+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: 4/6 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 4/6 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post
    I'm not sure what was wrong with me tonight but I didn't hear/see what y'all are typing. None of these kids impressed me at all. I sat there and yes, there were people performing on the stage, singing songs I knew but didn't get much out of it at all. I liked James tonight but it was just nice. My ex-bf sings an awesome Have You Ever Seen The Rain so I compared Casey's version to his and the ex sang it much, much better.

Most of these kids are pretty good but I'm still patiently waiting for a Cook/Daughtry/Lambert moment. Where I hear the song, watch/listen to it over and over and over again. This year I have only listened to Maybe I'm Amazed and Maggie May more than once but less than 10. Meh, maybe my expectations are too high.
    I'm with you. None of 'em stand out. The judges really screwed up bringing this group forward I think. They went for "looks and decent voices" rather than "performers and decent voices". I, for one, and pretty bored and disappointed.

For me, the best performers of all time on Idol are Kelly C., Fantasia, B., and Adam L.

I was watching a few of their old performances on You Tube and ran across Kelly C's "Natural Woman". Steven T. and JLo really liked Lauren at the beginning. In fact they said they thought they found their winner, but geeze. She didn't even come close to Kelly in either voice or performance. I am a huge Randy Jackson fan, and I'm glad he said something. I think he needed to recognize the different skilll level going on this year from past years to validate the show a bit, e.g. a roundabout way of saying, "yeah, we know our contestants aren't that great this year..."

Sidenote about James Durbin...he really shouldn't be compared to Adam L. because they do different things. However, given their ability to hit high notes long and hard, it's impossible not to. I watched a few of Adam's old AI videos. For me, Adam has a much more deep and appealing tone. However, I actually think James has more range and fluidity.

For me, James and Scotty are the only 2 guys worth much in the top 12. In fact, I think one of these two will win. I think it will be Scotty give that the young girls seem to adore him.
    Last edited by Jexter; 04-07-2011 at 03:34 AM.

FORT Fogey

I think it is becoming the same show over and over again. Naima was really the only one who surprised us on a weekly basis. She is gone now and everyone else stays in their comfort zone. You could watch last weeks episode this week and not really know the difference. I liked the themed weeks because it forced variety. But after Adam Lambert came along and decided to change the songs to suit his range instead of keeping in theme, nobody seems to venture far from what is comfortable. As a result, the challenges are much easier for the idols and the show lacks outstanding performances.
    There was nothing special about this show tonight. And the judges need to start picking these contestants apart if they want it to be entertaining. This is the first season ever that I have been so disinterested that I watched Survivor and Top Model before watching Idol on DVR.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    I'm with you. None of 'em stand out. The judges really screwed up bringing this group forward I think. They went for "looks and decent voices" rather than "performers and decent voices". I, for one, and pretty bored and disappointed.
    Me too, I kept waiting for something good to happen. I thought Lauren would bring it but then she sang the most boring song possible. James was decent till he screeched. Pia promised an uptempo song and yet somehow managed to sound exactly the same by turning it into a screaming ballad.

I was so bored that I wound up going to bed.

I think I'm done with this season. I have no idea what went wrong, it had so much promise at the beginning. But then they muzzled Steven and all he says is "beautiful" now and the contestants all started following some boring script.

You can literally guess what each and every one is going to do and check off each item.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

April 06, 2011: The Top Nine

Plea to the AI Producers: Would one night of hard rock negatively affect Nielsen ratings? America is the only Idol competition in the Western World without an authentic Hard Rock Theme. Australia has one, Norway has one; The Netherlands has one; Slovakia has one; Sweden rocks out two or three times each season. Why is America the only Idol competition to consistently thumb its nose at hard rock? We watched nine performances tonight and hard rock was not represented in any of them. Even the light/pop rock offered was more than fifty years old. Given their history, I’m shocked Randy and Steven wouldn’t work harder to promote and bring to the Idol stage at least one night of authentic hard rock; the genre that made them famous and afforded them a life most of us can only dream about.

1. Pia Toscano. Several reached the warning track but this is the only one to leave the park, and even this one was wind-aided. I’m a rock purist, an R&B purist as well, so my critiques are influenced by that. But none of that affects my critique of this performance. It was absolutely perfect; entertaining, playful, sexy, engaging, and vocally exquisite. I hope Jenny and Randy find a different pet project soon, so they can leave Pia alone. Yes, Jenny made millions doing it (house, dance, and club music), and it fits well with who she is as an artist (singer and dancer), but it’s not Pia Toscano. What is it exactly these two want from her? Of all people, Jenny should know that physical rhythm cannot be learned, or even faked, overnight. Eminem is one of the best contemporary lyricists in the world, and one of the richest, but has zero physical rhythm, so never dances. Celine Dion, arguably the best torch/power balladeer in the world, can’t dance. Whitney Houston can’t dance either. Didn’t hurt their careers any; all are fat rats, and they did without busting a single move. Have you ever seen uber-pop sensation Enrique Iglesias dance? Painful to watch, but females don’t pack the aisles at his concert to watch him dance, or sing. They’re there for an entirely different reason (dude is pretty). It seems Jenny is pushing Pia to be a JLo clone, Beyonce, Shakira, Gwen Stefani, or Christina Aguilera? As if the Pia we know and love is somehow incomplete. Pia doesn’t need to dance, something she clearly can’t do, to go up-tempo in concert. She can do what Celine does; pay well-trained and/or naturally gifted dancers to do it for her.
    2. Haley Reinhart. Kick off the shoes and you’d have a teenage Joss Stone, but definitely not Janis Joplin. With the possible exception of Dinah Washington and the early Aretha Franklin, I don’t think I’ve ever heard a singer personify hurt and pain the way Janis did it. None of that was present in this performance. Haley is simply too young to know the pain of loving and losing, so unable to project this emotion. Haley performed this song very well, gave it everything she had, sang her heart out, and I loved and appreciated what she did, but it didn’t come close to the original. To be honest, I never thought it would. Allison Iraheta (same age) is a much better singer; the most authentic growler this show has ever seen, and one of my all time favorite contestants, but even she, with genuine Joplin-esque tone, couldn’t find the heart of Cry Baby on the Idol stage (she certainly can these days). I’ve seen this play out before, so wasn’t expecting an exact copy from Haley. Still, this performance was highly entertaining, robust, gritty, and sensual; certainly better than the rest. I love what Haley’s doing these days; it fits; the new stuff is light years better than a few weeks ago. Finally, Randy said several others killed this song. Which Idol contestant sang Piece Of My Heart better than Haley? The answer: nobody.
    3. Scott McCreery. Didn’t like anything about this performance. Musically vapid and sorta silly, actually. But like Enrique, he’s got burgeoning charm and gave the girls what they needed, so the rest doesn’t matter. The mundane vocal doesn’t change how I feel about him. I like this kid. He is, in my opinion, the most marketable of this year’s contestants, and it’s not even close. Still think dude is a country music superstar in the making; possibly the biggest teenage country artist since LeAnn Rimes, so I will hold him near the top of my list until America says otherwise.
    4. Jacob Lusk. I don’t have much but I give it all to him if he’d only stop dancing. Yes, he does have physical rhythm but that doesn’t mean it translate well to television. I never comment on size or weight, except where it affects marketability, but this dance didn't look good on him; especially when the theme is tolerance, brotherhood, change, and world peace. Yes, an artist must remain true to self, and he did a credible job with Man In The Mirror, but I, too, would have preferred Let’s Get It On. Aaron Kelly (sixteen y/o male, last season) was perplexed and confused by lyrics that celebrated physical expressions of love, and dedicated the song instead to his mom (prime time suicide). And now this. Guess that’s what happens when the talent is this young. Some simply haven’t matured enough and clearly are not ready for prime time. It is very difficult for a teenage male to succeed in the current pop market with a sanitized, gender neutral agenda. On a more positive note, Jacob generates beautiful, clear, and rich tonal integrity in his lower register. He should look to use it more.
    5. Casey Abrams. He sang it well but this performance, like everything he does, was more about Casey and his musicianship than the lyric. He's a born entertainer but it's hard to do that on songs like these. The vocal was loaded with what Paula used to call “colors” (Jenny termed it "flavor"), which resulted in wonderful complexity and tone for the most part, but the obvious disconnection to lyric ruined it for me.
    6. James Durbin. When a very slow, minimalist, ballad is performed, four things are essential: emotion, a memorable melody, perfect pitch, and tonal integrity. All of these were there, I think, but while I love the words, the composition is very cerebral, so a difficult listen. While My Guitar Gently Weeps is a great lyric, but not a competition song; certainly not prime time entertainment. James’ version would struggle to reach respectability on the Adult Contemporary Charts. He’s determined to do it his way. I wonder if that radical individuality is influenced by Tourette’s. My cousin has the same disease and is also insanely individualistic and resistant to criticism. Unlike my cousin, however, James will need to be careful. The eyes of record producers all over America are on him; so he can’t afford to appear difficult to work with and/or market-foolish. Millions must be invested to bring his product to market, and that cannot happen without participation, cooperation, and collaboration between him and record producers, so he must learn to compromise. Yes, it is his talent to market and some may permit him artistic freedom, but he's not there yet. At this point in his career, he doesn’t pay for anything, and won’t be allowed to gamble with house money. This is a cruel game; thousands of aspiring musicians are unceremoniously dumped by their label each year because of a failure to communicate; the inability to compromise; and worst of all; a different and diverging music vision.
    7. Stefano Langone. Unlike Jimmy, who not surprisingly, is pretty good at this stuff (a very good hire; hope he sticks around); Will I Am offered up some terrible advice to Stefano (and several others as well). I don’t think his presence on the show benefit any of the contestants. When A Man Loves A Woman is arguably the most romantic R&B love song ever written, with Otis Redding’s Your Precious Love and Marvin Gaye’s Let’s Get It On the primary contenders. Here that Jacob? So why ruin a perfectly written, slow and beautifully paced, romantic ballad by chasing the melody, rushing the lyric, and coming in on the upbeat? This isn’t hip-hop! What was he thinking? I think Stefano, left to his won devices, could have delivered a show-stopping performance had he never been exposed to Will I Am's bad advice and meddling. Stefano seems to love R&B but it is not second nature for him. He can make a living doing that, but, oh, so much work to do!
    8. Lauren Alaina. This was an okay performance, but I’m spoiled; used to better. I've lived too long; heard this song done brilliantly so many times, on so many stages; even this (Kelly Clarkson) and other Idol competitions around the world, so I know what it should be, and this wasn't it. It wasn't a bad performance; I always love the way she wraps her lyrics in sweet girlish charm, but it wasn't enough to warrant higher placement. She's a great kid with beautiful soul, but as I said before, there are those here who do it a lot better.
    9. Paul McDonald. Arguably the most stubborn Idol contestant of this or any other season. Definitely one of the most likeable dudes of this or any other season. But to these ears, one of the worst vocal performances I’ve ever heard on the Idol stage.

Funny: Seacrest, dancing. I blame Jacob. Jesus, this dude is so playful and relaxed this season, it's scary; completely comfortable in his skin.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 04-07-2011 at 06:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    I loved James tonight. Loved the song choice, loved his performance. Just wow at the emotion in it. I actually could stand Jacob tonight - whodathunkit?? Not my favorite but at least I didn't feel the need to FF through it. Scotty was crazy good. I really enjoyed his performance. Casey was another stand out for me tonight as well. The rest were good. Was a good night overall for everyone.
    I agree with all that you wrote, especially the bolded part. What a highly entertaining show that was!

And I will add that finally Paul picked a good song for his voice and gave a fun, engaging performance of it.

Casey should play the bass at least every other time while he's still in the competition -- heck, maybe even every time!

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe View Post
    I think it is becoming the same show over and over again. Naima was really the only one who surprised us on a weekly basis. She is gone now and everyone else stays in their comfort zone. You could watch last weeks episode this week and not really know the difference. I liked the themed weeks because it forced variety. But after Adam Lambert came along and decided to change the songs to suit his range instead of keeping in theme, nobody seems to venture far from what is comfortable. As a result, the challenges are much easier for the idols and the show lacks outstanding performances.
    There was nothing special about this show tonight. And the judges need to start picking these contestants apart if they want it to be entertaining. This is the first season ever that I have been so disinterested that I watched Survivor and Top Model before watching Idol on DVR.
    You hit the nail on the head. Naima was the one I looked forward to seeing every week because she was constantly switching things up. I thought she was great. The show definitely lacked something without her last night.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Best of the night:

Pia
    Haley
    Paul

Worst:

Stefano
    Jacob
    Alaina

I agree - I thought they were all decent tonight. I have to admit I fast forward through most of Scotty & Lauren 'cause I can't take the country style but I think the worst of the bunch tonight was either Paul or Lauren. Not that they were bad but just not as good.
    Roz

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Quemoni View Post
    Casey, returned to what made him gret in the beginning. The upright bass helps him bring a song home.

Scotty, yeah Elvis re-incarnated for sure. But, I don't want another Elvis. I love Scotty's voice, I do. But, he needs to find his own voice within his voice. Who is Scotty?
    I think Scotty is pretty clear on who Scotty is. I also think he has consistently performed accordingly. Lots of big name artist have been known to step outside their genre/normal mode at times, so I don't see anything wrong with is choosing to do Elvis. I'm sure he's been very aware of what the viewing audience had been saying about his being a "one trick pony". Perhaps he just took the opportunity to pay tribute to an artist he loved when very young and an opportunity to show that he does have more than one note.

Best of the night - Scottie, James
    Scottie pulled his Elvis song off wonderfully! He proved he can step out of his genre. James, also did great last night. He sang with a lot of emotion.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

+ Reply to Thread