2013 at 11:48 PM.
    sparklete likes this.

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    These people are trying with their critiques to even it all up so the Angie/Kree Top 2 and Amber/Candice Bottom 2 from last week doesn't linger.

I still think Amber will be in the bottom and she is the bottom performer tonight.
    If Amber and Candice wwre still bottom 2 ... Candice absolutely outsings her.
    I do feel bad because Amber is just a kid and so emotional.

There are similarities between these women and the other female winners ... except for Angie.

Amber ... Jordin
    Candice ... Fantasia
    Kree ... Carrie

Angie ... no one I can think of ... any suggestions?

This group number is very good!
    I don't agree on your winner comparisons. I think everyone agrees with the Kree = Carrie one, but the other 2 I think are off.

I'd put Angie with Jordin because of their ages and pop potential.

I would put Candace with Kelly because they both have big voices.

I would not put any winner with Fantasia because she sounded like a screeching dying cat. None of them have that misfortune. What Fantasia did have though was a uniqueness and a presence about her which I think none of these women have.

I think the most marketable winner is Angie. Candace is vocally gifted, but so were Tamyra, LaToya, Melinda, and Frenchie. None of them have gone places. Kree is way too similar to Carrie so I can't see her having a big career. Amber has hints of early Whitney but she doesn't have the star quality Whitney had. For instance, when she was asked to answer what people didn't know about her and she chose she likes to eat "shrimp popsicles" which is something Whitney even in her most green days would never have said.

Vocally these women are all impressive, but I'm just not seeing star quality.
    Geisha Ninja Sparkle Dance
    Twirling Ninja Sparkle Dance

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    YAAAAAY Harry Connick Jr for keeping it real and bluntly telling the contestants not to pepper those standards with all sorts of silly runs. Ain't nothing wrong with straight vocals, nothing at all.
    I'm a HUGE Randy fan. I think he and yes, Paula, have been the best judges throughout all the seasons. Randy isn't very articulate, but he knows how to pick them.

But tonight, he was wrong! And he contradicted himself! He says time and time again not to put unnecessary runs in and yet he got down on Harry for doing the same thing!

I think Candice was well served by Harry's advice. I loved her performance just the way it was - thanks to Harry! Too many runs and I would gag. Kree was just nervous and suffered mostly from poor song choice.

Jimmy L. is right most of the time, I think, but Harry would be good - esp. if he got to work with the contestants each week.

Boo to American Idol for making this a battle of the judges and the mentors AND for putting a guest mentor on the spot like that. That makes no sense and just makes it awkward for all. I can't help but wonder if it was staged. Harry has been talked about as a potential judge in the past. Maybe Idol was just testing waters.

As to comparisons between Candice and Fantasia and Kree and Carrie - I don't see them at all. Candice and Fantasia are miles apart both vocally and in their stage presence. Kree and Carrie may be a bit closer but they are still different. I've not a huge Carrie Underwood fan in the same way I'm not a Jennifer Hudson fan. Both can sing - and maybe even in more powerful ways than Candice and Kree, but their performances do not evoke emotion in me. It's just sound. Candice and Kree evoke emotion for me and I prefer them (and Fantasia) to Carry and Jennifer any day of the week (having said that, I adore Carrie and Jennifer as people....these are women to look up to).

xxxxxxxx

Final note: Kudos to Candice and Amber for making old classics sound "hip and now" (to borrow a line from Will Ferrell when talking about Ryan Gossling at the Oscars one year). That music is SO good, but it needs to be done just right. I think both Candice and Amber have managed to make the old "new". Angie has done a few older songs recently but my take on it is that she only did them after seeing how well Amber did them - and then also Candice.

xxxxxxx

Final, final note: Go Candice. She is miles beyond all the others. It's interesting to see how the contestants start separating from each other as things wind down. I said before that I think it will come down to a Candice and Angie F2 and that is still what I think. I never get these things right though. All I know is I hope Candice wins. LOVE her - as a person and as a performer.
    Last edited by Jexter; 05-01-2013 at 11:52 PM.
    Debb70 likes this.

@Jexter - I agree .... Candice and Kree both touch my soul when they sing....I feel the emotion in the voice without having to look at the screen. And that I feel translates into a good listening cd
    angelic_one2002 and Jexter like this.

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by yourefired View Post
    I said before that Kree sounds too much like Carrie Underwood to be a commercial smash. Tonight she proved me right by taking on a Carrie Underwood song -- and the song Carrie sung on Idol the night everyone thought she was wearing the ugly dress to camouflage a pregnancy. Kree has the pipes to take on Carrie, but she doesn't have her looks or her charm. I think tonight so far has been a testament to how weak these 4 are compared to current superstars today.
    Yes. But Carrie wasn't any stronger than these girls
    either when she won!
    ibot2much likes this.

