+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: 3/29 AI 11 Top 9 Results Show **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 3/29 AI 11 Top 9 Results Show **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    As for DeAndre - he has a certain style to him. It's not just little girls voting for him. You have to remember that in the 70's this type of singing was what was in. I grew up listening and loving this kind of music. Earth, Wind and Fire, The Whispers, even Aerosmith with songs like Dream On. Eddie Kendricks (the Temptations), Smokey Robinson, Prince. All extremely popular artists/bands. The thing is that DeAndre sings this style to perfection. You don't like the style, that's perfectly fine. I don't like screechy, over the top gospel styles. But DeAndre can sing, period, he's got a great voice outside the falsetto as well. I would love to hear him sing Reasons by Earth, Wind and Fire, if he gets the chance. He'd slay it. Personally, I am super glad he gets to stay in another week. At least he is taking this seriously, unlike Heejun was. I said the same thing when I gave my picks this week.. with the majority of the contestants singing so well last night, it's coming down to personal preference of style, not whether they sang poorly or not. *off my soapbox*
    I really liked Prince, back in the day. I'm not seeing the similarities - maybe he'll do a Prince song from the 80s next week, then I can see, and maybe appreciate him a little more.

As you listed the bands/artists, the BeeGees also came to mind for DeAndre's type of singing. You're right - there was a lot of it in the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by navybelle View Post
    I really liked Prince, back in the day. I'm not seeing the similarities - maybe he'll do a Prince song from the 80s next week, then I can see, and maybe appreciate him a little more.

As you listed the bands/artists, the BeeGees also came to mind for DeAndre's type of singing. You're right - there was a lot of it in the 70s.
    I can't believe I forgot the BeeGees LOL... they weren't popular at all huh... they only had 30 top 40 hits during their time. Not to mention a top selling soundtrack from a little flick called Saturday Night Fever.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    I can't believe I forgot the BeeGees LOL... they weren't popular at all huh... they only had 30 top 40 hits during their time. Not to mention a top selling soundtrack from a little flick called Saturday Night Fever.

Barry Gibb always sang in a high voice, he didn't have a strong voice, yet sold millions ... how did that happen? Herein lies the problem with AI, the majority of the winners have not become pop icons ... I don't know if the entire problem is with the voters/judges putting through ballad singers; or if a large problem is with the record company/marketing people Idol puts them with.

Yes I love Deandre also. Apparently we do have some people with a real appreciation for R&B and Soul music. Deandre is in the lane of Dangelo, Prince, Phillip Bailey(Earth,Wind & fire) and Eric Benet. It's called American Idol for a reason. The Idols should come from all lanes or genres of music. I mean if we have the same genre win every year, what is the use of those who don't sing Country or Rock auditioning?
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Check out my post here regarding what songs Deandre should sing

http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forum...ml#post4440462

I wish it's 90s theme instead so he can sing Lenny Kravitz' "It Aint over Till it's Over"
    Lenny Kravitz - It Ain't Over Til It's Over - YouTube
    MsDiva2007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe View Post
    Check out my post here regarding what songs Deandre should sing

http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forum...ml#post4440462

I wish it's 90s theme instead so he can sing Lenny Kravitz' "It Aint over Till it's Over"
    Lenny Kravitz - It Ain't Over Til It's Over - YouTube
    That would be perfect!

And if it's Motown theme, he can sing More Love by Smokey Robinson Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - More Love (Original Stereo) - YouTube or Hey There Lonely Girl by The Stylistics The Stylistics - Hey There Lonely Girl. - YouTube

Memory lane here.

Quote Originally Posted by navybelle View Post
    I really liked Prince, back in the day. I'm not seeing the similarities...
    Neither am I. And I'm a huge Prince fan, from way, way before Purple Rain. Also of the Bee Gees. It's not that I dislike falsetto singing or R&B, I just don't like DeAndre's version of it. Not liking one contestant's style doesn't mean I'm condemning a whole genre.
    sclilred1, Jezebella and navybelle like this.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

FORT Fogey

Nobody commented on ST's refusal of the save. He said (parapharase).... you knew this was coming...it started a few weeks ago and then you ramped it up a few notches....

My interpretation was that there had been other things that annoyed the judges? And the comedy show last week was just one more thing?

I had to laugh to see ST (!!) act the mean school teacher and that was how I interpreted his scolding.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Wha? Skylar in the bottom three over DeAndre? Ooookay. And I'm not even a big Skylar fan.
    IMO the reason Skylar may not have a huge fan base with the country fans is that she is soooooo much like Miranda Lambert. I'm not sure how many on these boards follow country music, but I do and while I really like Miranda, seeing an impersonation of her, is not that amusing week after week, and that's what I think Skylar does. I hope she moves into her own next week. To demonstrate, here a clip of Miranda performing:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg-mvVYZ4tc

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    Yes I love Deandre also. Apparently we do have some people with a real appreciation for R&B and Soul music. Deandre is in the lane of Dangelo, Prince, Phillip Bailey(Earth,Wind & fire) and Eric Benet.
    And don't forget Terrence Trent Darby...everytime I hear DeAndre sing, I hear think of Terrence Trenty Darby, who was awesome back in the '90's: "Sign your name across my heart...I want you to be my baaaaay-bay!"
    MsDiva2007 likes this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

+ Reply to Thread