+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: 4/24 AI 12 Top 4 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 4/24 AI 12 Top 4 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

I am not sure what was so special about Angie last night. I mean really she did nothing awe worthy. Its like AI sent memo out "we decided to push Angie and down with Candice & Kree. So they want a current singer well limit your music choices to songs within the last 5 years. yeah I am going to have to switch to the voice permanently next season. I have had enough.
    NFL1 and Shoepie like this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Regular

Funny. I would feel that the judges are pushing Amber down our throats much more so than Angie, giving her accolades even on so-so performances. She's been practically the chosen one of JI and company. I get absolutely nothing from Amber’s performances. Good voice and all, but singers like her are a dime a dozen imho. At least with Angie's songs I do get somewhat emotionally connected. However, I do think that she is coming across as being over-enthusiastic at times in front of the camera. Candice had some really powerful performances early on, but as others said, peaked too early like Kree, so people are expecting nothing short of greatness from them week after week. All four remaining contestants have great vocal prowess, but something about their demeanor/attitudes (ranging from boring to arrogant) has made it difficult for me to warm up to them. I really miss the flamboyance/devil-may-care style of Adam Lambert from seasons past.

The judges, blah. Please kick Mariah Carey off next season, if there is one. Her long-windedness and diva style of delivering critique is almost as pain-inducing to watch/listen to as some of the performances. Nikki is more interesting as a judge than I gave her credit for initially, but even she is starting to grow repetitive. She practically gave Angie the same critique last week as this week with her "Girl, you are unbeatable behind the piano" stuff. Randy is worse, twelve seasons of AI must have made him really jaded. In place of the "yo's"and "dawgs" are the "Let me tell you man", "I don't know man I'm just not feeling it", "That's what I'm talking about!" and the inevitable "XXX is in here to win it!". Excuse me, but who's in the competition to intentionally lose it? I wish I could be earning his kind of money just to deliver those lines.

And btw, I pity the poor shark. It's been jumped once too many on this and some of the other forum threads.
    NCLurker, Shoepie and ibot2much like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
    What a mess! I just do not get what the judges are hearing. Amber is just not all that. However; Kree and Candice are not helping themselves with their song choices.

It's just so obvious what is going on. Voters shmoters, it was preordained a gal was going to win, as shown by the guys that were pushed forward, and now the judges/producers are shoving their choice down our throats.
    Judges and producers tend to stay away from message boards as if the boards have the plague; however, we know that the Bachelor producers and at least one judge from DWTS tweet back and forth with viewers. Others may at least read the tweets if not communicate.

I do not tweet; however, those of you who do might consider nicely but firmly stating how you feel about the judges pushing their biased choices down the viewers' throats in order to influence votes and the winner. That is what gets their attention and is necessary for them to realize that everyone is on to it and don't like it. It effects ratings, and that counts big time.
    Shoepie likes this.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

You would think they would learn. Trying to push their favorite on the public always seems to backfire, so why do they keep doing it?

I'm in a minority here, but I didn't like Lee's song at all. I hope he was singing live, because if that was the recorded version, whoever produced it should be ashamed of their abilities. I thought Stephano was okay, but I don't really see him becoming a huge hit. Maybe that's why they had both Stephano and Lee perform during "One Hit Wonder" week?
    Shoepie, jammyjoe, Debb70 and 1 others like this.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

FORT Fogey

I laughed to see Kree in the top two since Nikki did the Simon thing----predicting that she would go home.
    Shoepie likes this.

FORT Fogey

Lil Bit - thank you...I had to mute the TV for Lee's song...the singing and instruments didn't seem to match up with pace.

Judges will never learn that the harder they try, the less we listen. At least they don't get score paddles like DWTS - the reason I stopped watching...it should be about us and how we view the contestant.
    Lil Bit likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    I am not sure what was so special about Angie last night. I mean really she did nothing awe worthy. Its like AI sent memo out "we decided to push Angie and down with Candice & Kree. So they want a current singer well limit your music choices to songs within the last 5 years. yeah I am going to have to switch to the voice permanently next season. I have had enough.
    Cheers - I am feeling the same way - from the beginning pimping Angie...when she really is only effective (somewhat for us) at the piano...if you can't sing without being behind and banging (for emotional emphasis) then stick with writing and not solo act singing.
    MsDiva2007 likes this.

To the Point

I think that Amber has been pimped the most widely throughout the whole of the competition with some Angie thrown in at different times. Amber has indeed had some pitch problems in several songs on several nights and not been called on said problems. Angie has a tendency to get screamy behind the piano to my ears. They have all had there issues but I do think Amber and Angie have both been pimped the hardest and in that order.

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    There are multiple interpretations of and opinions regarding the meaning of the lyrics of MacArthur Park. They range from the unrequited love to the green icing on the cake symbolizing hashish and melting minds!

The important thing is that having NO idea what the song means does not lend itself to a good performance. Jimmy was correct.
    Are all of the interpretations given by Jimmy Webb? Otherwise, I'll go with what he says that it was after the breakup of a love affair, and they used to meet in MacArthur Park because she worked across the street. Sometimes there is no "hidden meaning" in songs. I do agree it's not a good performance song, and definitely needs the entire song and not just snippets. I don't understand why anyone would sing a song that they don't understand the lyrics, or at least have their own interpretation of them, but I think a lot of these singers are only concerned with how they can use their range, how they can add runs and trills, how they can "make it their own," that they don't really care if it has any meaning or not.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerusty View Post
    I am so much in the minority here. I loved Donna Summer's version of MacArthur Park and I loved Emotion by Samantha Sang. I even had the 8 track of her album titled "Emotion" which I wore out playing it so much when I was a teenager. The Bee Gees didn't record that song until 2001 although Robin and Barry co-wrote it and Barry sung backgrounds vocals on Samantha's hit version in 1978.
    I'm also in the minority I guess, because I liked Emotion by Samatha Sang as well. I definitely didn't care much for Donna Summer's version of MacArthur Park, but maybe because I love Richard Harris' version so much and didn't like it being turned into disco.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

+ Reply to Thread