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker View Post
    Yes. But Carrie wasn't any stronger than these girls
    either when she won!
    Carrie had the it factor though. She was likable in a way that just made you want to hug her. That is what I think these 4 are missing.
    Misty8723 likes this.
    Geisha Ninja Sparkle Dance
    Twirling Ninja Sparkle Dance

Angie-I did not like her rendition of "Diamonds in the Sky", at all. I like that song, but she just didn't do it for me. Her second performance was better, but she still felt a bit off.

Amber- Her first song was not good, she looked so nervous and overthinking it. I agree with Nikki when she said that in the video as Amber practiced, she felt so relaxed, fun, likeable and relatable even when she forgot the lyrics, but she lost that charm when performing live. Thankfully, her second song was great, I loved it and it was cute that she and her dad and Nikki all teared up. Somehow I think the reason she's like this is because she knows that no matter how good she is, the audience won't keep her safe, which honestly, I can't see why they wouldn't. Why do people not like her? I do.

Candice- Nailed both her songs, easily the best of the night. I don't like Bruno Mars, I don't like how he sings, I don't like any of his songs, and the fact that she made one of his songs sound good is plenty to tell me how good she is.

Kree- Poor Kree had the low blow tonight. She bored me on her two performances. Excellent voice, but out of the top 4, she's to me the least relatable and I've found her personality to be rather bland during these past few weeks.

Harry Connick Jr.- Wow did I dislike this idiot. A lot! I disliked his humor and his mentoring style. I was especially annoyed at the end with what happened with Kree. Randy mentioned that Kree's song choice might've sounded better in one of the other styles it's been performed instead of the one she chose (the original one I believe), something that might've gone better with her voice and style. Connick basically accused Randy that Randy wanted Kree to sing what the judges wanted to hear and not what she wanted. Hypocrite! He pretty much did the exact same thing when he kept insisting Kree do the original song, and his justification being "she has to know the original melody" and whatever else he said was a load of baloney. She should know it, yes, but it doesn't mean she has to sing it. She could've listened to the original, then other versions, and gone with another one, but he goaded her into picking the original, and in my opinion, it didn't work for her, and the judges had the same opinion too. Gosh, this Connick guy should just fade into the obscurity of his pointless role in the "Independence Day" movie. What a hack.
    RealVoyeur likes this.

I think Candice was the best tonight followed by Kree and Amber. Did not like Angie at all tonight. I was shocked how the Judges put poor Harry on the spot. I do think Harry had a point to a degree. The problem is though they still have to put some personality into the song. The ladies needed to listen to his critique and still tailor the song to suit their vocal style. I think Candice did the best of being herself and still listening to what Harry said.

I really can't blame the girls for being emotional. I mean it is bad before any of them sung a note tonight they kind of know already who is pretty much done for thanks to the inane way voting is done on these type of shows. I love Harry I just think a couple of the girls maybe listened too much to his advice and not enough to what got them to the final four.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post

Candice- Nailed both her songs, easily the best of the night. I don't like Bruno Mars, I don't like how he sings, I don't like any of his songs, and the fact that she made one of his songs sound good is plenty to tell me how good she is.
    I couldn't tell you what Bruno Mars looks like or what songs he sings - except for this one.

Isaac's Live Lip-Dub Proposal - YouTube

I LOVE it, but mostly because it worked SO well in the video.

I only saw bits of Candice singing one of his songs and it didn't "speak" to me....

xxxxxxx

I get why some say Candice isn't as personable as some of the others, but to me, I find her completely charming and someone who I respect a great deal. She demonstrated grace, humility, determination, and hard work by getting the boot from Idol last season and coming back this year. I agree with Jimmy. I'm not sure Candice is all that educated, but I think she is smart and actually pretty articulate. And, she is beautiful. I love watching her "grow into her potential". She's working hard at all this - and succeeding. I'd rather follow her story than some one like Angie who has all the cards stacked in her favor from the beginning.

...don't get me wrong. I like Angie. She seems like a really, really great person. But, Candice's story (and music) is more interesting to me.

I think Candice won this week. I think Amber did the worst if you combine both songs. her second song was getting boring until the last half of it when she did the run. I disagree with HCjr of just doing standard songs like it should be sang, then they will just sound old and karaoke. Kree got bad advice and I agree with Randy this time that she should have used Etta James version as her reference and then worked her own style from there. She would have done so much better.

I think Angie is in no way in danger tomorrow and I think Candice will recover from last week's b2 appearance for hitting it out the ballpark this week and her fans will rally for her so I gave Kree 49 votes and 1 for Candice for good measure.
    Last edited by jammyjoe; 05-02-2013 at 04:01 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast