+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: 3/27 AI 12 Top 8 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 3/27 AI 12 Top 8 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

I must say, My Cherie Amour is one of my least favorite songs in, well, forever. No matter who sings it is not doing themselves any favors in my book. It ranks right there with the god awful MacArthur Park for me.

Amber, I want to like you & I do like you more than Candice, but in a vote splitting kind of way, I think your days are numbered.

Lazjaya, how does it feel to be the worst every week & watch as more talented contestants leave before you. If we all had to drink a pint of Jack Black every week after Mariah lauds this guy for his courage, we'd all be alcoholics by now.

I'm over the Candice over singing every week. Nice good, girl voice, but she needs to reign it in. And something in me says she is very egotistical.

Angie, I don't think you are ever going to get over the perceived "beauty pageant" label. I don't get it, but there it is.

As I said up thread, I am still rooting for Kree, but Janelle is killing it every week with her interpretive skills and her ability to set a well known song on it's head.

Kree for the Win!
    Shoepie likes this.

I think Lazaro is a good singer and a really nice kid, but he seems to be in way over his head in this competition. I think the kindest thing they could do is send him home so he can get an early start learning all the songs they'll be singing on the tour.

Angie is one of my favorites but she's rapidly going down hill. I have to agree with Mariah and say that she needs to get back behind the piano, even if that limits her somewhat.

As for the judges... yeah, I too thought Mariah was drunk. And has anyone else noticed that both Nikki and Mariah have to be helped to their seats every show by Randy and Keith? They both wear shoes that they can NOT walk in and they usually wear dresses that are so tight, once they finally totter to their seats and sit down, they aren't able to stand up without help again. Maybe I'm just getting old, but it just doesn't make sense to me. Oh well, at least it has cut down on the standing O's this year. Last season they went a bit overboard with them.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    I must say, My Cherie Amour is one of my least favorite songs in, well, forever. No matter who sings it is not doing themselves any favors in my book. It ranks right there with the god awful MacArthur Park for me.

Amber, I want to like you & I do like you more than Candice, but in a vote splitting kind of way, I think your days are numbered.

Lazjaya, how does it feel to be the worst every week & watch as more talented contestants leave before you. If we all had to drink a pint of Jack Black every week after Mariah lauds this guy for his courage, we'd all be alcoholics by now.

I'm over the Candice over singing every week. Nice good, girl voice, but she needs to reign it in. And something in me says she is very egotistical.

Angie, I don't think you are ever going to get over the perceived "beauty pageant" label. I don't get it, but there it is.

As I said up thread, I am still rooting for Kree, but Janelle is killing it every week with her interpretive skills and her ability to set a well known song on it's head.

Kree for the Win!
    Great post and I agree with every word. Ha ha ha ha ha ha @ MacArthur Park! I haven't thought of that in years. And now, damn you, it is in my head.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 03-28-2013 at 11:28 AM.
    libgirl2 likes this.

FORT Fogey

echo226:
    what Lazaro said was "none of us knew the words" and they all agreed with him.
    THANK YOU for this (although I really should have watched again!)! Just more proof that all THREE guys should have just stood there quietly and taken the judging!

jammyjoe:
    Everyone knew that Laz screwed up and threw everyone off as a result.
    If "everyone knew," then....see above comment!
    Last edited by WinkyD; 03-28-2013 at 11:51 AM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit View Post
    I think Lazaro is a good singer and a really nice kid, but he seems to be in way over his head in this competition. I think the kindest thing they could do is send him home so he can get an early start learning all the songs they'll be singing on the tour.

Angie is one of my favorites but she's rapidly going down hill. I have to agree with Mariah and say that she needs to get back behind the piano, even if that limits her somewhat.

As for the judges... yeah, I too thought Mariah was drunk. And has anyone else noticed that both Nikki and Mariah have to be helped to their seats every show by Randy and Keith? They both wear shoes that they can NOT walk in and they usually wear dresses that are so tight, once they finally totter to their seats and sit down, they aren't able to stand up without help again. Maybe I'm just getting old, but it just doesn't make sense to me. Oh well, at least it has cut down on the standing O's this year. Last season they went a bit overboard with them.
    How funny - unfortunate, but true. He is struggling so badly now with memorizing the lyrics of just one solo and his group number. It is only going to get more difficult for him as the season progresses.

