+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: 4/6 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 4/6 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    And those comments had the contestants scrambling to please Simon every week. When Simon was around, a contestant would finish up his/her performance and we'd watch as they cringed when it was Simon's turn to give his comments. Whether his comments were constructive or not, at least he created a sense of urgency amongst the contestants that made them want to give the performance of their lives each week in an effort to please Simon and at the same avoid his hard-hitting comments. And when he did give one of them glowing praise (which didn't happen that often), the look of elation and euphoria on the contestants faces was undeniable. Randy and Paula could praise the contestants performances until the cows came home, but at the end of the day the judge all the contestants wanted to please was Simon. At least that was something.

With this season's judges / contestants love-fest, everything is all sunshine and daisies. Since the judges love everyone I haven't seen the contestants try as hard as they could.

The fact that we're arguing about a judge who's no longer there is pretty indicative of how exciting this season is. I personally didn't mind Simon because I lived in Britain for several years so I'm used to them. Besides, as others have pointed out, many contestants have said they appreciated Simon the best because he was honest and kept them on their game. If he praised you then you knew that you truly deserved it. From the auditions to the finale, you would see contestants waiting to hear what Simon said because they knew he was the ultimate judge.

Compare that to who Paula would make some inane remark about your hair and Randy who on a good night might say you were pitchy. Compare that to "a million guys in bars are drooling over you" or "I love you" repeated ad nauseum no matter how badly you performed. And as Noreality pointed out, once you leave the cosseted world of AI, then the rest of the music industry is not going to treat you like Tyler, JLo, Paula, or Randy.

On a completely unrelated note, I meant to put this in my episode summary but forgot. I much preferred Will.i.am's version of WAMLAW than Stephano's.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I prefer will.i.am's version of anything to any contestant on the show.
    He's a performer.

I think the whole thing with Pia, by the way, has probably served AI's purpose.
    It's at least created some buzz about this season.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I think some artist these days have to use Auto Tune because they can't sing.
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

Quote Originally Posted by Love_Me View Post
    I think some artist these days have to use Auto Tune because they can't sing.
    Auto tune is the best friend of Britney Spears & Taylor Swift, neither of whom can carry a tune in a whole slough of buckets.

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    Auto tune is the best friend of Britney Spears & Taylor Swift, neither of whom can carry a tune in a whole slough of buckets.
    Now that's a whole bucket of truth!

Is that what it's called? I despise that. IMO, that's a pretty clear indication they can't sing.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    Is that what it's called? I despise that. IMO, that's a pretty clear indication they can't sing.
    Very few of the kids that come from Idol ever have to use the process. In fact, I know of none. Folks like Taylor Swift have to use the crapola out of it on their live shows & on their albums. You get a true feel for how bad some of them are when they perform on an Awards program & the producers don't let them auto tune.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    Very few of the kids that come from Idol ever have to use the process. In fact, I know of none. Folks like Taylor Swift have to use the crapola out of it on their live shows & on their albums. You get a true feel for how bad some of them are when they perform on an Awards program & the producers don't let them auto tune.
    Agreed as one who has cringed a plenty watching TS sing live on several shows!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

And TS won the Grammys! No wonder Kanye West was so upset.

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe View Post
    And TS won the Grammys! No wonder Kanye West was so upset.
    As much as I am no fan of his, he had a point! lol! I can't understand all the award she is winning. Her songs are cute but the girl can't sing! And not in that "Bob Dylan doesn't have a good singing voice, but his voice is quite moving" way but as in a "yikes she's hurting my ears" way!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread