+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 4/28 Results Show *Spoilers*

Re: 4/28 Results Show *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;3889543;
    I'm sorry to see Siobhan go. She was unpredicatable with a great voice. She didn't deserve to win, but I'd have liked to have seen her stick around a little longer.

Lee is the most puzzling contest. He can scream and squawk out of tune with no vocal range and still get votes. Weird.

I really like Casey and hope he ends up in the finals with the brilliant Crystal. Casey has great musical chops with a strong vocal style. I think they would make an amazing duo with their vocal and guitar strengths.

Mike and Aron are not on my radar. I can't remember their performances.
    ---
    He sounds like he growls all the way through a song to me. I love the guy but am not a fan of his voice. The sound of the voice is what I care about, I can take or leave all the artsy fartsy stuff.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3889259;
    That's just it. She's un (or maybe "badly") trained.

I know there's a lot of knee-jerk defensiveness on her behalf. I can understand it, because I myself felt initially that she was one of the best voices the show has ever had.

But as the weeks went on, it became apparent that Siobhan has a voice. She even has an incredible personality. Stage presence. But her CONTROL over all of this is shaky to non-existent.

"Self taught" don't cut it. She can hit those freakish notes via a sheer genetic bullseye. But she's got no idea how to develop the REST of her instrument.

Clive Davis and his stooges need to hold onto her option, rather than doing the usual thing of letting the #6 person out go, and get her into a vocal bootcamp. She needs 6 months of SOLID training, day in, day out. THEN lets see what she can do.

People shouldn't get so angry over this. She DOES indeed have massive potential. But she's a one trick pony until she gets serious help. That's FAR more than 90% of the people on this show can hope for. Aaron Kelly is never going to be all that much better than he is now. Casey James may be able to slide into a certain niche and do reasonably well, but he's never going to be a superstar. Siobhan, on the other hand, with SERIOUS training COULD do those things her biggest boosters believe. She just needs the work. She's not prepared to sit down and put out viable music right now, unlike Crystal, or I hate to say it... even Mike (he's cheesy and needs guidance too, but on a pure vocal level he's more than ready).

I totally agree. I think we can liken her to Jennifer Hudson. When Jennifer was on AI it was clear that she had great vocal talent, but she was all over the place. She had on nights and horribly screechy nights - but, as with Siobhan, the raw talent was always there. Now it is time to train and cultivate the raw talent, so that she understands how to properly use it and can deliver consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by cape;3889418;
    I agree with this - I have thought for a while that Lee will win.

He reminds me a lot of David Cook and even Chris. I think as others leave, he will hold the mass appeal more than Crystal.

I don't think the judges did Crystal any favors this week. I HATE more than anything when they say "it was okay but I still love you" That ticks me off - anyone else and they would have slammed her. Give her constructive criticism!! I did like that Simon was honest with her but I am getting sick of how the judges treat her.
    I'm not sure that it's worth giving Crystal constructive criticism ... she just talks back and has an answer for everything, as opposed to actually listening. "Bigger is not always better". Well, I agree with that - Casey's performance of Jealous Guy was not big, but it was powerful. Crystal's performance this past week; however, was just not good, big or small.

As a former manager of a sales team, I always used to tell my staff, "Shut up and listen" (sales people have a bad habit of talking and talking and not listening to the client - especially when the client would have given them THE answer to close the sale ... and they just kept talking over the client). I feel the same way when they are just answering Simon back (Crystal, Mike) ... just shut up and listen (as opposed to talking back) ... you might learn something that will help you significantly in your career.

Quote Originally Posted by abbiebrock;3889445;
    Exactly, Glad Lady A was on, a good example of how the judges can be very wrong.
    Was she a contestant on Idol?

Whoever the guy is in her group(?) is fantastic (she I could take or leave).

But, I agree with your general statement, the judges are often VERY wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Juls2;3889556;
    As a former manager of a sales team, I always used to tell my staff, "Shut up and listen" (sales people have a bad habit of talking and talking and not listening to the client - especially when the client would have given them THE answer to close the sale ... and they just kept talking over the client). I feel the same way when they are just answering Simon back (Crystal, Mike) ... just shut up and listen (as opposed to talking back) ... you might learn something that will help you significantly in your career.

I think Crystal did a good job with the "smaller" song. And I love her comments to the judges. They are thoughtful and on target in terms of the music. As I said in another thread, Crystal has been performing for years and knows more about her music genre than any of the judges except for veteran musican Randy Jackson. Crystal has been quite respectful to the judges even though they have said nothing that would "significantly" help her career. The only helpful thing they've said is to suggest that she up her stage presence a little, which Crystal has done. In reality, Crystal had "significantly" helped her career before American Idol by working her butt off at small music venues for the last several years. It's that tough experience and her sharp intelligence that will make her a star, not some comment from an AI judge.
    ----
    Last edited by pillbeam; 04-29-2010 at 02:25 PM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerusty;3889429;
    It's one her best tricks but it's not her only trick, her best trick is her beautiful tone. It's amazing that people keep saying that because until Tuesday she hadn't so called "screamed" in 3 weeks because Simon and Kara had discouraged her from doing what she does best and that is full out singing.
    She's screamed every week except two. The first one and House of the Rising Sun. I like her voice, I like her, I just don't like the screaming. Wouldn't matter who was doing it. I didn't like a couple of Crystal's songs either because she was too shrieky to suit me. Its just my taste in music, others loved it.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384;3889604;

I agree. I thought he was amazing.
    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384;3889604;

I liked both of them. They sang one of their beautiful compositions with all its nuances. I did not care for the pedestrian lyrics, but it is a very good song.

Honestly, when I need to listen to a good melody I turn to country music.

FORT Fogey

I've heard a lot about Lady Antebellum and that song. I was sure I'd heard it a million times. When I saw the performance last night, I realized that I had never actually heard that song before. Its supposed to be a huge cross-over hit! I can't believe I've never heard it before now!

+ Reply to Thread