Angie might can succeed in the contemporary Christian field staying behind the piano at concerts, but I am not convinced. I surely would not bet the rent. I think even the young people in that venue want - probably demand - more action, interaction and pizazz than that from their concerts. I haven't been to one in several years, but I watched pieces of an extremely successful young group ( close to Angie's age) on UTube, and they are out there with the razz-ma-tazz lights, modest but fashionable hair, color, clothes and make-up, and definitely with stage movements, etc., despite the song content being decidedly lyrically Christian. The kids in the audience were interacting just like they typically do at any other concert - minus any signs of drinking or drugs.
    I am afraid Angie might be too boring just behind the piano.

Razorbacker, I'm right there with you regarding My Cherie Amour. Blech. However, I do loves me an occasional cake being left out in the rain.

And it's funny you mentioned becoming an alcoholic regarding Mariah's over lauds. As I was reading the AI posts yesterday, I kept thinking to myself, If I had a drink every time I read the phrase, "...pity vote...," I'd be plumb snookered in less than 12 minutes!
    Misty8723 likes this.
    Impossible things are being done every day.

Originally Posted by Gutmutter
    Janelle doing an interpretation of "Why Don't You Baby?" that she came up with when she was 14.
    Do What?
    It was You Keep Me Hanign On & I thought Janelle stole the show with it. Still rooting for Kree, but this is the second week on a row that Janelle was top of the lot for me.
    Here is a portion of the lyrics. I think "Why don't you baby" (or some version thereof) may be repeated in this song as many times as "You keep me hangin on"!!

Set me free, why don't cha babe
    Let me be, why don't cha babe
    'Cause you don't really love me
    You just keep me hangin' on

See? Most of us are too young to remember all these songs and titles.!

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    Sitting behid the piano and singing worked very well for Billy Joel. It was all he needed to be tremendously successful; however, Billy Joel was a man, he performed in a different time to a different market, and to me artistically gifted as he was, Billy Joel was not particularly physically attractive.

In today's market, how well does a "stay behind the piano" singer do? I felt like Angie was trying to show the total side of her gift as an artist. Last night she showed she has a physically attractive appearance, she showed she can work the stage while interacting with the other musicians, and she showed that there is another side to Angie. In my opinion, she accomplished some things last night.

Unfortunately, that wasn't a good song for her, so people are focusing more on the song than they are on the other factors.
    I do not think this girl needs to stay behind the piano. In fact, I think putting her in that box would limit her appeal to fans and could hurt her career greatly.
    Someone said Angie has hearing loss in both ears? I think that was part of the difficulty for her last night,
    It had to be very difficult to do all that maneuvering around the the stage with the very loud instruments ( and the hot guitarist )

I thought it was the wrong song for her, but I think she was trying for a departure from Jimmy's pageant pigeonhole and it was a shock to me to hear her "pitchy".

Wasn't Colton Dixon a behind the piano, singer-songwiter guy? He is a guest tonight. As I recall he is also faith based and Ryan mentioned that about Angie last night. All very interesting.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 03-28-2013 at 01:30 PM.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Lazaro is out of his league. It's the judges' fault that they chose him for the top 5 guys when there were far better singers than him in the top 10 guys. Also, the decision had to be unanimous to make the top 5 so it was ridiculous that Jimmy had to make the decision for the judges to put Paul Jolley in. I would understand if that was Lazaro but I think the judges didn't want to put Lazaro in that situation because I know Jimmy would not have put him through. So I blame Lazaro's inclusion among the finalist on the judges. Lazaro is karaoke at best.

From TVLine:
    The judges seemed elated that Lazaro hit a much higher percentage of notes than he did on last week’s “In My Life.” But to put the performance in baking terms, dude went from starting a raging kitchen fire to merely dropping his pie face-down on the floor. “For Once in My Life” wasn’t irreparably damaged, but it still wasn’t very good. Part of the problem is that at this stage in his vocal development, Lazaro is nothing more than a solid karaoke singer: There’s no depth of emotion, there’s little creativity, and when he tries to riff on the melody it often goes awry. Add in details like that odd side-to-side dance step usually reserved for first graders who need to go pee-pee and what seemed to be an almost dismissive response to the judges’ feedback, and I think Lazaro is guaranteed for a Bottom 3 placing come Thursday. Grade: D+
    On the Boys' Group Performance:

When Ryan asks what went wrong, Burnell says, “I did what I was supposed to do. I ain’t throwing anybody under the bus, but this is a competition.”

Devin says “I learned my parts. I tried saving a couple of people.”

Lazaro says “I didn’t know the words that well.”

I have to ask: Why did Lazaro think it was okay to forget his lyrics and not even bother with the simple choreographed dance moves? Yeah, Burnell’s “not to throw anyone under the bus…” and Devin’s “I learned my parts. I tried saving a couple people,” may not have been tactful, but it’s not like they could ignore Seacrest’s question — or what had just gone down in their performance just seconds prior.

How can one forget his parts when there are only a couple of verses to memorize? Lazaro was very unprofessional. Sometimes you just have to admit that you messed up. That would have been a test of his character and endear the audience more to him but instead he made up excuses and looked even worse. As for the other two, it wasn't their fault, they were just fending for themselves after the critique but they didn't want to mention names. Devin said "a couple or people" when he actually meant just Lazaro. Not fair that Randy and Nikki dissed on Janelle but they didn't diss on Lazaro for his screw-up. They criticized the performance but not who caused the disaster that threw the whole thing off-kilter. I wish that was Hollywood Week as Lazaro would have been gone.

The bottom line is, the judges have been assessing Lazaro's subpar performances using a very different (lower) standard, obviously because of his affliction, than they employ for this season's less fragile (but more talented) singers. And this simply is not fair--to viewers, to the contestants, or even to Lazaro himself. It has to stop.
    Last edited by jammyjoe; 03-28-2013 at 02:57 PM.
    RealVoyeur and mesachick like this.

[QUOTE

I would rather listen to Lazaro than either Burnell or Devin.[/QUOTE]

I like Lazaro but he is starting to take advantage of the sympathy he is getting from people. He clearly forgot words yet again. In the trio he was the worse by far again with words and forgetting the moves. We are too far along in the competiton for this to be an issue. Lazaro is clearly not in league with the others and not ready for this yet. time for him to go!
    RealVoyeur likes this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe View Post
    Lazaro is out of his league. [B]It's the judges' fault that they chose him for the top 5 guys [/B]when there were far better singers than him in the top 10 guys. Also, the decision had to be unanimous to make the top 5 so it was ridiculous that Jimmy had to make the decision for the judges to put Paul Jolley in. I would understand if that was Lazaro but I think the judges didn't want to put Lazaro in that situation because I know Jimmy would not have put him through. So I blame Lazaro's inclusion among the finalist on the judges. Lazaro is karaoke at best.p.
    I believe you are mistaken. I think the judges only put through the TOP TEN (10) of each gender and America's votes pared 10 of each gender down to 5. I did not watch all of the auditions, but there must have been a reason they kept Lazaro in.

On the Boys' Group Performance:

When Ryan asks what went wrong, Burnell says, “I did what I was supposed to do. I ain’t throwing anybody under the bus, but this is a competition.”

Devin says “I learned my parts. I tried saving a couple of people.”

Lazaro says “I didn’t know the words that well.”

I have to ask: Why did Lazaro think it was okay to forget his lyrics and not even bother with the simple choreographed dance moves? Yeah, Burnell’s “not to throw anyone under the bus…” and Devin’s “I learned my parts. I tried saving a couple people,” may not have been tactful, but it’s not like they could ignore Seacrest’s question — or what had just gone down in their performance just seconds prior.

How can one forget his parts when there are only a couple of verses to memorize? Lazaro was very unprofessional. Sometimes you just have to admit that you messed up. That would have been a test of his character and endear the audience more to him but instead he made up excuses and looked even worse. As for the other two, it wasn't their fault, they were just fending for themselves after the critique but they didn't want to mention names. Devin said "a couple or people" when he actually meant just Lazaro. Not fair that Randy and Nikki dissed on Janelle but they didn't diss on Lazaro for his screw-up. They criticized the performance but not who caused the disaster that threw the whole thing off-kilter. I wish that was Hollywood Week as Lazaro would have been gone.

The bottom line is, the judges have been assessing Lazaro's subpar performances using a very different (lower) standard, obviously because of his affliction, than they employ for this season's less fragile (but more talented) singers. And this simply is not fair--to viewers, to the contestants, or even to Lazaro himself. It has to stop.
    I believe Lazaro stuttered that WE didn't know all the words. I did notice that Devin seemed to be doing the most singing ... but with any stage performance with others... you subtly ad lib, feed lines, lyrics etc. in order to work together.

At least Lazaro was honest. I am starting to think that these guys are probably not happy with all the attention Lazaro gets. Either of them would love to be the last MAN standing ... so I believe that they wanted anyone but themselves to be under the bus!

I thought Burnell was particularly a jerk, and it was unprofessional to respond that way or at all.. Time for HIM to go sell ice cream Dev basically threw both of the other two under the bus. Shame on them.

The girls certainly didn't act that way.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread