+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 4/27 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 4/27 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Random thoughts on this rather boring season:

1. Scotty did a very good job, indeed. But for my money, he's no Patrick ("The Voice") Thomas. Then again, Thomas is three years older (he's 20) and that extra three years of training, practice, and life experience makes a big difference, AFAIC. One thing I've grown tired of this season is the constant "just give him/her a few years, he/she will be great" observations. That's not what this show is supposed to be about. It's not called "Future American Idol" or "Potential American Idol". Then again, the goal of the show appears to be to get the most viewers and make the most money, and finding an idol is secondary.

2. James Durbin really has a lovely voice when he's not screaming or being drowned out by a band. He also, IMHO, has the "it" factor that Simon Cowell talks about. He is so personable on the stage and seems to have good instincts for what to do with a song. I also happen to think a number of women might find that Tourettes twitching a bit endearing.

3. Haley has never, in my mind, really established what type of singer she wants to be. I think that's because she's really a cabaret singer, and AI doesn't promote that genre.

Quote Originally Posted by dallas_viewer View Post

3. Haley has never, in my mind, really established what type of singer she wants to be. I think that's because she's really a cabaret singer, and AI doesn't promote that genre.
    I agree, she doesn't seem to have a niche other then the one I feel is being forced on her (and she does well). Alot of past AI contestants you just knew what they would sing for their careers.... this season, Scotty is county, James is rock/metal.... in the past, you knew where a Bo, Carrie, Chrystal, Kris etc... were going. I'm not sure if she knows.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by yourefired View Post

i also wish that instead of lowering the minimum age that they'd raised it. I do like scotty and lauren, but i wish they'd had a bit more seasoning before auditioning (lauren especially).
    absolutely agree

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by yourefired View Post
    I also wish that instead of lowering the minimum age that they'd raised it. I do like Scotty and Lauren, but I wish they'd had a bit more seasoning before auditioning (Lauren especially).
    I think Scotty seems to be better at ignoring alot of the garbage that goes with being on this show, such as all of us on the internet ripping on them, than Lauren. At the very least it doesn't seem to have worn on him the way I suspect it has worn on Lauren. I'm sure many things play into this whole dynamic such as gender, age, personality, etc., so I do agree that another few years would certainly help. With most of us, maturity allows us to filter the views of others with a more developed ability to just ignore or let the worthless junk fall away. I think that Lauren's confidence has been greatly shaken by all the peripheral garbage that is part of the package.

One of the things I have found fascinating about this show is the way the wear and tear impacts the contestants. It's one of the things that I have paid attention to over the many seasons. There have only been a couple of seasons that I've watched every show, however, I usually try to watch the first couple of shows and then scattered shows for the remainder of the season. Without fail you can see the impact of the wear and tear as the season goes on. I mention this because last night my heart ached for Jacob, for some reason I just feel that this show is beginning to eat him up. I'm not a huge fan of his style/voice, however I think he seems like such a great guy.
    Last edited by NCLurker; 04-28-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by liedenfrost View Post
    [B]April 27, 2011: The Top Six
    [\Smart Choices for Scott

1. Anymore (Travis Tritt); (a musical masterpiece; and Travis Tritt is one of the finest singers in all of country music; second half of this song is absolutely spine tingling).
    2. Must Be Doing Something Right (Billy Currington; one the sexiest celebrations of romantic love in this or any other genre)
    3. Making Memories of Us (Keith Urban; by the numbers, the most romantic contemporary country love song of the last decade; Keith Urban is liquid soul).
    4. History In The Making (Darius Rucker; contemporary pop country at its finest; a beautiful ballad from country musicís newest superstar)...
    5. Live like Youíre Dying (Tim McGraw; without question, the most cerebral country song of the last ten years; a masterful composition; brilliant lyrics; great storyline)..
    6. When You Come Back To Me Again (Garth Brooks; yet another tear-jerker from the incomparable Garth Brooks)
    7. Itís Wonít Be Like This For Long (Darius Rucker; another contemporary country pop chart topper from countryís newest sensation)
    8. The Change (Garth Brooks); another heart-tugging ballad from countryís best balladeer)
    9. Walking in Memphis (Marc Cohn; fantastic storyline; insanely popular; will be well-received).
    10. Smoke A Little Smoke (Eric Church; foot stomping, politically incorrect, country funk at its finest, from the delightfully devilish Eric Church).
    11. Home (Blake Shelton; a beautiful interpretation of this Michael Buble classic )
    12. Me and You (Kenny Chesney; one of the few musically coherent compositions from this wildly popular country music superstar).
    Great selections. My favorite from your list is Anymore. GREAT song and Scottie would handle it well IMO. I also think he could do The Dance by Garth Brooks well. It just may be a little too mature for him, however, it does have a haunting quality to it.

I usually haven't been impressed by Scotty, but he did a great job last night. His phrasing and tempo were nicely varied, and he really brought out the emotion of that great Carole King song. And he held the microphone in one hand, like a normal person!

As usually, I loved Jacob. He sang the song with a different kind of rolling beat to it, showcasing his rhythm-and-blues style. And his "scatting" was as good as any pro that I have seen. I've watched this performance several times on the DVR, bopping to the rhythm and marveling at Jacob's varied use of tone, volume, pacing and emotion to convey the song.

The only other person who did well was James. He definitely is a much better singer than his past shouting performances have shown. Take a good Carole King song without the fireworks, and he can do it pretty well.

Lauren: She is an incredible disconnect. While she has great connection with the audience, she has NO connection to the lyrics she is singing. This girl must start figuring out how to express the meaning of the songs she is singing, or she will be out of the competition soon. She is so boring, I can never remember which song she has sung.

Haley, I agree with those who say she is a cabaret singer without a niche. Too bad, because she has a wonderful singing talent.

Casey: Love his creativity and musicianship, but his singing isn't good enough to win the contest.
    Last edited by pillbeam; 04-28-2011 at 01:11 PM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    I usually haven't been impressed by Scotty, but he did a great job last night. His phrasing and tempo were nicely varied, and he really brought out the emotion of that great Carole King song. And he held the microphone in one hand, like a normal person!

<SNIP>
    He was seated and resting his elbow on his knee. I think that help prop the mike up so his wayward elbow wouldn't go up and flatten his hand. Even when he switched hands, the other elbow was propped. I also noticed that happening in the duet when, once again, they were seated. So...problem solved as long as he remains seated or learns to tuck his elbow into his side.

Once again I found the show enjoyable and I like that they are using the competitors for the filler moments and moving what would be Results Show cutesy stuff into the Performance Show. Soon they'll go to either 1 hour or two songs each, but until then, this works just fine for me.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    He was seated and resting his elbow on his knee. I think that help prop the mike up so his wayward elbow wouldn't go up and flatten his hand. Even when he switched hands, the other elbow was propped. I also noticed that happening in the duet when, once again, they were seated. So...problem solved as long as he remains seated or learns to tuck his elbow into his side.
    I hadn't thought of the wayward elbow....good catch. I also noticed he had his head bent throughout song, a habit he's annoyed me with for weeks.
    ---
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Quote Originally Posted by liedenfrost View Post
    April 27, 2011: The Top Six

3. James Durbin. A good vocal, I guess, if you like lounge rock. I donít. Yes, he tried to re-create it in his image; gave it muscle; framed it as best he could, but thereís just not much in the Carol King songbook for James. Archibald McLeish (Ars Poetica) said, ďA poem should not mean but beĒ, and this certainly applies to music. Artistic preference is always subjective, so your choices are just as valid, but in my opinion, James is the best singer here. And, he, more than anyone, understands how the gameís played. I like him. I respect him. I didnít like this performance. Started out with promise but for some reason decided to changed tempo; and quickly descended into the bowels of pillow pop. Not for me.
    Whew! I thought I was the only one! After the a cappella part, I thought it was just bland. Scotty and Casey were my favorites, respectively.

Speaking of which, I think it's pretty much a given that the F3 will be James/Lauren/Scotty. I'd really like to see James and Scotty as the F2. Poor Lauren. She has just totally deflated from a few weeks ago. Back when she was the confident country chick, I wouldn't have minded her being F2. Now, though, I really think the guys are better. In fact, I'd rather see Casey in the F3. He might not be the best singer, but he's far more entertaining than Lauren.

Great observation about Haley being a cabaret singer. That's what she sounded like last week and this one, and I liked it. Too bad she figured it out so late, though.

Prediction for tonight: Jacob will go home, with the chemistry between her and Casey saving Haley. I think she'll go home next week, however, since she's been in the B3 virtually every week now. Then the real fun will begin as the voting blocs for Casey/James/Scotty and Lauren duke it out.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I LOVED James last night. Enough that I actually voted and I never vote. I've listened to "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" several times today and if that song is on his first album, I will definitely be buying it.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread