+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 58 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Scotty McCreery Season 10

FORT Fogey

Re: Scotty McCreery Season 10

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie View Post
    It's just his way of performing. Some hold the mic alternating between hands with one hand stretched out that can be annoying.
    I have tried to basically stay neutral. It appears to me that almost everybody left has a gesture or two or three or several that just dances on somebody or several people's last nerve or two.
    I might leave out James, but then he is trying to sing heavy metal, and that makes him a poser to some people, so he doesn't even much of a chance, and Lauren? Well, Lauren dresses like a televangelist's wife and so does her mother to hear it said on the FORT, so Lauren doesn't get a chance to have any irksome gestures either ...

For the rest....I think that those nerve-racking gestures can be worked on with good coaching. Somebody can coach Jacob how not to flounce around, glance out of the corner of his eyes, and whatever else he does that is distracting.
    A professional can show Haley that moving her arm up and down like she is cranking up a machine while she is singing does not aid her performance.

Scotty most likely does not realize that he looks dorky holding the mic and singing out of the corner of his mouth. However, when he is shown what he looks like by someone in the field that he looks up to, he will respond!

Likewise, Casey, I am quite sure is totally unaware that while he was performing last night, at one point he leered like the big, bad wolf in Little Red Riding Hood.

In the same manner good coaching will help James and Lauren as well in whatever areas of weakness the two of them have.

Coaching will help eradicate those annoyances; on the other hand, no amount of coaching will ever help if there is no ability. That is not the problem!

Scotty in my opinion is destined for success. Somebody will help him get rid of the annoying habits he is developing. That will come with time.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I agree. I think he's really good and to think he hasn't really been transformed yet. Consider how much better Carrie was after she was polised up.

THe way he holds a mic doesn't bother me. I only noticed it because of comments on the boards. I don't see it as odd either. LOL
    Scottie is so good that I can think he could shake it up and do something a little different. I thought his Elvis tune was wonderful! He knows how to laugh at himself and act silly. I think that is appealing.
    GLAD I'm not the only one this doesn't bother! Could care less how he holds a mic, or holds his head when he sings. He's a young kid, and has a lot of time to be polished up. Fact is, for a young man his age (wouldn't matter even if he were older), he sure sings really well.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

I don't think that Scotty's weird hand grips are comparable to the other performers' behaviors, except perhaps Haley's hailing the cab arm movements. In both cases, they seemed to have made a definite, pre-thought-out choice to do those behaviors to "enhance their performances."

It's too bad, because both are very talented singers---they are among my favorites this year. No Scotty, it does not look cool or sexy to cradle the mic in two hands and look suggestively at the camera with a tilted head. No Haley, raising your arm straight up like a flag pole does not enhance your performance.

---
    ---
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Nahh..these hand/head gestures though will all but be part of their past, if they pursue a music career, and learn the stage presence techniques that goes along with it.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    GLAD I'm not the only one this doesn't bother! Could care less how he holds a mic, or holds his head when he sings. He's a young kid, and has a lot of time to be polished up. Fact is, for a young man his age (wouldn't matter even if he were older), he sure sings really well.
    I feel the same way and didn't even notice any of that until it was brought up on this board. I just love his voice, and the stage presence will come with experience .
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    I feel the same way and didn't even notice any of that until it was brought up on this board. I just love his voice, and the stage presence will come with experience .
    I'm with you guys. I didn't even notice it until I read the complaints here. It isn't a big deal to me. It's the way he performs. So what. Like I said some others would stand in front of a mic stand and raise one hand then the other or alternate the mic in their hands.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Quote Originally Posted by Love_Me View Post
    It depends on who you like more because Haley never bothers me when she performs, but Scotty alway does.

For me, it doesn't have anything to do with who I like more. I really like the singing and charisma of both Scotty and Haley-- but not their clumsy performance strategies.
    ---
    ---
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    For me, it doesn't have anything to do with who I like more. I really like the singing of both Scotty and Haley-- but not their clumsy performance strategies.
    ---
    ---

I like Scotty and Haley as well, but when Haley preforms I am not bothered by the way she carries herself on stage. With Scotty I am. JMO
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    I don't think that Scotty's weird hand grips are comparable to the other performers' behaviors, except perhaps Haley's hailing the cab arm movements. In both cases, they seemed to have made a definite, pre-thought-out choice to do those behaviors to "enhance their performances."

It's too bad, because both are very talented singers---they are among my favorites this year. No Scotty, it does not look cool or sexy to cradle the mic in two hands and look suggestively at the camera with a tilted head.

---
    ---

I have to take huge exception with the word "suggestively". I see nothing sexual when he looks "at the camera with the tilted head".

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Love_Me View Post
    I like Scotty and Haley as well, but when Haley preforms I am not bothered by the way she carries herself on stage. With Scotty I am. JMO
    The point to be made - at least as I see it - is that none of these kids has made it big time as professionals, and that includes Scotty. When they hit the beginning of that mark, they - like Carrie Underwood - will be under serious coaching, and I most sincerely do believe that somebody will say, "Hey, this is what I think you need to consider doing, working on, or quit doing if you want to be successful.

Scotty has yet to hear any advice from a big time country star. I remember Carrie and Bo's season when they brought in one of their idols to sing with them.
    Can you imagine if they brought in George Strait to sing with Scotty? Can any one think for one moment that Scotty wouldn't take advice from that man?
    If Scotty has been reluctant to take advice, it is because the moment or the person hasn't been significant enough yet perhaps, but I still say that all of the contestants will smooth out these performance wrinkles after their Idol experience with good professional coaching.
    Last edited by hepcat; 04-15-2011 at 11:38 PM.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

+ Reply to Thread