+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516
Results 151 to 160 of 160

Thread: 5/4 Show discussion *Spoilers*

  1. #151
    Crazy Shutterbug Harmony2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,163

    Re: 5/4 Show discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3894590;
    I really hate to say this about Harry. He was a good mentor! He was a great mentor BUT I think the reason that he was so good is because he's not really, eh, in demand.
    I guess that depends on what sort of music you listen to, I listen to jazz (being from New Orleans) amongst other styles and I don't really agree with the statement that Harry isn't as in demand as the other mentors have been. Just because he's not on the top 40 radio stations doesn't mean he isn't doing his thing.

    He's about to do a Broadway special engagement, he is on tour with dates posted on his site all the way through September, he's recently done the grammys, the white house, the super bowl. I'd say he's pretty hot (and not just looks).

    The thing with Harry is that he actually cares, we see that all the time back home. He's one of those rare stars that actually remembers where he came from and sincerely tries to help as much as he can. He was very instrumental in getting people back to N.O. after Katrina.

    I think that is what made him such a success as a mentor, he cares about helping the contestants get better instead of just promoting his latest venture. And it's that quality that would make him a great judge and maybe...hopefully....some sort of permanent mentor?

    And for the group sing? I'd love to hear "Oh my NOLA" or "Jambalaya (On the Bayou) " but I'm not sure they are well known enough to make the cut.

  2. #152
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC USA
    Posts
    3,759

    Re: 5/4 Show discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by I'm MEL;3894576;
    ...Also, I found it interesting that, since it's said that the judges generally base their comments on dress rehearsal performances - which is why we sometimes say "Did they hear what I just heard?" - the judges all panned Casey, even though HC,Jr. said he was much better in rehearsal. Seemed odd to me that a better performance would have elicited all of the negatives, because that's basically all they gave him.
    I don't know where you are getting this information regarding the judges and rehearsals, but I don't believe that it is true. First, the judges are not present in the studio during rehearsals. Their stand-ins are sitting in their seats. Second, in order to evaluate the live rehearsal, they would have to be in close proximity to the audience in order to see and hear the performance. In which case they would be seen and noted by the reporters in the studio.

    The judges have admitted in the past that sometimes they listen to the live audio feed from the dress rehearsal while they are in the costume and makeup departments. But that is a far cry from seeing and evaluating a rehearsal performance - it's certainly not anything that you could use to draft a critique. It's more like a spoiler.

    Finally, why would a judge choose to critique a rehearsal rather than the live performance that they just saw? No two performances are the same, and they would just look like a fool.

    Something that has been noted many times by audience members, reporters, and even the judges themselves is that the audio mix in the studio is very different from what goes out on television. Usually this works in the contestant's favor, masking some bum notes with personality and the electricity of live theater. But at times it goes the other way as well. I think that goes a long way in explaining the discrepancy between the performance that we see and what the judges evaluate.

  3. #153
    Ruben is "Soulful" pillbeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,115

    Re: 5/4 Show discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3894714;

    Finally, why would a judge choose to critique a rehearsal rather than the live performance that they just saw? No two performances are the same, and they would just look like a fool.
    Speaking of "looking like a fool," that's just what happened when Paula critiqued a contestant's performance before he had performed it on one live show. She was looking at notes she had written based on having seen the video feed of the singer's rehearsal. But Paula is a one-of-a-kind, for sure, and I don't think the judges routinely base their entire critiques on the rehearsals. However, I think they prep for the show by watching the video feeds and devise some of their "cute comments" at that time.
    --
    Last edited by pillbeam; 05-05-2010 at 04:55 PM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

  4. #154
    FORT Aficionado echo226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Stuck in the Middle
    Posts
    8,645

    Re: 5/4 Show discussion *Spoilers*

    I am reasonably sure this has been asked and answered before so forgive me, but who makes the final decision on the order of appearance? It seems obvious that this is not just a random draw as they usually try to close with a memorable performance, and typically one of the better ones, as they did last night.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

    " The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

  5. #155
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mid-South
    Posts
    942

    Re: 5/4 Show discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3894714;
    I don't know where you are getting this information regarding the judges and rehearsals, but I don't believe that it is true. First, the judges are not present in the studio during rehearsals. Their stand-ins are sitting in their seats. Second, in order to evaluate the live rehearsal, they would have to be in close proximity to the audience in order to see and hear the performance. In which case they would be seen and noted by the reporters in the studio.

    The judges have admitted in the past that sometimes they listen to the live audio feed from the dress rehearsal while they are in the costume and makeup departments. But that is a far cry from seeing and evaluating a rehearsal performance - it's certainly not anything that you could use to draft a critique. It's more like a spoiler.

    Finally, why would a judge choose to critique a rehearsal rather than the live performance that they just saw? No two performances are the same, and they would just look like a fool.

    Something that has been noted many times by audience members, reporters, and even the judges themselves is that the audio mix in the studio is very different from what goes out on television. Usually this works in the contestant's favor, masking some bum notes with personality and the electricity of live theater. But at times it goes the other way as well. I think that goes a long way in explaining the discrepancy between the performance that we see and what the judges evaluate.

    I don't believe I stated that the judges watch dress rehearsal.

    I do remember hearing that they base their critiques on them. And from some of the things they say, they are obviously not walking into the live performance blindly. And I believe it was stated directly in response to Paula's blunder a couple of years ago that they do listen to the dress rehearsals, and that does affect the way they judge it. As to "why would a judge choose to critique a rehearsal rather than the live performance that they just saw? No two performances are the same, and they would just look like a fool," I can't answer the question, and, yes, they often do look like fools. I think reading back on the performance threads from this or any other season would confirm that!

    I'm really not one to make things up, and I will often say "I've heard" or "in my opinion" in my posts. That they listen to dress rehearsal performances and base some of their reviews on them I thought was common knowledge. If I am incorrect and this is no longer the case, I apologize for spouting misinformation. It was certainly not meant to offend!
    Last edited by I'm MEL; 05-05-2010 at 06:52 PM.

  6. #156
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mid-South
    Posts
    942

    Re: 5/4 Show discussion *Spoilers*

    Looking at my original post, I said, "since it's said that...."

    I thought it was a fairly benign post and wasn't expecing a 3-point rebuttal.
    Last edited by I'm MEL; 05-05-2010 at 06:53 PM.

  7. #157
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC USA
    Posts
    3,759

    Re: 5/4 Show discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by I'm MEL;3894828;
    I thought it was a fairly benign post and wasn't expecing a 3-point rebuttal.
    I did kind of jump down your throat; I apologize. When I see a logical vacuum I get sucked in and often loose the important perspective that there is a person there. I did not mean for it to come off as a personal attack. I enjoy reading your opinions and I will try to dial it back.

  8. #158
    FORT Fogey razorbacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,714

    Re: 5/4 Show discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3894545;
    I barely paid attention to the performances but watched every second of the mentoring this week. Harry is awesome. I say we start a petition for him to be Simon's replacement. Getting rid of the others might be too much to wish for, but I'd reconsider watching another season of AI if I could see Harry every week.
    Zap2It has an article this morning pimping HC Jr. as Simons replacement. I agree, he was excellent.

  9. #159
    Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NC coast
    Posts
    3,453

    Re: 5/4 Show discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3894887;
    Zap2It has an article this morning pimping HC Jr. as Simons replacement. I agree, he was excellent.

    I could see myself watching AI with HCjr as SC's replacement. I am not a big fan of his (musically speaking) but the guy knows his stuff and seems to be more articulate than the other male judge who will remain on the panel.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

  10. #160
    FORT Fogey fan*addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Posts
    3,896

    Re: 5/4 Show discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;3894904;
    I could see myself watching AI with HCjr as SC's replacement. I am not a big fan of his (musically speaking) but the guy knows his stuff and seems to be more articulate than the other male judge who will remain on the panel.
    I agree..I was thinking the same thing as he was going through all the motions last night. I wonder if AI was throwing him out there for audience reaction??

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.