+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: 4/13 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 4/13 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

I really tried to like Jacob, but he rubs me the wrong way. There is a hint of cocky attitude that irks me. I dig the gospel sound in its correct moment but even the restrained Jacob I find very all over the place. He is usually off key in several areas of his performance and yet people think he sounds perfect... I think having a musical background most likely ruins competitions like these for me, I can pick out tone issues, pitch problems etc. more easily then someone who isn't familiar... Small voice issues I chalk up to nerves and give the singer a pass, knowing they just need more time and practice to get it right, but when there are glaring voice issues that the judges aren't picking up on, I am flabbergasted.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Quote Originally Posted by french dip View Post
    Totally agree about Jacob, about Clay, and about James and Lauren.
    I did not like Clay's version of the Garfunkel song. Clay has great pitch and great vocal range, but he sang it like Pia would have, with no emotional connection to the lyrics. He basically yelled the song. What I love about Jacob is that he can go beyond his great vocal range to touch the soul, the heart of the song.

Regarding Scotty, did anyone notice that he holds the mic like he's praying? It's in both hands and he tilts his head above it in a weird way. What's up with that? Does he think it's cool?

----
    ====
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    I did not like Clay's version of the Garfunkel song. Clay has great pitch and great vocal range, but he sang it like Pia would have, with no emotional connection to the lyrics. He basically yelled the song. What I love about Jacob is that he can go beyond his great vocal range to touch the soul, the heart of the song.

Regarding Scotty, did anyone notice that he holds the mic like he's praying? It's in both hands and he tilts his head above it in a weird way. What's up with that? Does he think it's cool?

----
    ====
    He's praying that folks don't all of a sudden grasp how overrated he is. So far, it's working in spades.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    [Scotty] is praying that folks don't all of a sudden grasp how overrated he is. So far, it's working in spades.
    Funny.

Although, I confess, it's kinda working in my case. I think Scotty is kinda interesting--don't know why--- I guess he has a higher power on his side.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

By the way, there were no flat notes in Casey's performance (except one or two in the beginning). I think some people are confusing dissonance with being off the note. Such an awesome performance. And I think for the people who complain about AI music being boring and predictable to bash Casey's performance is pretty hypocritical.

I agree, Magnum. Casey was playing with the tones deliberately, just like most jazz artists. Musically, he's probably the most unique talent AI has seen.

Speaking of unique talent, I think it's great that AI has paid tribute to Simon and Garfunkel by letting contestants sings their music. But there is only one vocal version of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" that counts, the one featuring Garfunkel's solo. I remember hearing Paul Simon, who wrote the song, say that when he first showed Garfunkel the song, he told Garfunkel to sing it solo. Garfunkel said "You're crazy, this is too great a song for you to give up for yourself to sing." Simon replied that he wrote the song based on Garfunkel's voice. So the singer and song are tied for eternity. Here is the classic version:

YouTube - Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water Original Version

----
    ----
    Last edited by pillbeam; 04-14-2011 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    By the way, there were no flat notes in Casey's performance (except one or two in the beginning). I think some people are confusing dissonance with being off the note. Such an awesome performance. And I think for the people who complain about AI music being boring and predictable to bash Casey's performance is pretty hypocritical.
    I was specifically referring to the beginning, yeah. I understand Jazz (it's one of the musical forms that I really like but was never able to master), and like I said, what he did at the end of the song was wonderful, but those early notes were exposed (almost no accompaniment) and something like that will stick out in a performance like that.

Quote Originally Posted by everly2 View Post
    I agree the back up singers and other persons on stage can be too much, but the worst is when the band drowns out the performance by the kids.
    Remember Hollywood week when they had to form groups and perform? They used props like a bed and a telephone booth but THEY were the only ones singing? Yeah...that episode was one of the best and it's where I really fell in love with several of contestants (Pia, Casey, and Paul). They need to just go back to the kids singing and leave the background singers out of it until the final four when they really have to give the performances of their lives.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post

Scotty - In prior weeks, I thought he was a pretty good country singer. Did not enjoy him tonight, though. And, while he may be good, he's just not memorable for me, at all.

I find him kind of boring since all he does is the same tired country song every week. He's pretty much coasting since he knows he's got it made no matter what happens.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

You may be right about the coasting part.
    I read that he and Lauren are actually the top 2 vote getters.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread