+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: James Durbin Season 10

Re: James Durbin Season 10

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    Why would you laugh at someone's pain?

Honestly, this was about the only time since I've been watching Idol that I got a bit emotional during his singing of the song. Maybe its his Aspergers, but it was obvious that song touched him deeply and it showed.
    Exactly. I saw nothing humorous about his performance. I saw a guy really really getting into his lyrics in a way that has affected him being away. His emotions were from missing his family, as he said. I can't say I was crazy about either of his song selections last night, but I thought he handled the second one well, considering how he was feeling.
    Last edited by angelic_one2002; 05-05-2011 at 03:11 PM.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    Exactly. I saw nothing humorous about his performance. I saw a guy really really getting into his lyrics in a way that has affected him being away. His emotions were from missing his family, as he said. I can't say I was crazy about either of his song selections last night, but I thought he handled the second one well, considering how he was feeling.
    I don't get it. Wasn't everybody missing their family? I can't believe that James's homesickness was any more special than anyone else's. All of the performers are under unbelievable stress---they all have good reasons to cry. What if everyone had bawled last night? Could you imagine what the TV critic reviews would say the next day: "American Idol Drowns in Tears." --
    --
    ---
    Last edited by pillbeam; 05-05-2011 at 03:23 PM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Everyone handles their emotions differently. That's all there is to it.

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    I don't get it. Wasn't everybody missing their family? I can't believe that James's homesickness was any more special than anyone else's. All of the performers are under unbelievable stress---they all have good reasons to cry. What if everyone had bawled last night? Could you imagine what the TV critic reviews would say the next day: "American Idol Drowns in Tears." --
    --
    ---
    Do you have kids? There's a HUGE difference between missing a child for whom you are the world at that age, and missing your parents and siblings.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Do you have kids? There's a HUGE difference between missing a child for whom you are the world at that age, and missing your parents and siblings.
    Yes, I do have a child. But that does not mean that my stress is any more special than people who do not have kids. I think it's arrogant of us parents to say that our stress is more intense than that of a single person. One could argue that James's status as a father could help him better deal with the stress of the show, because he has another focus in his life besides the competiton. The show is not his entire life, but for some of the other single contestants, it is everything. That is much more stressful. James's parenthood does not give him free license to unprofessionally bawl like baby.
    --
    --
    ---
    Last edited by pillbeam; 05-05-2011 at 04:15 PM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

It's not like Daddy is in prison locked away 20 to life. Daddy is on a big TV show that young Durbin can see every week. Twice. And there are family visits, I'm sure, as in all previous seasons. Scotty trotted out his perfectly camera - and voter friendly - granny, Durbin wept for votes. Same difference.

Although speaking of jail... maybe he should be chained up in the basement of the Rock Hall of Fame and fed water and moldy bread and made to listen to people singing perfectly on key for the rest of his natural life for the gross and unconscionable musical and auditory crimes he committed during this season. Maybe then he'd stop congratulating himself for "leaving it all on the stage" although I doubt it. Self-awareness doesn't seem to be part of his repertoire.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Whoa! I was just trying to suggest that he wasn't faking missing his kid. Sorry if I stepped on toes. Sheesh!
    Count your blessings!

Whoa! I was just trying to suggest that he wasn't faking missing his kid. Sorry if I stepped on toes. Sheesh!
    You didn't. I'm just under no obligation to say that this dude is good and not just a well coached puppet, or worse, skilled manipulator when he sucks to high heaven every week and is inordinately confident about his own non-existent greatness. But then, I'm not paid $7 million like JLo to read producer notes and gush. Maybe if I were, I wouldn't mind the over-the-top bawling and the off-key vocals either.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

I think he was sincerely stressed out and probably not faking the tears for votes, but I also don't think he was crying for his family. I think he was crying because the show is a freaking torture chamber for performers---no sleep, constant work and getting judged in front of millions of people. They are all exhausted and understandably freaked out. However, Fantasia and Crystal were both mothers missing their kids terribly, and they never bawled while performing onstage about it. So, I get miffed when people like James give their parenthood as an excuse for their bahavior.
    --
    ---
    Last edited by pillbeam; 05-05-2011 at 04:48 PM.

I don't think Scotty had his grandma pointed out by Ryan Seacrest. I'd say that's producer-driven, not arranged by Scotty.

+ Reply to Thread